New website - Known Issues

Need help with something on the website, forums etc? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

New website - Known Issues

Post by hybrid »

I will add known issues here as I know them.

1) Timezones do not come across with the upgrade.
Those of you who were set to Sydney time should be OK.
Those of you from other timezones, will need to reset your timezone in your user preferences here:
http://www.mustangtech.com.au/Your_Acco ... prefs.html

[s]2) The TechShop is temporarily missing. That will be fixed soon.
Edit: it's back and renamed to TechZone, but there is still an issue with the pages displaying.[/s] - Fixed

[s]3) BBCode issues.
Some forum posts are looking strange. Particularly ones using the share links from photobucket for example.[/s] - Fixed

4) Cloaking - forgot about this one. Cloaking is broken, so if you had someone cloaked, sorry but you're going to have to put up with them until it gets sorted.

5) Searching for a username in Private Messages doesn't work yet. Your best bet is to click on the PM button from one of their posts, or know what the username is before you go into Private Messages.

[s]6) Issue with the moderators link (see Boofs post below) http://www.mustangtech.com.au/Forums/vi ... tml#111783[/s] Fixed

[s]7) Delete button within PM's doesn't work. Delete via the list view instead. http://www.mustangtech.com.au/Forums/vi ... tml#111783[/s]

8) Calendar is back, but it was designed for the old version of the website, so:
- The CSS (look and feel) is a bit screwed up
- The "Coming Events" block is not registering any events yet.

[s] 9) The login module has an issue with LEO, so LEO has been disabled for now. [/s] - Fixed

10) I've had some phantom posts come back showing unread, even though I have read them. In fact, some are ones I have posted in last.
I think these topics become "unread" after I go into Private Messages and back out. Needs confirmation.

If you are unable to log in to the new website, please clear the cookies for mustangtech.com.au and try again.
Last edited by hybrid on Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:09 pm, edited 15 times in total.
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: New website - Known Issues

Post by StephenSLR »

I'm using Firefox and the site doesn't appear 100% on the browser page.

There is a slider bar across the bottom and horizontally there's about 98% of the page; not a big deal but annoying; it feels like I'm missing some text or image but when I slide the bar across, I'm not really missing out on any info.

s
Last edited by StephenSLR on Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

I find the crazy mix of fonts and font sizes rather anoying to my sense of GUI balance. Keep in mind I sign off on this (and many other things) as a job so if this was a project I was managing then it would get some changes to balance it out.

I have also noticed the left side title minimise the information box though no function allows it to maximise. Fortunately a reload makes them reappear. The boxed icon above also does not appear to do any thing.

If you need a hand on some CSS changes then I am happy to help. Thanks for your hard work on keeping this site running. It is appreciated.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

What crazy mix of fonts and sizes? Give me an example?
I think I will reduce the size of the title of each thread. That shouldn't be any bigger than the breadcrumbs above it.

I know the boxed "-" icon at the top of the blocks do not work. I put them there to test the layout, but I don't know what the core has in the backend to allow me to actually do anything with them yet.
boofhead wrote: I have also noticed the left side title minimise the information box though no function allows it to maximise. Fortunately a reload makes them reappear. The boxed icon above also does not appear to do any thing.
What do you mean by this? You can click on the header for any block on either side of the website to open and close the content.
Is that what you're talking about?
If so, opening and closing works fine for me.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

The quoting above did not work above but I will answer what I think you are asking.
EDIT - Sorry just realised you need to click it to see the content of the quote. Default show it? Maybe.

If I click on the "Main Menu" title block then it will minimise that block. Which is expected I guess. If I then click on it again nothing happens - no way to get the main menu items back.

As far as the rest I will try to explain. Note: This is no issue just my sense of balance of the page styling. Subjective I agree.

1) Section to the right of "Main Menu" is a different font size so it does not align correctly. This same font and size should be used for the "Q&A->WebSite Help-> etc" as "Main Menu"
2) Above that level - forum Index -> Web Site Help should be same font and size as the elements of the Main Menu content. Same applies to the Icon bar above it eg FAQ Search Forum where the Font also does not align with the Icon images correctly (size change may fix that).
3) Topic Title bar font is to large should be the same as the content titles "Author", "Message"
4) The general font use for the content is to large and should be a point or two smaller.
5) Title "Tech Shop" I would change the title slightly - nothing is for sale while it is a set of tech articles.

There are other changes I would do.

In my case, I have forced refreshed the Cache so I should be seeing the latest CSS styling - while the issue might be related to IE (I am using ie11) I just wanted to comment.

I am happy to live with it if you feel all is acceptable just trying to help - I am not complaining.
Last edited by boofhead on Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

I just received an email notification of a reply to this topic.

The link in the email was just a text line; not a hyperlink.

s
Last edited by StephenSLR on Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Thanks, I'll check that out.
Astro
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by Astro »

Nerd fight :snigger:

Cheers

J
I love big birds - I cannot lie...
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

boofhead wrote:The quoting above did not work above but I will answer what I think you are asking.
EDIT - Sorry just realised you need to click it to see the content of the quote. Default show it? Maybe.
Nope.. I love the fact that the quotes are hidden now. It's much cleaner and can be opened to check if required.
boofhead wrote: If I click on the "Main Menu" title block then it will minimise that block. Which is expected I guess. If I then click on it again nothing happens - no way to get the main menu items back.
I thought that is what you meant. It works fine for me. Probably the fact that you're using the worlds worst browser. I'll try and find out why IE doesn't like it.
boofhead wrote: 1) Section to the right of "Main Menu" is a different font size so it does not align correctly. This same font and size should be used for the "Q&A->WebSite Help-> etc" as "Main Menu"
2) Above that level - forum Index -> Web Site Help should be same font and size as the elements of the Main Menu content. Same applies to the Icon bar above it eg FAQ Search Forum where the Font also does not align with the Icon images correctly (size change may fix that).
3) Topic Title bar font is to large should be the same as the content titles "Author", "Message"
4) The general font use for the content is to large and should be a point or two smaller.
5) Title "Tech Shop" I would change the title slightly - nothing is for sale while it is a set of tech articles.

There are other changes I would do.

1+2) It's not necessarily meant to align properly. I don't agree that all of those should be the same sizes, as they represent different things. I'm having trouble trying to log in using IE - need to find out why. F I hate that browser.
The icons can be v-aligned center insted of top. I agree that would look better, and will scale with size changes better - I will change that in due course.
3) I have already made that smaller than it was. I will reserve judegemt on this one once I can check it out in IE. I'm not sure I agree that it should be the same size as items below it. The whole point is that it's a title rather than column headings like the others.
4) Again I'm not sure I agree. This is dependent on your resolution I guess. I bet the older folks amongst us like bigger fonts. What I could do though is add a button somewhere that can change the font size of the entire page up or down. Again I will reserve until I can see it in IE.
5) That's been like that since it was introduced on the old site. Maybe I'll change it to Tech Zone.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Ok - all good. Now maybe an IE thing again but it never appears to remember my login . I use to leave it logged in permanently (my machine is on permanently 24/7) and every day just hit new posts and I am reading away. Yes I have clicked the remember password checkbox when I re-login.

I clicked a few links just to see and had link crash errors - so you want the details or just leave it.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I've had a crappy issue with logins not working for most of the afternoon - might be related to your issues.
I can confirm the issue you are having with main menu in IE. The developers don't use the main menu on their website - they rely on the top menu. We have that option, but my guess is they are not aware of the issue, so I will report it anyway.

Yep, give me those errors you were getting, just in case they aren't related to the earlier issues.

The worst part about the login issues is that I don't know what fixed it. I hate that... nothing to report to the devs.
Last edited by hybrid on Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

RSI injuries related to continually scrolling to the top of the page could be avoided by reinstating the button that does it for you,... just sayin... :poke:
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Here is a screenshot from my IE.
Obviously the resolution is not the same as my desktop, but it gives you an idea of the relationship between font sizes.

I don't think the font is too big for the core text. The side menu text is smaller so it doesn't take up as much room.
I'm happy to listen to the majority though, so if lots of you think the text is too big, I'll shrink it.

Last edited by hybrid on Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

1) If you are looking at a private message the delete option does not work. You can delete if you use the list and use the checkbox then summit while selecting delete mode.

2) Click on the moderators link (next the the Cloak users posts) and then click on any moderator link shown. It crashes often though sometimes you get a message of missing page for link.

I will report others if I find any thing.
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

HI Jeff
thanks for all your work on this. Can we nuke the menu on the left of the screen? Selecting minimize does not do anything.
Testing the edit: what the hell is this :no_good:

PLUS can you animate Pet's avatar to really get those 'orbs of lust' going?
Cheers
jacko
Last edited by Ausjacko on Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'