Oil leak. Solved!!! I hope!!

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

69candy
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Oil leak. Solved!!! I hope!!

Post by 69candy »

So I have been chasing an oil leak under my car for a while. pretty sure it was g/box (top loader) Replaced the front and rear seals again, as it was rebuilt, leak still there!! Replaced the sump gasket, Still oil leaking!! could not tell if g/box or engine oil. Few people tried!! Drove it around again for a few trips. After the trip to the the all ford day at Geelong, and getting home, it still left an oil patch. FFS!!! So I pulled the gearbox again to check the seals, and thinking maybe a rear main.
After looking around under the car there was no oil on the front of the flywheel. MM not the rear main. Oil in the bell housing and on clutch MM
Front gbox seal looks like it was leaking.
Upon further looking, it appears the whelsh plug, for a better word, that goes in the front of the gbox at the end of the selector shaft appears to be leaking!! The lay shaft also looks like it may be leaking a tad as well. So I am putting in new seals f/rear and have cleaned up the front of the box an applied some hi temp RTV silicon over the end of the shafts. Hopfully this fixes it!! So if your chasing an oil leak on a toploader!! Look there!! Will report back in a few weeks when I get it back together
Hopfully its fixed!!!!!