Poor quality parts

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Poor quality parts

Post by nassi »

Always hard to remember then all at once but here is a start to a poor quality parts list. Please add to it.
Scott Drake will probably be unfairly represented due to the huge number of parts they reproduce.
hybrid wrote: Can I request from everyone that if you add to your list, please edit your original post to add, so we don't have a huge sprawling thread.
Power steering cylinder boot, Scott Drake. Became a bunch of ringlets in a matter of weeks.

Shifter rebuild kit, Scott Drake. The rubber components reverted to jelly within a few weeks.

69 fastback trunklid seal, Scott Drake. Incorrect profile and density.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Poor quality parts

Post by hybrid »

I will have to check my PS boot. Not sure what brand it is, but my PS ram cushion rubber (where it mounts to the chassis) lasted about 5 mins.

Drake door and trunk seals were terrible. Way too hard.
Drake Windscreen Wiper switch - did not function well, and plastic housing broke easily
Last edited by hybrid on Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
MustangMedic
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by MustangMedic »

Drake Brake light switch...failed to work....
Cheers.
Medic
(Always work smarter not harder!!!)
67 C Code coupe
Cruzn65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Cruzn65 »

Highway 1 (from California Mustang) 65-66 convertible top rubber kit.... what a dog. Header and side strips were glued not moulded and the whole strip wasn't wide enough resulting in the glue separating and rendering the replacement a waste of the hard earned. On the other hand the Scott Drake replacement I got was about 1000% better.
early Mustang enthusiast\collector of all bits Mustang
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

New Vintage USA (NVU), white faced gauges and bracketry for 69 Mustang.

Out of the box these things simply dont fit. You will need to do quite a bit of reshaping and modifying of your original housing to even get close.
Quite a few hours work so if your paying someone to fit ithem be prepared for a fiscal shock.
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

scott drake power steering ram rubbers fell apart in 2000 miles, scott drake window winder knob 1 wk before it pulled out
68Coupe
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by 68Coupe »

Made in USA Power Steering Pressure Hose from CJ Pony Parts - the metal tube that attaches to the control valve split after 1,250 miles. :x

http://www.cjponyparts.com/power-steeri ... 8/p/PSHP4/
66nag
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by 66nag »

Kilkenny Castings $75 thermostat housing for 289 Windsor. (part # W02/W02A). Outlet diameter is half the diameter of the original due to very thick wall casting. Bypass hose attachment point very thick and would require filing down mould casting joins to ensure the hose fits snugly and wouldn't leak. Shame, as Aussie made... :(
CobraJet
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by CobraJet »

Onto my fourth fuel sender unit. They tend to start leaking around the rubber grommet of the fuel level sending unit electrical plug.

Scott Drake aren't any better than the cheaper Chinese stuff. If you need one order two as this will ruin your day.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

I think you will find the Scott Drake stuff is Chinese, as are most of the parts these days.
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

I am having a problem with mine as well, a very slow vapour leak is the best way to explain it. You can really smell it and when you touch the bottom of the tank under the sender it is a little wet. Anyone know a better brand to use?
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

I must have got one from a good batch. Mines Scott drake and i have pulled that thing on and off at least 5 times for various reasons while i was stuffing around with some custom bits and never had a leak. Actually it did once when i reinstalled it but thats cause the rubber o ring moved out of place. I found a tip to use vasoline to hold it in place. Im also using an aftermarket fuel tank. Never had a problem with the product itself though.
'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid

'You can never have too many gauges' -
Boofhead
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

Apparently there are two versions of the Daniel Carpenter trunk weatherstrip, one made in the US, the other made in China, same part no. but the Chinese one has an added letter at the end, avoid the cheaper one, the rubber is hard and doesn't seal as good.

NPD sell both simply because more people want the cheaper version due to price but it's not as good.

s
JustinDeTorres
Suspended
Suspended

Post by JustinDeTorres »

This switch mounts on the brake junction block to warn the driver of potential brake failure through a warning light on the dash.

Edit (hybrid): I say I'm in QLD, but I post from Dhaka. I'm naughty.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

hi justin, welcome to the forum.
I will someday think of something clever to say.