RAC/MC Motorsport (Full Track) 18th July 1530 - 1800

Discussion of upcoming events in the Events Calendar

Moderator: Moderators

trav68
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: RAC/MC Motorsport (Full Track) 18th July 1530 - 1800

Post by trav68 »

Nassi...you must be referring to the wonder (OEM) discs. Get this I have never touched the discs - never changed them, never had them skimmed and just measured them at 27.4mm (new 28.0mm replace 25.0mm). After so many track days/autocross/sprint sessions I have lost track they have never warped, or misbehaved, and the car has come in with the brakes smoking hot and even seen the backs {pads I presume) glowing hot. Although I am fairly diligent in doing a cool down lap after any hard work.

From memory the QFM HPX pads got me about 20 - 30k street use plus all the motorsport sessions which I am happy with considering their price. I also spend a bit on brake fluid and change that very frequently to guarantee a reasonable pedal feel once some heat is in the system.

Regards,
Trav
Stallion67
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Stallion67 »

I think us ford people get used to crappy falcon discs. good pedal feel but warp when you look at them funny. Commodores have always had superior discs in terms of durability, even if they don't have the same "feel".
Cheers, Tony.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Stallion67 wrote: Commodores have always had superior discs in terms of durability, even if they don't have the same "feel".
Can't agree there... the VN we owned was terrible.
Stallion67
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Stallion67 »

I'm referring more to the EL-AU and VT-VY era. Every AU i've ever driven has ended up with warped discs. Might have something to do with my driving style.
Cheers, Tony.
smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

Stallion67 wrote:I'm referring more to the EL-AU and VT-VY era. Every AU i've ever driven has ended up with warped discs. Might have something to do with my driving style.
nope, it's Fords issue. I have a BF and always have a spare set of rotors on the shelf. Every 30-40,000 I change them over. Although the Repco ones have lasted about 60,000 so far, albeit with a very slight wobble that I try to ignore and pretend it is not happening.
That and handbrakes, worst thing about my trusty ute
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Stallion67 wrote:I'm referring more to the EL-AU and VT-VY era. Every AU i've ever driven has ended up with warped discs. Might have something to do with my driving style.
We must have the same style. :D
In the AU XR8, 5 hard laps at Collie would see my rotors very warped, regardless of a cool down lap.
Similarly if there was a puddle at the bottom Mills road (Roleystone), it could end up in warped rotors. They are very ordinary. Touch wood though, I have had a good run out of this last set in the ute. once again an AU XR8.
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

I agree, I used to always have to get my BA/BF/FG Falcons disk machined regularly. I found them to be good brakes in stopping power but slight machining used to work for me every 15000 or so.
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
MaxPower
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by MaxPower »

nassi wrote:
In the AU XR8, 5 hard laps at Collie would see my rotors very warped, regardless of a cool down lap.
Similarly if there was a puddle at the bottom Mills road (Roleystone), it could end up in warped rotors. They are very ordinary. Touch wood though, I have had a good run out of this last set in the ute. once again an AU XR8.
Do these have to stay stock or can you change them? Throw some BA/BF ones on them if you can change. All you need is the upright, caliper, rotor and brake line if you have an AU2/3. If you an have an AU1 you need all that plus lower control arms, sway bar and sway bar mounts too.
"There's 3 ways to do things. The right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way."

"Isn't that the wrong way?"

"Yeah, but faster!"
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

MaxPower wrote:
nassi wrote:
Do these have to stay stock or can you change them? Throw some BA/BF ones on them if you can change. All you need is the upright, caliper, rotor and brake line if you have an AU2/3. If you an have an AU1 you need all that plus lower control arms, sway bar and sway bar mounts too.
I don't do any more track work and moved away from the hill so all is good these days. :D
Not sure the BA ones are a lot better though, the boss ran a BA XR8 in Targa a few years back and the rotors were completely stuffed in no time at all. Guess what the first job was that night. :lol:
MaxPower
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by MaxPower »

You get more options with them which is the benefit over the AU stuff. The stock BA/BF ones are 298mm so bigger than AU. Then you can the get the larger 322mm premium brakes that the XR6T and XR8 got. Then better again with the FPV Brembo gear.

Braided lines are another good upgrade.
"There's 3 ways to do things. The right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way."

"Isn't that the wrong way?"

"Yeah, but faster!"
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

I gotcha, he was running the larger premium but still suffered. Anyway it was back to the good old 64 Sprint next year.
Stallion67
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Stallion67 »

Falcon brakes are notorious. Usually undersized for the weight of the car too.
Cheers, Tony.