Husky's 65 Restomod

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: Husky's 65 Restomod

Post by Edz66Vert »

I used the UPC hubs too but didn't bother getting their brackets as I knew i would have to custom make them for my discs. I went with the first discs below - 322 mm discs with a 68 mm offset as the hub size matched at 71 mm and the discs were 28 mm to match the BF calipers. They are great on the road. I think my mounting plate had 20 mm spacers from memory to set back the calipers. I think when my car is on the road properly I might put a bracket kit together to sell as the ones out there either use small or cheap discs, or have a big price tag like Hoppers. My setup is the same as their $1900 kit and it cost me $720.

This is the link to their current catalogue
Last edited by Edz66Vert on Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Checkout my car builds - edzv8s.com
66 Convertible Bench Seat AODE 3.5 9"
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

I picked these up from Woody last night so like you I need work out how to mount them

Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Yeah nice mate. What size rotors do they take?
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Edz66Vert wrote:I used the UPC hubs too but didn't bother getting their brackets as I knew i would have to custom make them for my discs. I went with the first discs below - 322 mm discs with a 68 mm offset as the hub size matched at 71 mm and the discs were 28 mm to match the BF calipers. They are great on the road. I think my mounting plate had 20 mm spacers from memory to set back the calipers. I think when my car is on the road properly I might put a bracket kit together to sell as the ones out there either use small or cheap discs, or have a big price tag like Hoppers. My setup is the same as their $1900 kit and it cost me $720.

This is the link to their current catalogue
Yeah I have that catalogue saved. I was studying it in depth to find rotors to suit.

Yeah the hoppers kit is pretty expensive. I think the UPC kit is good for the price, especially seeing as you can pick it up for 750-800 sometimes, but could be improved as always.

The cost of this brake conversion so far, noting that I had already bought a UPC kit, and also bought the wrong rotors, so my actualy cost are a fair bit higher :

Brembo CTS-V calipers - 600aud brand new
Pads Remsa - 55
Brake lines - ADR braided hose from Pirtek - $160
355x32 Falcon discs - $300
UPC conversion hub - $350
UPC Bracket - unkown
Milling 13.5mm off UPC Bracket - carton of tooheys($50)
Strengthening plate - $200. Beggers can't be choosers and I needed it done quickly so had to pay. If you had a drill press you could make this up yourself easily. This is not needed for fitment of the kit, but to strengthen the spindle face by sandwiching it in. In other words you don't have to use it at your own risk.
Bolts $20

So total cost for this kit is around $1700 not inc the caliper bracket from UPC. Not sure how much they would charge for it. If you made your own strengthen plate and milled the bracket down yourself, that would come to $1450 + the brackets.

That's for a big disc Brembo brake kit, with high quality lines and pads. Not a cheap basic wilwood kit that comes with 20mm discs(vs the 32's this has) that would cost you more. However that's bolt on kit, which I do understand is the appeal.

Also, I'm sure these will fit under certain 17" wheels. However, you would have to come to terms with the fact that you can't run anything under 17" and 18" depending on the wheel.
Last edited by Husky65 on Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Husky65 wrote:Yeah nice mate. What size rotors do they take?
30mm or so I think and I'm guessing around 300mm given they run 15" wheels on the TA & TCM cars. I'm hoping I can use the BA rotors.
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

Shaunp wrote:
30mm or so I think and I'm guessing around 300mm given they run 15" wheels on the TA & TCM cars. I'm hoping I can use the BA rotors.
Would you consider a brake package thread a good idea, with the various ways people are approaching this topic with their ideas and solutions (as one doesn't fit all) . Hybrid could maybe include it in the tech section..... thoughts..?
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Pinto-Pete wrote:
Shaunp wrote:
Would you consider a brake package thread a good idea, with the various ways people are approaching this topic with their ideas and solutions (as one doesn't fit all) . Hybrid could maybe include it in the tech section..... thoughts..?
Ooh stop it Pete...
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

nassi wrote:
Pinto-Pete wrote:
Shaunp wrote:
Ooh stop it Pete...
A brake pun, very good nassi...
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Yeah I reckon it would be good to collate some information regarding different kits out there. Could just make a sticky thread with the info in it.

Took the car for a drive after bedding them in. The brakes definitely instill more confidence if that's a thing. It's not like you touch them and the front locks up. It just feels very strong but progressive in how it pulls the car up. I'm sure a lot of that is the 57mm larger rotors, and not the calipers themselves.

Last edited by Husky65 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Now.....what to do next?
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

If you put your mind to it you'll think of something....
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

The support on this forum is unlike any other :rotfl2:
trav68
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by trav68 »

Good outcome, looks the business.

You would expect it to be confidence inspiring given you have performance brakes designed for an 1800 kg car with about 500kg less weight!

Master cylinder size still seems ok?

Like the idea but might have to wait till I have 18" rims.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

I'm just gonna leave this here.....

nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Husky65 wrote:I'm just gonna leave this here.....

Do more good in the trunk.