Project 'Patience' the 64.5 Fastback

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Borgche
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Project 'Patience' the 64.5 Fastback

Post by Borgche »

By popular demand, I had a whole two requests, here is the first instalment of my build thread. Due to a new family it’s by no means going to be a quick build hence the project name of ‘Patience’.

Heading into a new family I wanted to buy a project car while the dollar was still US$1.07 well before the wife to be had veto rights.

Here she is when she arrived in Sydney front panels loosely bolted on, front Eleanor apron hanging sadly on, 6 point roll cage. No engine but the engine bay and the car itself stuffed full of valuable fastback parts and go fast goodies. It didn’t look like much but it was a ’65 A code fastback, yes it had its issues, but it was mine and I felt like a rock star at the transport depot.

I found the car on fleaBay sitting in a garage, not a barn, in SanDiego. The ad seemed a little too good to be true, a lot high dollar drag parts came with the car. The auction didn’t sell, I contacted the owner, who sounded legit and stoked his little stang could be heading off for an all expenses paid trip halfway around the globe. He supplied all the info and photos I asked for, I satisfied myself the car wasn’t a rust bucket made an offer which to my surprise was immediately accepted.

It was a San Jose build A code, built in October ’64 with a clean title, original door tag and California black and gold lic plate still attached. It is a very early build fastback with 64.5 parts installed such as the wiper mounts. From my research the factory kept using the previous model components to build cars till they ran out. It came from the factory with the new 6 bolt A code 4 barrel 289, C4 auto, white duco and a standard red interior. A colour combo I rather like though now painted in silver.

It had most recently been the subject of a father and son projecft. It found itself onto the road, then the drag strip with some success (low 9s on street rubber I was told) with a nitro fed 331 and then lost its way. The motor was pulled big dollars spent on running gear, engine bay butchered for a twin turbo alloy block monster that never made its way back into the car and then sat around gathering dust. The original block was long gone detonated in one its early runs. But the car was bought by the owner as a complete car and would at least come with the hard to get fastback interior parts.

A Qld based importer played broker for me as nothing is simple in the states. Mike travelled from LA to San Diego confirmed the car existed and then took the owner to the bank and arranged the first of many tows for the car back to his yard near LA. Then import approval for my absolutely stock little stang and it was on its way to Oz. The father of the owner even made several trips to LA, it’s a at least a two hour trip one way, to drop off parts he found in his garage.

A lot of sleepless nights then followed concerning what condition the car was really in. You see a lot of sad pitiful cars arrive in Australia, not all of them are rust free desert cars like Ronin187’s coupe.

The car was then on a very circuitous trip to me in Sydney. San Diego Ca. to LA, loaded into container, LA to Brisbane (yes Brisbane, found out my importer takes all non starters to Brisbane) unloaded in Port Brisbane, Port Brisbane to Ormeau, Ormeau back to Brisbane road freight yard, Brisbane to Seven Hills, Seven Hills to me.

Next - the in the flesh professional inspection revealed……
Last edited by Borgche on Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Fastback A code

I am Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.
Borgche
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Re: Project 'Patience' the 64.5 Fastback

Post by Borgche »

Bugger Had trouble getting the photo to attach reduced to to 57KB and got this
'Sorry, but the maximum filesize for all Attachments is reached. Please contact the Board Administrator if you have questions.'
1965 Fastback A code

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Borgche wrote:Bugger Had trouble getting the photo to attach reduced to to 57KB and got this
'Sorry, but the maximum filesize for all Attachments is reached. Please contact the Board Administrator if you have questions.'
Borgche wrote:Sweeet.....bro

PS how the #### do you load photos?
http://www.mustangtech.com.au/Forums/vi ... art=0.html

Answers are in this section ....... :lol:
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

Put all you pics in a photobucket album. Then they are easy to attach.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

We have limited server space, so I have to be careful with how much is allowed to be attached here. As has been suggested, use photobucket and link them here.

I might have to check that link again Kerry - photobucket has changed it's interface lately, but the basics should still be the same.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Glad you started the project - first post is interesting and informative so keep up the posting. More than you will expect is watching (and will post even if just to take the conversation in some odd direction).
I will someday think of something clever to say.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Ok.. I updated the tuturial a bit to fit the new look of photobucket.
It's not perfect, but should be good enough.
Borgche
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Borgche »

Hi guys. Thanks for the warm welcome and advice. I'll upload more photos and next thread when free later tonight.
1965 Fastback A code

boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

This is the best forum. Glad you feel welcome here.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Sounds like a good story! Thanks for sharing.
gner8r
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by gner8r »

Let the fun begin
1965 Mustang Coupe with a 5.0L EFI V8
Ronin187
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Ronin187 »

more pics more pics!!
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

Just for your information, your front apron is actually a GT 350 R copy nothing to do with cartoon/fantasy cars and be careful not to say the E word out loud lest Zorro hears.... :poke: (he's old and cranky,.. a bit like a bear with a sore head)
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Pinto-Pete wrote:Just for your information, your front apron is actually a GT 350 R copy nothing to do with cartoon/fantasy cars and be careful not to say the E word out loud lest Zorro hears.... :poke:
Too late .... :impatient:
Borgche wrote: Here she is when she arrived in Sydney front panels loosely bolted on, front Eleanor apron hanging sadly on, 6 point roll cage. No engine but the engine bay and the car itself stuffed full of valuable fastback parts and go fast goodies.
As for the
Pinto-Pete wrote:(he's old and cranky,.. a bit like a bear with a sore head)

I will add you to my list ....... :poke:
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Borgche
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Borgche »

Thanks I stand corrected that GT350R fibreglass apron - is now discarded and sold on Gumtree.

Once parts were removed from car, it revealed a solid floor a couple of small patches but no evident rust. Gutters have been shaved, rear quarter replaced and possibly door skins but generally not too bad. Very thick paint complete with chips at most corners. Though good enough for a while. It had had minor rust at some time but repairs seem to be OK.

The previous owner also seemed to be very handy with a hole saw and grinder.

This is view through holy radiator support to a holy firewall

odd place to find a radiator

another hole

that firewall
1965 Fastback A code