Projext X 1967 Fastback

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Projext X 1967 Fastback

Post by rkmiller73 »

OK, so I thought about a name for the project and since the car paint code is "X" (Vintage Burgandy, and after checking to see if that was used already here I have so far decided to call this one PROJECT X.

For the sake of continuity and at the risk of boring those that are in the know from my earlier posts here is the back ground and the final dissasembly photos.

Background: obtained what was left of this 1967 "S" code 390 fastback from a farmer's field back in 1997.

It is was an "S" code 390, non-GT car with dual exhausts, exterior decor package, styled steel wheels, deluxe steering wheel, fold down rear seat, deluxe seat belts with light, C6 automatic - I think that was about it.

It was one of two 67 fastback parts cars I have and finally decided maybe I should restore it. I never got much for parts off of it anyway, just felt sorry for it sitting in a field.

Photos of final dissasembly

rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: Projext X 1967 Fastback

Post by rkmiller73 »

I took the car to a business that dips the body in a tank for paint removal and another for rust removal in a non-acidic process. It has been there since December 25, 2013.

I went by there on Thursday Feb 7, 2013 and they had put it in the paint removal tank for a few days, next it will go to the rust tank after a few more days in paint removal.

Some rust around areas I expected and then unexpected around the lower part of the shock towers.

rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

Now this next part some of you may think I have completely lost it - my wife thought that years ago! :help:

I was researching floor pans and got several recommendations for a new company called Thoroughbred GT. They are a new manufacturer of complete floor pan assemblies from tail light panel to firewall toe board. These are supposed to be top quality, better than the Dynacorn and fit well per the references I talked to and made in the USA.

SOOOOOOO, I ordered one.

It arrived last Thursday Feb 7, 2013.

It came to my local shipping terminal in a crate. I picked up 4 large swivel wheel castors (rubber inflatable) from Harbor frieght and made a basic wood cart. When I arrived at the shipping terminal and inspected the floor pan I had them put it directly onto the cart, which I then screwed to the wood cart. When I got home, I just pushed it off my trailer and into the shop.

Here are the photos of the floor pan, I have not uncrated it as of yet, but it has all the brackets for E brake, seat belts, dual exhausts, axle bumpers, etc. Much more detailed than I expected. Overall so far I am impressed and if it fits as well as it looks then this should be interesting.

goldscode
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by goldscode »

Well youve certainly got my interest !! seeing as ive missed any of your previous posts welcome to the forum rkmiller73 , that pan has really got me thinking, certainly looks the goods , good to see another fastback getting a shot in the ass !!!

cheers Ralph
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

That floor look nice. Make sure you save the rear seat brackets off the old floor.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

Yes I am saving the seat brackets from the old pan. One of my rules to restoration is not to throw anything away from the restoration for 10 years AFTER the vehicle is finished. Well so far I have not thrown really much of anything away from previous restorations so make that 25 years.

Here is a shot so you can see the wheels of the cart I made.

scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

This is going to be a fun build, looking forward to more progress. :like:

Im surprised it rusted out at the bottom of the towers, my Mustangs and alot of my Falcons were caked in greasy dirt mix down there from the suspension grease points and is like new once removed. I can only assume it wasnt greased up much.
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Another 67/68 fast backup saved. Looking forward to this one and it looks like it will be painted red at this early stage if keep original. NI saying this though, what are the overall plans for this car rk? Concours, restomod?
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Nice one... looking forward to seeing this progress.
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

Plans are restomod.

I am going back to Vintage Burgandy with the black interior and keep mostly stock.

Mods: Power disc brakes up front, 5 speed manual transmission, traction lock rear with 3.5 gears, mild camshaft upgrade, aluminum intake and maybe heads too.

It should look mostly stock, but some moderate bolt ons to improve performance and reliability.

The floor pans are fairly rotten all the way back to the tail light panel and the firewall will need some work too along with the battery tray apron and radiator support and both rear quarters.

My goal right now is to get the body back into shape and later will work on the rolling parts.
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

Nice project that should keep you amused for a while. The one piece floor you have are good fun to fit.
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

Went by today and they were just taking her out of the rust dip tank after the first 24 hours. I looked it over some with the guys and it will probably need another 24 hours and then they will spray it with DP40 primer inside and out.

Last edited by rkmiller73 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
eaturbo_39
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by eaturbo_39 »

Bud how much was you pan delivered and who does your dipping im curently doin my 68 fastback in the same if not slightly worse condition lol
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

He is in the states, not Aus.
eaturbo_39
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by eaturbo_39 »

Dam lol