my 65 re-paint!!

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: my 65 re-paint!!

Post by ozbilt »

Starter is out of a 72. No big deal as it was the same, just letting you know .....

A close enough version of the timeline for FoMoCo branding I found on the net to confirm what I already knew .......

FoMoCo bought Autolite in 1957, but did not begin using it's name in their marketing until 1-1-60.

Rotunda was still used as FoMoCo dealer sold parts through September of 1965.

Autolite branded parts (besides spark plugs) began surfacing in late 1963 early 1964.

FoMoCo slowly began to change the name of it's special service tool division to Rotunda (which it is still called) in late 1965/early 1966. At that time they began replacing the Rotunda parts brand name with Autolite.

Autolite remained the mainstay for FoMoCo aftermarket EVERYTHING until the federal government sued FoMoCo for anti trust violations in 1969. By the time the lawsuit was settled in 1971 FoMoCo already had begun to revert to the Motorcraft name which they had use in the 50's for their aftermarket division.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
mjb0015
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mjb0015 »

Kerry thanks for the info I didn't know, well its clean and painted, but I will get rid of it as I at least want a 65 starter.
Would you know where I could get one? the starters on ebay in the US charge heaps for shipping.

Here is the old starter here, cleaned up ok

Mark
Hanging around... and around
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

I do not know of any, but you should be able to find one locally if you are patient.

Phil Beresford is the MCA Gold Card Judge for early Mustangs & lives in Victoria, he may know of one. You could probably contact him via Sean @ BossKraft as they are good mates.
Kerry

chopmgw
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by chopmgw »

I got a rebuilt one from Big Al.
Might be worth asking the question.
I smell oranges !

Michael
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

chopmgw wrote:I got a rebuilt one from Big Al.
Might be worth asking the question.
donoauto is the man for rebuilding any electrical part. Mail to him & he mails back. Quick, painless & he does a great job.

Also Mark (donoauto) is a big part of our family here ...... :poke:
Kerry

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

If I cared about Rugby League, I'd say bugger him because he supports QLD.

But because I don't care - carry on gentlemen.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

hybrid wrote:If I cared about Rugby League, I'd say bugger him because he supports QLD.

But because I don't care - carry on gentlemen.
How football sounds to people that don't care (like me) .......

Firstly, imagine every time within a day that football is mentioned by someone else. Secondly, replace it with something that you don't want to hear about every day. Say... Archaeology. Then, think carefully about how an average day would pan out.

So, you awaken to the clock radio. It's 7AM. Just as you awaken, it's time for the news and archaeology already. Not news and other historical investigations, like library restorations or museum openings (unless there's another event happening), but just the news and archaelogy. Malaysian plane is still missing. Pistorius is still on trial. New dig announced in Giza. Ancient Mayan temple discovered. Exciting stuff.

Time for a bite to eat over the morning TV. More news. More archaeology. Yes, you are aware of what is up with the missing plane. Fine. Now the archaeology in video format. Video of people dusting off some skulls and bits of pottery. All well and good, but archaeology isn't your thing. It would be nice to hear about something else.

Even when it isn't archaeology season, the media follow noted archaeologists. They drive fast cars, date beautiful women, advertise fragrances, and sometimes they go to nightclubs and act in the worst possible way. Scandals erupt as the tabloids follow these new celebrities when they're not searching the past for answers. It is entirely possible you can recite the names of certain researchers, even if you don't pay attention to archaeology. You don't know what transfer season is, but you know that someone was transferred to a dig in Peru for a sum of money that could fund the London Underground for two whole days.

Out of the car at 8:55 and into work. What are the colleagues talking about, I wonder? Oh, Jones dropped a 3,890 year old pot and smashed it? What a useless wanker! Someone should do something unpleasant to him. And don't even ask about the unfortunate incident in Athens two years ago - you'll be there all day! Breaking a pillar like that! We don't talk about that here, mate. What? You don't want to discuss the finer points of the prevalence of phallic imagery in Pompeii? Is there something wrong with you?

The drive home from work. Every thirty minutes, no matter the station, someone mentions the archaeology. Best sit in silence. Drive past a huge billboard with a black and white picture of a rakishly handsome archaeologist draped over an impossibly beautiful woman. He's winking at you. Trowel in his left hand, supermodel in the right. Jurassic, by Calvin Klein.

And now the pub. A nice pub with a beer garden. Posters in the windows. LIVE EXCAVATION AT THE VALLEY OF THE KINGS! All of it on a huge TV with the volume up too loud. Drunken people yelling at the screen. "SEND IT FOR CARBON DATING, YOU USELESS ***K!" "WHAT ARE YOU ON, MATE? DUST THE ANCIENT MEDALLION GENTLY! SMELTING METHODS OF THE TIME PRODUCED VERY SOFT AND IMPURE METALS EASILY PRONE TO DISFIGURATION!" All this from two men out of a crowd of twenty. One lousy drunken idiot and his chum ruin the image of other archaeology fans. Carbon dating report from the lab updates on TV, read by a man employed because they've been following the beautiful science since they were a boy. The drunk chimes in again. "WHAT PHARAOH'S REIGN DID YOU SAY? DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS SAYS ABOUT THE UNDERPINNINGS OF OUR THEORY OF AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT OF 4TH BC EGYPT? GET IN, MATE!" A cheer cascades through the building and you can only wonder why.

Best go home and avoid anyone who might be drinking and singing. You once met a disagreeable chap who threatened to beat you up because you didn't watch the archaeology. "Not a late paleolithic era supporter are you? Think you're better than me? I'll have you, you scrawny tw*t!"

To bed. To repeat the cycle tomorrow. The inescapable, inevitability that wherever you go, someone, somewhere, is just dying to talk to you about the archaeology.
Kerry

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Apparently it is just as bad in South America ......

Quote: "I'm not British, but in Chile it's pretty much the same with football. So, to follow your archeology analogy:

You put on the news, and they're covering the violent death of a fan of Egyptian artifacts at the hands of fans of Mesoamerican temples. Followed by a report of how a famous local archeologist was driving drunk and ran over a woman, killing her instantly, but was allowed to walk free because, you know, archeology!

Sickened, you try to catch up with other sciences. You know there's excellent local scientists from other disciplines, so what do you find? A promising astrophysics student has to work 2 jobs just to pay for his education, because there's no national programs to support people like him. A team of local mathematicians just won a world-level math contest! Amazing! But these only get a small note on the news, at most. Here comes another hour of archeology news!

You try to clear your mind of it, live your life in peace, not to let it bother you. But every weekend, sometimes even during the week, there's loads of loud archeology fans chanting on the streets, vandalizing the streets and public transportation, fighting in gangs, you name it.

And god forbid you live near a history museum! Some days you just can't leave your house.

And the saddest thing? Archeologists are treated like such rockstars, paid such outrageous sums of money and given so much attention, that thousands of kids, specially in the poorest segments of the country, spend all their time digging up stones, soda cans and hardened dog turds, convinced that their dream of being a big-time archeologist will one day come true. Only one in hundreds of thousands makes it.

So you get really fucking sick of archeology after a while. I can't even imagine how bad it is in places like Brazil. I hear they recently had huge riots because people were demanding more resources went into education and food, rather than the huge series of museums they're building for the world archeology symposium they're hosting this year."
Kerry

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

"WHAT PHARAOH'S REIGN DID YOU SAY? DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS SAYS ABOUT THE UNDERPINNINGS OF OUR THEORY OF AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT OF 4TH BC EGYPT? GET IN, MATE!" A cheer cascades through the building and you can only wonder why.
I can just see a bloke in a pub screaming that out :lol:
mjb0015
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mjb0015 »

Thanks fellas will contact Mark.
Phil is a good bloke spoke to him a few times, might also drop him a line.
And down South fellas the real game is AFL :like:
Astro
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by Astro »

mjb0015 wrote:Thanks fellas will contact Mark.
Phil is a good bloke spoke to him a few times, might also drop him a line.
And down South fellas the real game is AFL :like:
Archaeology Followers League :poke:

:mrgreen:

J
I love big birds - I cannot lie...
mjb0015
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mjb0015 »

Hey Astro definitely but it reads Absolute frickin legends :)
mjb0015
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mjb0015 »

cross member installed now to install power steering back in a few days

Astro
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by Astro »

Any updates on this resto?

Cheers

J
I love big birds - I cannot lie...
mjb0015
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mjb0015 »

So a month ago I started back on my restoration of my 65GT coupe, Caspian blue. I have been in the wilderness for a long time advancing my career and family! Now body work is almost done. Rear quarter replaced, both doors, will be ready so for primer and prep for paint! Looking forward to seeing my beast back to her Caspian blue. Going to replace most chrome, interior seats done just need to get the rest of the interior to finish when painted.
I have missed this forum greatly, especially the mateship and help from fellow forumers, so happy to be back, photos will follow soon??