worries - imported vehicle

Participate in this forum before you part with your money
mustang-sally
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

worries - imported vehicle

Post by mustang-sally »

:argh: Hi people i have just purchase an older 1970 mustang of some business based in perth. I want to license the car once i finish restoring it. The add i found car on originally stated it comes with import and adr compliance.

However i have yet to receive this documentation or evidence its going to be provided from the seller. Ive been told the most import piece of paper is the DOTAR approval paper and that it is a 1 sheet piece of paper say the vehicle was imported and approved for import. Is there anyway to track down copies of this via the VIN info.

Also even if i get this paper work. What is needed to license it in WA. What does is been by ADR approval and who normally does this. Can a car be sold to a person without adr approval? if so along as i have dotar approval can i get any adr expert to comply car if this person has lied about the adr side of things.

Im just trying to hope I'm not getting conned here??! Any help anyone? I'm stressed,lost and confused and in desperate need for guidance and opinions?!
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: worries - imported vehicle

Post by nassi »

Firstly welcome to the forum.
Have you chased the seller for the paperwork? The car must have the import approval in order to get it licensed and the seller would have needed that to get the car into the country, so chase them up about that. Sometimes several cars are bought in by the same person and all listed on the same approval so the paper offered may be a copy with the relevant car highlighted.
Being a 1970 model it will need an engineers report ( I think this is what ia meant by the ADR report). This is generally done just before the car goes for license so that all necessary changes can be verified by the engineer.
Are you in WA?
Hope this is of some help.
cheers
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

Would that be a yellow 70 fastback on gum tree ( in Beeliar)? If so I know the seller and he is (I believe) able to engineer vehicles. Also, it is likely that he does have the import papers so it is just a matter of getting them off him. That said, he is a little notorious for being difficult to get in contact with and has had a recent tragedy in his family so may be a bit all over the place at the moment.
Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails
shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

Msally

They will have the Import approval, if they say they lost it...tell them to call federal office of road safety and have a reprint ordered over the phone...ITS FREE

Whats the business called?

Thers one over that way that alot of our clients and a few forum members keep hearing bad stuff about .....AustraliaWest/ westernstar/ lonestar or something like that...they do conversions or something similar but sell rusty mustangs on the side to keep there business afloat but advertise em as good clean cars

I hope you didnt buy it there

Good luck with it anyway

Matt
mustang-sally
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by mustang-sally »

No thats not the car. However questions still stands with regards to above.

When you refer to import papers - Do you just mean the approval papers for Department of Infrastructure and Transport. If I have these does that mean the vehicle can be sold to me without ADR compliance and that it can be chased up at anytime (with ease)?

Because the car doesn't have an import plate stapled onto it like have seen with other cars?
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

A 70 should not need that import plate you're talking about.
70 should still be before the ADR27A which was the nasty pollution one.

That import ticket allows the car to be imported to the country, and everything else can be done before rego inspection. I don't think you need anything else from the seller, unless Perth has some weirdo rules.
ADR 27A requires that each car built from July 1st, 1976 be fitted with a positive crankcase ventilation system, an evaporative emission control system and an exhaust gas recirculation system. As far as we’re aware, there were no specific emissions levels that had to be achieved – all a manufacturer had to do was install the specified equipment.
shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

If the car hasnt been registered before Msally, you will need a copy of the import approval (its one piece of paper)

They must supply it with the sale of the car if its not been registered before

An import approval allows the car to come into the country but also is form of ID in between picking a car up from the docks and taking the car to get a rego inspection or whatever it is you do over there in order to get it registered

Matt

PS. Hybrid is correct, a 1970 does not need a compliance plate stating ADR's (thats what you need the import approval for)
ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ponyride »

It's all pretty untidy on the part of the seller.

As others have said, yes the import approval is a one page Vehicle Import Approval from the department of Infrastructure and Transport. If the seller brings in lots of cars, he may have more than one car listed on the VIA but he can still give you a copy of it, it's that simple. You will need it to get the car licensed. If the car was advertised as coming with the approval and you're not getting it from the seller, tell him you want your money back, he's not meeting his end of the deal.

As for the ADR compliance, a plate is not needed but I suspect he/you mean an engineers certificate? This will be needed before you get the car licensed. If it's a 1970 build car (not a 69 build, 70 model) then it has to comply with the ADRs of the time (seat belts, brake hoses, amber indicators at rear and a few small things) so it will need some minor work to comply and has to be signed off by an engineer. This is not hard, but costs money. Again if it was promised then he has to deliver or compensate you for it.

Good luck, let us know how you go with it.
Rick.

Old things amuse all minds.
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

there will be things you need to change to get an import registered.

as long as they haven't made any mods such as disc brake conversion etc, you shouldn't need a signoff by an engineer, but i think there is some rules about post 69 cars needing lap sash seatbelts? thats about all they may need signoff on. everything else will just be a safety inspection that is standard for all cars.

oh and headlights adjusted to the left.

you may also need a reciept from the seller stating the VIN number for rego.
Dreaming the dream... Living the reality...
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

It sounds like you already have the Import Approval Papers, so you have everything you need from the seller by the sounds of it.

So rego is now just a matter of doing the mods required to pass the local pre-rego inspection.
moe
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by moe »

mustang-sally wrote: Because the car doesn't have an import plate stapled onto it like have seen with other cars?
70's don't have a plate in the engine bay. They have the VIN located at the base of the windscreen (LH side). The rest of the details are on the sticker located on the inside of the driver's door.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

tim_morrison82 wrote:there will be things you need to change to get an import registered.

as long as they haven't made any mods such as disc brake conversion etc, you shouldn't need a signoff by an engineer, but i think there is some rules about post 69 cars needing lap sash seatbelts? thats about all they may need signoff on. everything else will just be a safety inspection that is standard for all cars.

oh and headlights adjusted to the left.

you may also need a reciept from the seller stating the VIN number for rego.
In WA car's from 1970 on need engineers certification.
mustang-sally
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by mustang-sally »

First up thanks everyone for the help.

Thanks for clarifying the adr stuff. Where can i find out more about what adr's a 1970 car must comply with? Does anyone have links?

Also if you get a "adr compliance inspection report" signed off by an engineer does anyone know how long this last for?

To summerise to get car on road you would need:
import paper approval -> "adr compliance insp report" signed off -> restore n fix car as per necessary -> take over pit n pass insp -> done

Am i missing anything? (now its a matter of actually getting my paperwork - which is proving rather difficult)
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

If you continue to have issues getting a copy of the import approval, you could always write to DOTARS. They maintain a database of all imported Vins. They can't give you a copy of the import approval due to privacy laws but if you explain the situation, they can forward you a letter stating the import approval number and date. This is all you need. Been there, done that.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic