Husky's 65 Restomod

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Husky's 65 Restomod

Post by ozbilt »

nassi wrote:
ozbilt wrote:Oh yes, I forgot about those that have the need to compensate ....... :moon:
Booster problems???? Don't recall seeing one on an original disc braked 66.
The leverage came from the pedal, something which closer resembles a penis than a large rotor don't you think?
They raced them for years like that, still do. We must have turned into weaklings nowdays.

Probably too much time spent online (forums) rather than exercise ..... :coat:
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

ozbilt wrote:
nassi wrote:
ozbilt wrote:Oh yes, I forgot about those that have the need to compensate ....... :moon:
Booster problems???? Don't recall seeing one on an original disc braked 66.
The leverage came from the pedal, something which closer resembles a penis than a large rotor don't you think?
They raced them for years like that, still do. We must have turned into weaklings nowdays.

Probably too much time spent online (forums) rather than exercise ..... :coat:
Quite possibly.
Charbel
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Charbel »

interestingly i rarely get calls for 65-66 manual brake issues and when I do its usually someone thinking its odd not having a booster rather than there being an actual problem or calipers needing a reco.
C&M Engineering
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

May need a non boosted brake set up myself any ideas Charbel..?
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
Charbel
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Charbel »

Manual set ups are all about the pedal ratio and you have accept you are not going to have a firm "modern" feeling pedal. The 65-66 run a 6.5:1 ratio from memory which is pretty much on the money. That combined with a 1" (Factory) or if you dont mind a little travel 15/16" master results in decent line pressure for most calipers for the average person. Noting there can be a huge difference in pressures from dwarf to giants in the general population.

I set up a Capri a few months back with 15/16" master which was fine for my 5'10" slightly tubby frame, but the 6'3" unit that owns the car jumped in and mashed the pedal to the floor!

But the 65-66 Manual pedal set works pretty well. Some Kelsey Hayes calipers would go fine, if you wanted a little extra piston area the Baers work well. You cant afford to cheap out on pads and rotors though, the lack of friction will be more noticeable when you dont have ooddles of pressure to play with.
C&M Engineering
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Pretty quiet in here lately. Too many people spending money on chrissy presents instead of car parts I think.

Anyway update for mine is that it is most likely going to go in storage for 2-4 years. I say most likely because I have put a couple feelers out there to sell it, but I have somewhere to store it now for free so not too fussed either way. If it sells I'll just invest the money somewhere and build something a bit more wild later on.
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

Store it, far cheaper than replacing later on..
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

I went with an under-guard VH 40/44 booster from Hydroboost in Victoria. Not expensive and they made sure I got the right size booster first go to match my brakes. They do exchange and outright and powdercoat them if you are putting them under the guard. I'm running a 1" master cylinder with rear drums and 320 mm BF Turbo front rotors and BF dual spot calipers and I can lock the fronts in a panic stop without too much pedal pressure if I want to, it slows down quickly and controllably now rather than always hoping it would stop in time with the old disc brake setup.
Checkout my car builds - edzv8s.com
66 Convertible Bench Seat AODE 3.5 9"
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

It's a sad day gentlemen. Against everyones advice, the mustang is gone.

A bit of family time coming up, and then planning for the next build. I guess that's exciting in itself ;)
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

You have to do what is best for you at the time. All the best for the new year and beyond.
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

Safe travels
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

All the best for whatever comes Husky.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Husky65 wrote:It's a sad day gentlemen. Against everyones advice, the mustang is gone.

A bit of family time coming up, and then planning for the next build. I guess that's exciting in itself ;)
You do you mate.
Don't be a stranger!
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Hey fellas it's not my funeral, you can still spend my money :mrgreen:

When I say plan my next build I mean start my next build...just trying to figure out the best way to do it right now. Would like to get a body and spend the next 2-4 years paying someone to do the bodywork so by the time I get back the body is done and I can start on the fun stuff.

Cheers to everyone, I will still be here showing you pics of my new camry in dubai
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

I noticed 2 65-6 coups for sale together $10k. Not sure if it was gummy or not.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic