The Duggo ranch Fergy fixup ........

Non-Mustang related Projects

Moderator: Moderators

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Duggo ranch Fergy fixup ........

Post by ozbilt »

Got the Massey Ferguson running again. Needed the tractor as I am rebuilding all the fences (around 700 meters of them). All was fine until the rad sprung a leak. Took the rad off & removed the bottom tank, rodded the core & then discovered that a new radiator was only AU$250 online. Joy was that the warehouse was close by (40 mins drive) so picked it up with some other bits that afternoon ...... :cheer:

Went to bolt the new rad in & discovered the front axle shaft is worn out. Bloody hell, "how can something that is not lubricated NOT last 68 years" I ask you ...... :impatient:

So off down the road to my machinist neighbour & he made me a new one ......

Looks a little better than the old one ......

Also had to weld up where that shaft fitted & then die grind the hole back to spec ......

All good ...... :D

Center part of the front axle was not worn, go figure ..... :loopy:

They have some decent bolts holding the axles together, 5/8" diameter UNF bolts .......

Nearly there .....

All done ...... :cheer:

Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Duggo ranch Fergy fixup ........

Post by ozbilt »

BTW, I am looking for an OLD bonnet that has the patina of the tractor ...... :lol:

I have no intention of "restoring" it & want something that looks just as old, but will work (with some fixing up). The plan is to historic register it so I can take it to local events (like Cars N Coffee) ...... :rotfl:

It is a 1947 Massey Ferguson TEA20 so a real early model. Of course, being cheap, I do not want to pay much ....... :$
Kerry

Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Can you run that one of Kero Kerry? I remember as a kid going to my great grandparents orchid at Stanthorpe. They had similar one, they use to start it on petrol then run it on Kero once she warmed up some.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

New build thread excellent.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Shaunp wrote:Can you run that one of Kero Kerry? I remember as a kid going to my great grandparents orchid at Stanthorpe. They had similar one, they use to start it on petrol then run it on Kero once she warmed up some.
I guess so with the conversion. Quite a few tractors were done, I had a mate who ran his FJ that way.
Kerry

scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

You just need to add some rust to that radiator and it will be a great restore. :grinning:
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Shaunp wrote:Can you run that one of Kero Kerry? I remember as a kid going to my great grandparents orchid at Stanthorpe. They had similar one, they use to start it on petrol then run it on Kero once she warmed up some.
They were petrol only until 1949, then went to petrol/paraffin or kero.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

ozbilt wrote:BTW, I am looking for an OLD bonnet that has the patina of the tractor ...... :lol:

I have no intention of "restoring" it & want something that looks just as old, but will work (with some fixing up). The plan is to historic register it so I can take it to local events (like Cars N Coffee) ...... :rotfl:

It is a 1947 Massey Ferguson TEA20 so a real early model. Of course, being cheap, I do not want to pay much ....... :$
I thought they did not become Massey Ferguson until late 1957?
So I think you have a Fergusson TEA20, if it makes any difference to the search.
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

That front axle looks like my knees feel. Now you have taken care of the rear and front of the ting that only leaves...
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

Imagine how many fence post you could have done in the time it took you to fix the tractor though. :snigger:
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

nassi wrote:
ozbilt wrote:BTW, I am looking for an OLD bonnet that has the patina of the tractor ...... :lol:

I thought they did not become Massey Ferguson until late 1957?
So I think you have a Fergusson TEA20, if it makes any difference to the search.
Correct as usual, it actually is a Harry Ferguson LTD TEA tractor, just most know it as the M/F TEA 20 ...... :smile:

In the USA they were Massey Ford's but Ford soon got out of that arrangement when they could use the 3 point linkage. Built by the Standard Motor Company in Coventry England (they also built Vanguards, used the same engine). Must have built a few as mine is 38317 built in that factory & 5307 into Australia ....... :thumbs:
Kerry

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

xpconnor wrote:Imagine how many fence post you could have done in the time it took you to fix the tractor though. :snigger:
Yep, but more fun on the 'Fergie ....... :D
Kerry

nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Yes they built a few alright, The Coventry factory alone was responsible for more than 500,000.
The little buggars are everywhere, Sir Edmund Hillary even took 7 of them to Antarctica.
Very practical utility vehicle, I put it up there with the DC 3 and the UH1H choppers.
MustangMedic
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by MustangMedic »

Kerry,
I see lots of these old tractors here in Maryborough and surrounds on Gumtree, they appear to be a popular restoration project. If I see a bonnet, I will send you the link.
Cheers, Ash
Cheers.
Medic
(Always work smarter not harder!!!)
67 C Code coupe
69candy
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 69candy »

I think you had the perfect opportunity to hot rod it, and turn the front crossmember up the other way and given it some attitude!! Dissapointed. Could have saved a heap on fuel then by driving downhill all day!!