Ronin187 - pics as promised

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: Ronin187 - pics as promised

Post by Dwayne »

Ronin187 wrote:Also want to sus out a reverse camera that displays on the rear view mirror - two birds to kill here, till make parking easier if mrs Ronin drives and ill get some insulation installed when routing wiring.
I think Husky fitted a rear view camera to his car recently.
Ronin187
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Ronin187 »

Found some wireless numbers from Kogan, they look interesting?
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

With wireless though, all the wiring is exactly the same, except for the rca cable that you need to route front to back. You still need to supply power to the mirror, which will involve getting behind the headliner. And you run the risk of it perhaps dropping out if the signal or poor quality video, depending on the quality of the bluetooth. While you're going behind the headliner, you may as well run an rca cable.

Unless you just want to plug it in to the cigarette lighter, but that will look pretty crap with the wire hanging there.
Ronin187
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Ronin187 »

Ah... scrap the wireless idea then. I still want to put some insulation on... in the roof. Plus with the one piece headliner it won't be that hard.
Which kit did you use Husky?
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

I used a Gator kit that super cheap auto sells. I removed the adjustable brackets on the mirror, and then used a good quality double sided tape to fix it to my stock mirror. The cable then runs along the stock mount and tucks under the headliner. I have a one piece headliner too, so it was easy. You can run the cables up the a pillar if you have the a pillar pieces like i do, very easy. Much easier than a stock headliner where you would have to run the cables from the rear pillars.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Husky65 wrote:With wireless though, all the wiring is exactly the same, except for the rca cable that you need to route front to back.
I just struggle with the thought of all that wiring in a wireless system. :poke:
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Yup, really feels like false advertising. All the wiring is still there except for the rca cable, which I don't think even really counts as wiring.
Ronin187
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Ronin187 »

So spent last night beginning my wiring project. With all the aftermarket systems that iI'm now running in the car, and with the further additions that I'm planning, I want to centralise the majority of the control modules to on location and tidy up the various relays and power sources.

So I've Bluetooth amp and gear vendors control unit in the trunk, and over the next few days ill start relocating the Dakota Digital and MSD units aft as well.

So hit a bit of a milestone the other night! Drove down to Wollongong and hit 1000km on the odometer! Pretty stoked. Prior to taking the car off the road 4 years ago I never drove it as much as I should've, mainly due to that niggling feeling that it wasn't totally reliable.

But with the upgrades - TBI, intank fuel pumps, disc brakes, all the suspension upgrades etc its really given me a lot more confidence in the car.

Now the next thing (after or concurrently) is getting the ac up and running. Sitting in traffic at Brigthon Le Sands with my boxer in the back panting his little heart out wasn't fun with the interal temps at around 30 degrees wasn't fun..

I've got the Vintage Air Gen IV unit instalted and new condenser ready to go. Last pieces of the puzzle are ( I guess..) a compressor, bracketry and running lines. Has anyone used the Vintage Air kit? could you provide serial numbers / part number of the bits I don't have?
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

This guy may be able to help, give him a call. What size radiator are you running, always a problem with over heating when you fit ac to these old cars.

http://speedyairspares.com.au/catalog/U ... L-4-1.html
Ronin187
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Ronin187 »

Cheers mate ill check that out.

So decided to jump into the little wiring project that I was thinking about. Primarily because I really want to make some progress on getting the GV unit in and I if I get the wiring in and routed to its required location then it'll save some time on the back end.

Now, everyones favourite things! Photos!!

So after about 30 minutes had the majority of the interior removed - I'm getting pretty quick at this stuff now!

This is also going to allow me to tidy up some of the things that have been bugging me for a while - fitting the dash cluster correctly, trying to get the kick panels set so they don't impinge on the door cards etc.
Ronin187
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Ronin187 »

Ignore the pop-art mounting board, just needed something to get me started.

So got the GV controller setup, the CAN-Bus cables are pretty long so shouldn't have any issues mounting the controller in the trunk.

Above it is the Kicker Bluetooth amp, not a bad unit at all. Only two channel output however, so I may get a second one to run the front speakers...

Next big decision is which switch mechanism to use. I actually received two complete sets of control modules, wiring and switches. so if anyone needs the second, its available.
Ronin187
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Ronin187 »

so the longer unit like this ( but recessed into the back of the...cubby hole???)

Ronin187
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Ronin187 »

orrrr the squarer type like this

Each should be seated deep enough to be out of plain sight, especially if mounted high in the hole. And I believe that GV offers a splitter switch that mounts on the shift lever of a manual trans, so that'll be the next thing to get rid of the floor mounted dimmer-esq switch.
Ronin187
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Ronin187 »

So with a bit of hard work this week I should have the interior back to this state, and still looking relatively stock to the untrained eye.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Looks great.