GT350 tribute

For those of us who are lucky enough to have a working Mustang instead of a project!
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

GT350 tribute

Post by StephenSLR »

Hi all,

I found this place after googling for some Mustang technical info so thought I'd join in and say hi. I notice a few familiar names so won't go into too much detail.

For those that don't know, I've just imported this into Aus. Here it is at the warehouse ready to be picked up

It's now at SMS getting ready for rego.

Thanks to Shermatt International, here's a vid of Matt inspecting the car.

If you buy overseas ALWAYS!!! get it inspected.

s
Last edited by StephenSLR on Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
bages
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: GT350 tribute

Post by bages »

welcome aboard :)

that tribute looks awesome!!
moe
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by moe »

Congrats on the arrival of your new baby!!!!

You going to enjoy it as is or are there some changes/mods planned???
mwizz
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by mwizz »

Welcome Stephen, good to see you here as well
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Welcome aboard... that's a helluva nice ride!

You won't find us any other way than searching... that other site bans the use of our name :)
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

moe wrote:You going to enjoy it as is or are there some changes/mods planned???
It's already modded too much.

I have to remove the front control arms. Where they join the chassis there's no bush, it's solidly mounted (rose joints). He said the car's been set up for circuit racing.

Same with uppers, you can't see the rose joint in the photo below but it's the same as the one above.

The bars from control arms to front of chassis (strut rods) are also solidly mounted with no bushing.

Both engine mounts are broken and the rear brake lines need to be secured properly. They recommend removing the anti-sway bar saying there's no need for one. Currently it's hitting the handbrake cable housing which is starting to show damage.

The most painful part - seat belts, the above is all hidden but I'm not happy having to mess with an original interior.

The rear belts either have to come out or have Aus. standard ones put in. They didn't come with rear belts in 1965 so they're not required. It's no big deal to remove them but this is where it gets totally absurd. Whoever wrote the standards is saying it's safer for my rear passengers to ride without seat belts than to ride with US standard belts?

There's an oil leak, seems to be from sump gasket so I've asked to have that changed as well. I asked for a ballpark figure on what it'll cost all up to repair and told, with engineer's certificate around $3,500.

s
Last edited by StephenSLR on Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

StephenSLR wrote: I took it in to SMS, they've had an engineer go over the car. I'm up for $1,500 for the engineer's report alone.

I have to remove the front control arms. Where they join the chassis there's no bush, it's solidly mounted (rose joints). He said the car's been set up for circuit racing.

Same with uppers, you can't see the rose joint in the photo below but it's the same as the one above.

The bars from control arms to front of chassis (strut rods) are also solidly mounted with no bushing.

Both engine mounts are broken and the rear brake lines need to be secured properly. They recommend removing the anti-sway bar saying there's no need for one. Currently it's hitting the handbrake cable housing which is starting to show damage.

The most painful part - seat belts, the above is all hidden but I'm not happy having to mess with an original interior. Chris said since it's being engineered the front belts need to be lap-sash.

The rear belts either have to come out or have Aus. standard ones put in. They didn't come with rear belts in 1965 so they're not required. It's no big deal to remove them but this is where it gets totally absurd. Whoever wrote the standards is saying it's safer for my rear passengers to ride without seat belts than to ride with US standard belts?

There's an oil leak, seems to be from sump gasket so I've asked to have that changed as well. I asked for a ballpark figure on what it'll cost all up to repair and told, with engineer's certificate around $3,500.

s
Then you have the wrong engineer ! They are TCP arms & are legal here in all states. They have rose joints, but they have Kevlar seals. It is the seals they look for.

All you need is to show another car that has been approved, see muzz67 as his coupe had all that stuff.

Seat belts are no big issue, Hemco stock them & you can then fit inertia reel belts to the front as well.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
jusTANG
PatCH the Platypus
PatCH the Platypus

Post by jusTANG »

OZ to the rescue again :thumbs:

got to love this forum, bet you glad you found it now Steve :cheer:
Cheers,
j
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

ozbilt wrote:They have rose joints, but they have Kevlar seals. It is the seals they look for.
Yep this was the issue, same with the strut bars, it wasn't the actual arm, the problem being there was not enough cushioning. I think it's steel on steel.

I think I could possibly get away with just changing the joints at the ends of the arms though it may be easier just to change the arms? I also prefer a smoother ride.
ozbilt wrote:Seat belts are no big issue, Hemco stock them & you can then fit inertia reel belts to the front as well.
Chris said there's a place in Marrickville he can get belts from.

s
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

I've done a bit of research, Rose/Heim joints don't deteriorate gradually as would a rubber bush. As wear/play develops they can fail suddenly without warning.

The centres have been known to pull out, that's why you see large washers either side of the joint in some cases.

When racing use aerospace quality as a minimum, these have semi-exotic metals with exotic liner materials. Industrial ones range from plain carbon steel with steel on steel or bronze liners. Pretty ordinary and flog out very quickly and really aren't rated radially.

There are better joints than aerospace quality, German motorsport Heim joints have a self lubricating ball and double lip seals either side. They are also half the thickness of the industrial types - $180.00 per joint.

s
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

StephenSLR wrote:
ozbilt wrote:They have rose joints, but they have Kevlar seals. It is the seals they look for.
Yep this was the issue, same with the strut bars, it wasn't the actual arm, the problem being there was not enough cushioning. I think it's steel on steel.

I think I could possibly get away with just changing the joints at the ends of the arms though it may be easier just to change the arms? I also prefer a smoother ride.
Cushioning is NOT the issue with the engineer, they do not give a crap about comfort, only safety. It is the old idea of rose joints failing because of wear from no seal. A ball joint is steel on steel, only difference is that it has a rubber boot around it. The engineer will allow a urethane bushing in a stock A arm, & that is, again, a SOLID mount.
StephenSLR wrote:
ozbilt wrote:Seat belts are no big issue, Hemco stock them & you can then fit inertia reel belts to the front as well.
Chris said there's a place in Marrickville he can get belts from.

s
Go online & order from Hemco direct. They are in Victoria & will have them to you in days. If inertia reel, you then get a dropper that puts the shoulder belt where it needs to be. The inertia reel bolts to the rear torque box & the belt end goes to the standard inner rocker mount.
Kerry

StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

Most here recommend Hemco?

I do prefer the ones with a stalk rather than loose belt, there's a page full of angles, which inertia reel model would be best for the 65 fastback?

http://www.hemco.com.au/downloads/ExtendedGP.pdf

s
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

StephenSLR wrote:I've done a bit of research, Rose/Heim joints don't deteriorate gradually as would a rubber bush. As wear/play develops they can fail suddenly without warning.

The centres have been known to pull out, that's why you see large washers either side of the joint in some cases.

When racing use aerospace quality as a minimum, these have semi-exotic metals with exotic liner materials. Industrial ones range from plain carbon steel with steel on steel or bronze liners. Pretty ordinary and flog out very quickly and really aren't rated radially.

There are better joints than aerospace quality, German motorsport Heim joints have a self lubricating ball and double lip seals either side. They are also half the thickness of the industrial types - $180.00 per joint.

s
Let me know if you are getting rid of the TCP arms. If they are that dangerous I will make sure they are scrapped in a suitable way ..... ;)

I spent way too long in R&D of these products for the US & Australian markets to have them labeled as crap. Yes I tell people you can develop stock suspension to do everything you need without spending money, but if you want the best in aftermarket type suspension, then TCP is it.
Kerry

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

BTW, to my knowledge, there has never been a failure of a heim joint (rose joint) on a TCP suspension.

They had issues with the mounts on the strut bars years ago but I suggested the fix for that (& that was taken into production). Issue was the mount & way it was welded, not the heim joint.
Kerry

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

So the "engineer" had nothing to say about the braided brake hoses & the lowering blocks in the rear?

If not he is about as inconsistent as concourse judges are in this country.
Kerry