Project Brandy

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Project Brandy

Post by cage »

I have been meaning to put up a post for some time as I have started on the new HDX Dakota Digital cluster. This is for RHD which they said wouldn’t work, well I call bullshit to that.

Let me just say their product is beautiful so far. Will post up soon.
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Ok so I have been doing a few mods lately and have now got the car back on the road. I have gone for a few drives and I am in love with my car again. All three mods are awesome.

Mod 1:
3.90’s in the rear. This also goes in combination with Mod 2. I can’t believe the difference this makes. Admittedly I did start with 2.50’s so the difference is obvious however the car just has so much get up and go through all three gears. It is just a pleasure to have all the power you need straight away. The 2.50’s was like driving a limo as Boof told me once.

Mod 2:
So due to mod 1, I needed a 4th gear atleast as with the C4 I was sitting over 3000rpm at 90k’s with the 3.90’s. As previously posted with the help of Hybrid we installed the Gear Vendors. After driving this now for a while and getting the hang of it I cannot talk highly enough about it. It is like having two gear boxes in my car.

In traffic or streets up to 70k’s I leave the GV off and just let the C4 and 3.90’s do their thing, heaps of punch. Once I know that I will be cruising in streets 80k’s and above I turn the GV on and put it in auto mode. You can do this at anytime or even at the set of lights, doesn’t matter. Car changes to fourth (or third over) automatically around 70k’s, change is smooth as silk and you are cruising at 80k’s at around just under 2000rpm even with the 3.90’s.

Now this is where it gets interesting. As I start to slow down it stays in GV auto and changes back to second over not second automatically. In other words it changes through the GV gear ratios. If I then turn off the GV it drops back to second gear in the C4. Very cool and gives you heaps of options both down the gears and up the gears and that is still in GV auto mode.

Secondly while in GV auto mode cruising in fourth and you want to overtake if you hit the fast pedal enough it kicks back to second over which keeps you in the sweet rev range as opposed to the C4 second gear revving to high. Once in second over you can then turn the GV off and it goes into normal C4 third. Then back on again for fourth and keep cruising. If you don’t want to turn the GV on and off again then you don’t need to really. It kicks back into second over and then once of the pedal it goes back to third over. Very very cool.

Lastly you can do all of the above manually if you like with the O/D switch when ever you want and it changes to the overdrive of whatever gear you are in and back again if you like.

Mod 3:
The new Dakota Digital Dash. I am in love with this thing. Super good looking and extremely functional and again with Hydrids help not that hard to wire up really. It allows an electronic speedo and also a gear shifting sender for the dash. So many functions and options but think similar to a modern car dash with all the screens but looks like a mustang dash. It also has warning functions for things such as fuel, oil and temp, it can even have an audible function for these also if you like. 18 different dash colour changes as standard but with the app you can basically have all sorts of custom combinations.

Anyway I will start to do a write up on the dash.
Last edited by cage on Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Nice write up Cage. better than any of Jacko's scratching's!!
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Well it has been 9 months since I have been on the forum, been very busy with work and life and stuff and haven’t spent a lot of time with the mustang.

So I decided it was time to have another crack at finishing it off for good. Made a list

- Proper tyres
- Get the diff looked at as the 3.90’s are a bit too noisy for my liking and with the GV I just think it needs to be looked at
- get an x pipe put in the exhaust as well as putting the tips on that have been in my garage for about 5 years
- fixed the rubbish ignition as it is like a lucky dip if my car wants to start or not.
- and finish off the interior once and for all with a centre console blah blah blah.

Anyway I actually got off my arse and organised all of it. I really did, made phone calls and everything. But before I took,the car to all the necessary places I needed to make sure it started properly every time so let’s fix that dodgy ignition issue first.

New switch and she started great but then it all went to sh!t. No power to fuel pump, poping fuses, no spark etc etc. spent most of the day on the phone to hybrid trying to figure out what is going on, tried a new coil and all sorts of tests and now the dizzy is shot.

So had to call everyone and put it all off, and now to fix the dizzy will cost me over $400 which is getting close to a brand new one.

Then Jeff had a great idea, instead of buying another dizzy and wasting your money go EFi now. And I said, OK, sounds like a good idea, so that’s what we are doing. I am more than likely going the Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 EFi system and will do an install on it for you guys here.

Now to move my car I need to borrow, buy, steal a new dizzy for a short period of time. Does anyone have any ideas? The current dizzy is a MSD ready to run Billet Pro.

Cheers guys and good to be back.
Last edited by cage on Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

To save us looking back, what engine are you running mate?
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

nassi wrote:To save us looking back, what engine are you running mate?
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Hi Nassi, yep Shaunp has it, 347.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

I will look in the shed tonight.
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

I like the write up on the GV. :like:
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

nassi wrote:I will look in the shed tonight.
Sorry, all gone at the last swap meet.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

All good.. we bought a cheap procomp one. Hopefully it lasts long enough to make it to my place to start the EFI install.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

hybrid wrote:All good.. we bought a cheap procomp one. Hopefully it lasts long enough to make it to my place to start the EFI install.
I have one of those in the Bronco, seems to be doing very well. (touch wood).
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Well all the ignition problems seemed to be down to some very old wiring in the back of the ignition switch. There may have been a bit more too it but the bulk of the issues certainly came from that. A new switch and with the wiring fixed I put the MSD back in and she sparked to life. Quick timing and it was running enough to get it over to Hybrids.

Note: it did break down on the way to Hybrids in the middle of Bankstown (this is not a good place to break down) due to the alternator not charging and loosing voltage. Again a wiring issue that was fixed in 5 minutes and finally 40min later the car was in Hybrids garage ready for EFI action.
Last edited by cage on Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Due to the above wiring issue and the fact I have been having long winded problems with my ignition system coupled with the fact I am just over a carby, as I only get to drive the car a couple of times a month, it is time to join the modern world and go EFI

Decided to run with the latest Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 multi port system. It comes with a traditional 4150-Style satin finish single plane intake manifold and 35 Lb/Hr injectors capable of 550 HP with 58 p.s.i. fuel pressure. Every thing is pretty much plug and play and labeled well and comes with a water proof ECU that is pretty compact, which is cool if you wanted to mount it in the engine bay.

It comes with an Android 7” tablet from Acer in the kit with the E-Tuner 4 app. Main features of the advanced tuner gives you control over air-fuel ratios, ignition curve, idle speed, acceleration fuel, coolant fans and rev limiter and also has dyno developed base calibrations. The E-Tuner 4 app uses a Bluetooth wireless connection to communicate with the ECU's self-learning capability to continually adjust the calibration. Multiple dash displays are included to allow you to monitor engine vitals.

Overall a nice looking, high quality and pretty compete kit for multi port injection while keeping the old school style look.

Last edited by cage on Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.