Project Brandy

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Project Brandy

Post by cage »

I am planning to put a false floor in the boot and block off the trap door as well as I will never use it. All the fittings are below the height of the side sections of the boot so all good.
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Ok so the EFI is complete and I am very happy. Below is a bit of a write up for those that are interested.

To start with we did the obvious things such as take out the distributor, manifold and carby, drained the fuel lines and took out the gas tank (as we are putting in the new Tanks Inc one) and other various things such as label the leads for firing order (my car is running the 351 firing order) and stuff like that.

Also had to pick up a heap of hose fittings, caps etc, some braided hose for the engine bay part of the return line as well as some hard line for under the car. Those hose fittings are not cheap when you add it all up. Also needed a new fuel pressure gauge.

Anyway our with the old and in with the new.

Last edited by cage on Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Next we cleaned up all the old gaskets, gave it a nice clean , new gaskets installed, RTV’d everything up and sat the new manifold in place.

We then had to reinstall the throttle bracket, run some of the basic wiring for air, temp, fuel injectors etc, cut out some of the old wiring such as for the choke and see how she looked. So far so good.

Next was to sort our where the return fuel line was going to run and hook up, where the vacuum hoses were going to run as the pick up points were a bit different. We had to redo the C4 kick down as the old one wouldn’t work anymore due to different positioning, figure out where to install the fuel regulator so you could see the gauge, install the O2 sensor in the exhaust and lastly figure out the ECU wiring harness.

The new Pro-flo 4 ECU is weatherproof and therefore can be installed in the engine bay. Due to my engine bay being void of all wiring this wasn’t going to work so we had to work out how to get the necessary wires from inside the car where the ECU was going to mount into the engine bay. This included two large connectors and the O2 sensor plug. As I already had some wiring coming from inside the car to the engine bay via the floor on the tunnel then we could just do the same thing. However the connectors are huge and needed a much bigger hole. Anyway with a bit of careful cutting I got this done.

With the engine bay effectively taken care of we installed the new distributor, and moved on to the new return fuel line, fuel pressure regulator, O2 sensor and new tank.
Last edited by cage on Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

cage wrote:
The new Pro-flo 4 ECU is weatherproof and can be installed in the engine bay. Due to my engine bay be void of all wiring this wasn’t going to work so we had to work out how to get the necessary wires from inside the car to the engine bay. This included to large connectors and the O2 sensor plug. As I already had some wiring coming inside the car from the floor on top of the C4 and up into the engine bay then we could just do the same thing. However the connectors are huge and needed a much bigger hole. Anyway with a bit of careful cutting I got this done.
I think I'm going to use a bulkhead fitting on my wiring to make it easier if I ever need to pull the motor etc.

cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Yep Dwayne, we looked at that option. If it was a quick and easy option we would have done it but you would have to pick every wire from the two connectors and then re install then in the bulkhead connector. From memory there was 29 wires in one connector and 18 in another so it was high 40’s.

You can still pull the motor as all you have to do is seperate the two male/female connectors and one side goes with the motor and the other stays behind.

It is a nice option though if you have the time. I wish Edelbrock had two wiring harness options which included a bulkhead connector for installing the ECU in the car.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Dwayne wrote:
cage wrote:
The new Pro-flo 4 ECU is weatherproof and can be installed in the engine bay. Due to my engine bay be void of all wiring this wasn’t going to work so we had to work out how to get the necessary wires from inside the car to the engine bay. This included to large connectors and the O2 sensor plug. As I already had some wiring coming inside the car from the floor on top of the C4 and up into the engine bay then we could just do the same thing. However the connectors are huge and needed a much bigger hole. Anyway with a bit of careful cutting I got this done.
I think I'm going to use a bulkhead fitting on my wiring to make it easier if I ever need to pull the motor etc.

Easy on the mega with the wiring harness it comes with and nothing terminated, but the edelbrock is all pre-terminated stuff that you just plug in.
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Next was the new tank. Very nice piece of kit. The metal was very soft but so was the original one once we checked. You have to do some slight modification to the fuel sender as it is obviously a sender that fits multiple depth tanks. Hybrid took care of this but it is pretty easy and the instructions are very detailed so didn’t take long. Here is the finished product to the tank depth specifications.

New tank now in with the sender installed. Next is the fuel pump which is a nice small unit. Again there is some slight modifications needed but no big deal, just follow the small amount of steps and it is easy.

New lines needed to be made. A first for me and to be honest Hybrid made them all, but I was there watching and learning. This is a time consuming job but well worth it once done.

And here is the final product. We ended up utilising existing holes through to under the car that were there from my mounting bracket of the old external fuel pump. The new hard line then runs under the car next to the existing fuel line and up to the top of the gear box then a further soft line to the fuel regulator as shown below.

Last edited by cage on Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

Surfs Up

cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

That’s the concourse part of the car.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

As much as I have worked on this car, I never noticed that.
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

Are you using the royal "we" cage...?
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Haha, I put in Pete but don’t have the skill and experience as hybrid. So yes.
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

nice job fellas.
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

Well, ya'll done good.. :like:
Last edited by Pinto-Pete on Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
krisr
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by krisr »