Information on importing your car or parts

Moderator: Moderators

shan75
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Importing modified vehicle.....

Post by shan75 »

Hi all,

As previously mentioned in another post, I was interested in importing a 67 Mustang that has had suspension and steering modifications.
I should mentioned - it has wilwood brakes as well, but was my intention to pull them (not ADR approved item apparently....won't pass muster).

The steering and suspension modifications have been fitted here to other cars and passed engineering, so I am not concerned about getting it on the road with the current mods.

Now I am more concerned of being able to get it here at all.

Will I get import approval for a vehicle with these types of changes? Or are they gonna knock it back?

Any experiences would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Importing modified vehicle.....

Post by Nuts »

https://infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/ ... cheme.aspx

Taken from the DIRD Site. This is what can bit you? "If parts of a vehicle with a date of manufacture before 1 January 1989 have been assembled into another vehicle, the date of manufacture is taken to be the date on which this new vehicle was first driven. If this conversion (into a different automotive product, such as a replica car, a drag racing car or a hot rod) happened after 1 January 1989, the vehicle does not qualify under this option".
These are the questions you will be asked:

Please advise if the car has had any modifications from the manufacturer's specification and if so please list the modifications. If there are no modifications, make a statement to that effect.

Please advise the body style of the car (e.g. 2-door convertible).
Please advise if the body of the car has been customised. If it is not customised, make a statement to that effect.

Please advise what engine is in the car (e.g. 289 cu in 4.7L Ford Windsor V8).
Please advise what transmission is in the car (e.g. 4-speed manual).

email them or ring them. All they can say is yes or no!
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

Speak to Shermatt, if they were able to import K-Otic they should be able to get this one through.

http://www.mustangtech.com.au/Forums/vi ... kotic.html

s
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

StephenSLR wrote:Speak to Shermatt, if they were able to import K-Otic they should be able to get this one through.

http://www.mustangtech.com.au/Forums/vi ... kotic.html

s
I will repeat here what was said on the phone. Call Canberra & ask about the mods. IMO it will NOT comply. If you try to fudge around the rules & get caught, they will not only fine you but also return the car to where it came from at your cost.

I also mentioned that the cost of the car + import costs & then all converted into A$, then it will probably incur luxury tax. Example from the Gov site ........

Luxury Car Tax payable on: A$84,700 (Total value) - $57,466 (Allowance) = $27,234. Luxury Car Tax is 33% of $27,234 = $8,987. So, your total charges are: $7,000 (Duty) + $7,700 (GST) + $8,987 (LCT) = $23,687.

All that on top of what it cost to purchase the car & fees to get it here.

Only go the legitimate way, all else leads to heartache.

Also remember they check the ads in places like Craigs List & Ebay. So when you put up the car they compare. I had them admit to me they had checked on a car I had bought & imported (it was correct as I had stated).
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

ozbilt wrote:Only go the legitimate way, all else leads to heartache.
Can't argue with that.

s
shan75
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by shan75 »

Hi Kerry,

I did hear you. Although had not heard back from Sean yet - so understandably was doing my own digging.

Yep - agreed - I would not be risking the pain by not calling out mods. Only time u do it - likely to get caught. Would get ugly.

Already contacted our friends in Canberra to confirm what would be acceptable. Provided all the details.

I'll let you know how that all goes.

I thought briefly about dodging up paperwork and avoiding luxury tax, but simply not worth it either.

Honesty is best policy.

I'll update when I know more.
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

shan75 wrote:I thought briefly about dodging up paperwork and avoiding luxury tax, but simply not worth it either.
They'd be cracking down on that more than the mods, as they say, you can't avoid death and taxes.

s
shan75
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by shan75 »

Too bloody true.

When they originally pitched it back in the Howard days, I thought GST was the tax that was supposed to replace all the other taxes/duties. One tax to replace them all! Pfffft.

"So GST replaces luxury car tax" Mr Govt: Ah...no...we are keeping that one.

"That would mean I pay duty - which is a tax - then I pay GST, then I also pay luxury tax - all on one purchase?" Mr Govt: Yes....genius idea of ours...I know. No need to thank me.

Google: Australians pay at least 125 different taxes each year,' your Treasury says on its website. '…there could be as many as 160 different state taxes and 259 taxes nationally.' Then, on top of that, there are local government rates.

Yep...
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

shan75 wrote:Too bloody true.

When they originally pitched it back in the Howard days, I thought GST was the tax that was supposed to replace all the other taxes/duties. One tax to replace them all! Pfffft.

"So GST replaces luxury car tax" Mr Govt: Ah...no...we are keeping that one.

"That would mean I pay duty - which is a tax - then I pay GST, then I also pay luxury tax - all on one purchase?" Mr Govt: Yes....genius idea of ours...I know. No need to thank me.

Google: Australians pay at least 125 different taxes each year,' your Treasury says on its website. '…there could be as many as 160 different state taxes and 259 taxes nationally.' Then, on top of that, there are local government rates.

Yep...
And it still the best country in the world to live in (I have lived in a few and frequently visited many) ........ :thumbs:
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
shan75
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by shan75 »

Yeah....I have the odd whinge, but I would not live anywhere else either.....
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

You need to understand firstly
1) GST was to be applied to everything. The Democrats in senate would not pass the GST unless a whole lot of exemptions were applied. Hence many of the other taxes needed to stay.
2) States did not want to loose all of their state based taxes so they kept them.

I agree the tax system needs a total overhaul and simplification using broad based taxing model. The needs to be far lower expenditure on behalf of the government and far lower taxes. Less dependence of cyclical exposed income sources.

Unfortunately the population has no stomach for change even if they (or the media) states that they do. Nothing will happen until a very serious collapse of the system occurs - most likely a dept triggered event and very deep recession with lots of lost employment. Once the population is hit with 20-30% unemployment then they will accept the changes. They will also ask why nothing was done previously to the event - forgetting they did not want to change in preparation. History tells us it is the normal cycle for a democratic political system.

BTW: I agree one of the best countries to live in today. See what it is like with a seriously deep 10-20 year recession.........
I will someday think of something clever to say.
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

I like the idea of 'user pays' tax. If you don't smoke, no need to pay the taxes on cigarettes. I do get bummed that some of our taxes go to smokers' hospital treatment, they should just up the cigarette tax and get them to pay for it, then those that can't afford to smoke aren't likely to take up the habit.

s
Last edited by StephenSLR on Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shan75
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by shan75 »

Yeah. I know. States get the GST revenue AND kept all the juicy taxes. That does bug me a little.

Still - we are one of the only countries on the planet not to experience a full-on recession in the last 20 or so years. Had it good for a while here - for which I am thankful.
That said - odds are we are probably due for one. ; ) Can't dodge that recession bullet forever.

However China (and other) overseas money does keep flowing in and bucking us off the recession horse. Will likely continue to do so as long as we just keep selling bits of our land and resources to overseas parties.

That is - of course - until there is nothing left to sell. Then we might have to learn how to manufacture stuff again....who knows.

Make hay while the sun shines people.... : )

Although none of this helps me get the car I want into this country. : (

I have to actually apply for the import approval before I can confirm if that they will let the car through. They would not advise me either way via email correspondence.

This was highlighted to me though (similar to what kerry posted):

"where there have been modifications done to the vehicle, the application gets given to our engineers to advise, they are looking at whether or not the modifications done to the vehicle may deem it as re –manufactured and depending on when the modifications were completed, no longer a pre-89 vehicles"

So yeah....I think I might let it go....look for something that will be less work to get in. Shame.
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

I'm guessing there's nothing stopping you including new TCP parts in your container to be fitted to an unmodified car once it's landed here.
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

Yeah, I am grateful my parents came here. I was just talking to a UK ex-pat that has travelled and worked in many countries, she just got back from the UK and said Aus. is the only country where you can afford to travel with a part-time job.

Having said that, I've been unemployed for over 2 years after the mining boon collapsed, hence why I recently took on this part time work as a driver delivering props.

s
Last edited by StephenSLR on Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.