Driving a LHD Drive Manual

Participate in this forum before you part with your money
GregC
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Driving a LHD Drive Manual

Post by GregC »

Hi
As you may have seen in other Forums I am looking at purchasing my First Mustang and would like some feedback in the driving a LHD that is also a Manual. A couple of cars that I like are Manual.
I was originally thinking of getting an Auto even though I am a past Manual Driver for a number of years and still occasionally get to drive a Manual. My thought pattern was that it would be too hard to adjust to LHD plus Manual. I know it is only the Gearstick that is different.
Am I being too cautious and would be actually missing out on something. I would appreciate the thoughts of both Manual and Auto LHD Drivers please.
Greg

Living the Dream
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Driving a LHD Drive Manual

Post by hybrid »

Can't help you with personal experience, but I have heard others say that they actually prefer the feeling of shifting with their right hand.
Foresight
Zebras for hire
Zebras for hire

Post by Foresight »

More control on the gear stick but less control with the left hand while shifting. That is relative to a rhd and is only for the second you are changing gears.

The only problem is visibility when pulling up to an intersection or when overtaking. I have just adjusted my driving style to suit. I pull up perpendicular to intersections instead of starting to turn before I stop. As far as overtaking I just wait for a lane or just cruise behind the car in front and enjoy the ride.

Personally I enjoy it but I can see how some people may not.
Cheers,
Lee & Q
69 428 mach 1 - Guess who...it's Q!
S[_]SPECT
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by S[_]SPECT »

Depends on driving style...
It doesnt take long to adjust to LHD when driving 'normally' - Although im an auto.
'Spirited' driving takes a bit longer to get used to
I know a guy that is uncomfortable when his LHD Camaro gets sideways..(and thats auto)

I wouldnt let LHD put me off a car.. even manual.. you get used to it..
Cheers,
Birchy...
Dodgy Bros. Customs

Suspect 67 - http://www.mustangtech.com.au/Forums/vi ... /t=52.html
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

I drive LH & RH drive cars in a lot of countries, some manual, others auto. We even had Mrsozbilt's RH drive Mach in the USA for many years ......

As Lee said above, it is more about being aware rather than the hand that is changing gear.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ponyride »

Your brain adapts, don't worry. I've become used to driving manual LHD. I got used to it in a hurry when I had to drive a LHD manual in a foreign country.

It really does depend on the car and what type of driving you want to do Greg. Sometimes I want to cruise and just plonk it in "D" with my arm resting on the window and relax.

My 1970 fastback however, is a four speed manual, no power steering and I wouldn't have it any other way, it's a blast to drive and would lose its soul if it was an auto.

There's nothing like a manual to make the most of an engine and enjoy the exhaust note I reckon.

My opinion only.
Rick.

Old things amuse all minds.
6R07K
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by 6R07K »

Got to leave them left, its half the fun of having one of these cars. I think you'll find the shifter being under the wrong hand makes very little difference.

The only serious side to being LHD is country driving and over taking. I would be welling to bet most Mustangs spend their time cruising around town and dual lane roads where it doesn't make a difference. Anyway its about the drive not the destination, so be patient and wait for the right opportunity :P
Cheers

Ben

Lifes short, play hard.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

6R07K wrote: The only serious side to being LHD is country driving and over taking. I would be welling to bet most Mustangs spend their time cruising around town and dual lane roads where it doesn't make a difference.
That pic taken above was taken in Iowa & notice the gravel road. One thing I do see over here is Mustangs traveling on "secondary" roads (not dual lane highways) as cruising runs have become more popular. As I said above, I spend a lot of time in cars that have the steering wheel on the opposite side to what is norm in that particular country. Reality I would consider city driving way more dangerous as there are more idiots to contend with. With that in mind, I restrict myself to very little driving in the city (in any car).
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Foresight
Zebras for hire
Zebras for hire

Post by Foresight »

Ben is from perth ozbilt so take our "city" driving with a grain of salt :rotfl:
Cheers,
Lee & Q
69 428 mach 1 - Guess who...it's Q!
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Foresight wrote:Ben is from perth ozbilt so take our "city" driving with a grain of salt :rotfl:
He is right about the idiots though.
6R07K
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by 6R07K »

nassi wrote:
Foresight wrote:Ben is from perth ozbilt so take our "city" driving with a grain of salt :rotfl:
He is right about the idiots though.
More so in Perth then a lot of places.
Cheers

Ben

Lifes short, play hard.
ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ponyride »

It's the only place I've seen where you can have four or five cars sitting in the RH lane at traffic lights and nothing in the left lane. The freeway's the same, everyone wants ther piece of real estate in the right lane and you can cruise past them in the left. Abject stupidity.
Rick.

Dynamic
Living the Mustang Dream
Living the Mustang Dream

Post by Dynamic »

ponyride wrote:It's the only place I've seen where you can have four or five cars sitting in the RH lane at traffic lights and nothing in the left lane. The freeway's the same, everyone wants ther piece of real estate in the right lane and you can cruise past them in the left. Abject stupidity.
Rick I remember the campaigns a few years back, "keep left save lives" or "keep left unless overtaking" and it was policed for about as long as my sex life.
Pete
Mustang Project:
http://dynamicstang.blogspot.com
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

driving in the empty left lanes are the most enjoyable part of Perth,... other than nassi's roast chicken oh and the Qantas lounge........
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ponyride »

Dynamic wrote:
ponyride wrote:It's the only place I've seen where you can have four or five cars sitting in the RH lane at traffic lights and nothing in the left lane. The freeway's the same, everyone wants ther piece of real estate in the right lane and you can cruise past them in the left. Abject stupidity.
Rick I remember the campaigns a few years back, "keep left save lives" or "keep left unless overtaking" and it was policed for about as long as my sex life.
I think they gave up in despair.
Rick.