Shaun's 69 Coupe build

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

shaun071
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Re: Shaun's 69 Coupe build

Post by shaun071 »

I'm also on a US based forum and found a number of cars using the Shelby convertible rear boot/extensions or this set up from Meier Racing. Anyone here used this rear? I kind of like it but undecided. Opinions??
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I'm not a huge fan.. kills the lines of the rear end IMO and make it look like a camaro.

I don't mind camaros, but if I had one I would remove the rear spoiler.
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

I'm with hybrid, but it is your car so do whatever makes you happy.
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

shaun071 wrote:I had a set of the round hole 12 slotters so decided to clean them up and they'll be the wheels until I can raise some cash for better wheels. I'll probably only go to a 15 inch wheel. I'm tossing up between Ansen sprints or one of the torque thrust style wheels. The Centerline Telstars on it aren't my thing.
May have a spare set of Aunger Hustlers 14 x7 oz copy of US racer Torque Thrusts.

nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

shaun071 wrote:I'm also on a US based forum and found a number of cars using the Shelby convertible rear boot/extensions or this set up from Meier Racing. Anyone here used this rear? I kind of like it but undecided. Opinions??
I dont mind it.
shaun071
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shaun071 »

hybrid wrote:I'm not a huge fan.. kills the lines of the rear end IMO and make it look like a camaro.

It is different. Maybe a bit too tall, like someone grafted a SLR/5000 spoiler onto it. From the guys that have fitted it in the US the quality control is pretty shitful and the pieces need a heap of work to get everything to line up. I'd prefer something a bit more subtle with a lower lip. I have seen photos of a 69 convertible with the fastback lip grafted onto a stock tail. I think Chip Foose did it. It looked pretty good to me, but well beyond my abilities and budget.
shaun071
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shaun071 »

Shaunp, I'll keep the hustlers in mind when I've got some cash.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

shaun071 wrote:
hybrid wrote:I'm not a huge fan.. kills the lines of the rear end IMO and make it look like a camaro.

It is different. Maybe a bit too tall, like someone grafted a SLR/5000 spoiler onto it. From the guys that have fitted it in the US the quality control is pretty shitful and the pieces need a heap of work to get everything to line up. I'd prefer something a bit more subtle with a lower lip. I have seen photos of a 69 convertible with the fastback lip grafted onto a stock tail. I think Chip Foose did it. It looked pretty good to me, but well beyond my abilities and budget.
Google image search " 69 shelby de mexico ". The roof lines help the rear end immensely .......

https://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en& ... h&imgdii=_
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
shaun071
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shaun071 »

I've got some pics of the shelby de mexico in a book here and the extended roof definitely helps the lines. With the tail its one of those things where I like it because its different but I'm not sure whether I like it enough to do it to my car. If my boot lid was rotted out it would be something I'd have to seriously consider as I'm pretty sure the 69 coupe boot lid isn't reproduced.
shaun071
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shaun071 »

Milestone achieved!!! Not picture worthy but all the rust in the floors is done. I just have to paint the floors and put on sound deadener. I have to do a patch under the battery tray then on to the suspension/brakes.
shaun071
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shaun071 »

I've been pretty busy lately with work so I haven't had much time for the coupe. I got a coupe of hours clear last week end so got under the battery tray patched and welded up the holes on the tunnel for the B&M shifter.

I know the panel really needs to be replaced but the patch will do for now. My plan is to get it on the road and enjoy it for a while then do an engine bay repaint when I have a new motor and the AOD ready to fit. My ute sold a couple of weeks ago so I've been on a spending spree- picked up a factory shifter, the rest of the suspension/brake bits I need and some new leather trim for the BA seats. Looks and smells nice. :fap: :fap:
The guy sells on ebay and I got them for $250 delivered. I've got a date to have the coupe on the road now as baby #2 is due in August. I remember promising the Mrs the coupe would be done in time for Shannon's birth but here we are part way there and Shannon is 15months old!!
shaun071
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shaun071 »

I had some spare time while on leave for the birth of my son, so I spent a couple of hours under the coupe cleaning off the old body deadener. Fun job!! I had some luck and sold my XB convertible so I've had a budget boost and can get some of the more exxy parts air con kit etc. i've decided to go with a 351C now. I've got one in the shed that I built for straight LPG, it just needs a freshen up and a couple of changes to run petrol again.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

shaun071
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shaun071 »

Thanks for the link Nassi. I'd heard of the conformal tanks and even got a quote for the XB convertible when I changed it to LPG. The main reason I've gone off LPG is convenience and cost. It's a 50km round trip to the nearest servo with LPG. It'll still be cheaper than running petrol but not as big a saving now LPG is around 90c. The conversion is about $3-4k. I'm just thinking its easier and cheaper to buy a carb/manifold and drop the comp ratio a bit on the 351. If I still lived in the city it would definitely be a consideration though. When I changed my XD over to straight LPG it cost me $1000 and LPG was only 19.9c a litre.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Those days are long gone :lol: