my 65 re-paint!!

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: my 65 re-paint!!

Post by ozbilt »

I would put a scope up there & have a look. I bet there is more than you can see at the moment. Would not surprise me to see some pin holes in the lower panel of the plenum.

If only a few, then I would oxy/acet weld them up with a small tip. Then some POR15 in there.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

If it looks bad in there, then sections will be needed. So a bit of surgery. From memory, mert's project had that done.
Kerry

Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Shaunp wrote:Image
Alright, close enough as it is a Queenslander ...... :popcorn:
Kerry

mjb0015
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mjb0015 »

Kerry and Shaunp how do I go about removing the grill top? looks like its welded??
Hanging around... and around
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

mjb0015 wrote:Kerry and Shaunp how do I go about removing the grill top? looks like its welded??
Go buy a spot weld drill & a few hours later ......

Actually not a bad panel to do. The repo stuff fits & you have little issue lining stuff up. Also not too bad to weld up, that is no buckling ...... ;)
Kerry

mjb0015
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mjb0015 »

Cheers mate
Hanging around... and around
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Have fun.... hope your pics are less blurry than mine.

xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

I think nearly every project thread on here has a section about replacing the cowl.

Depends how bad the underside is as to whether you do a repair like Shaun or replace the entire thing like Hybrid and myself did.
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
Astro
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by Astro »

Mine will too - replacing top & bottom.

Rear end is a problem tho...

Cheers

J
I love big birds - I cannot lie...
67fastysm
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by 67fastysm »

hi mark this is what i did with my hinges , took them to the local chrome plater and he dipped them and got them clean then blue cadium plated them came up a treat and mine were much worse than yours and we didnt need to pull them apart . Also looking at that top mounting hole for the hinge on the inner fender may need to fix that could cause a fitment issue
cheers shane
Last edited by 67fastysm on Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

If there is any play in the hinges I would just replace them. Not that expensive and makes sure the bonnet doesn't move and chip the new paint.
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Yeah if they are worn out the bonnet will sit at the rear when you close it you can push it down
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Shaunp wrote:Yeah if they are worn out the bonnet will sit at the rear when you close it you can push it down
On 65/66 and probably later ones you can actually rotate the hinge to overcome the "high at the back syndrome". With the hood on, loosen two bolts and push the front of the hood up, this forces the back of the hinge down and raises the front of the hinge. As you can guess its easier with two people.
i have lost count of the hoods I have fitted to these cars and only found one hinge where this dosnt work. It also works on early Falcons, in fact thats where I learnt it.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

nassi wrote:
Shaunp wrote:Yeah if they are worn out the bonnet will sit at the rear when you close it you can push it down
On 65/66 and probably later ones you can actually rotate the hinge to overcome the "high at the back syndrome". With the hood on, loosen two bolts and push the front of the hood up, this forces the back of the hinge down and raises the front of the hinge. As you can guess its easier with two people.
i have lost count of the hoods I have fitted to these cars and only found one hinge where this dosnt work. It also works on early Falcons, in fact thats where I learnt it.
& if you run out of adjustment with that trick, you then move to the British idea of a shim between the hinge & hood on the front bolt location ...... :poke:
Kerry