HELP IMPORTING FROM SOUTH HEDLAND (N OF PERTH)

Information on importing your car or parts

Moderator: Moderators

gotohellgadafi
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by gotohellgadafi »

As luck would have it, nothing is ever easy with buying these cars!

I have purchased a car but it is located in South Hedland (North of Perth), the car requires a container to be loaded into along with the extra parts and somehow, don't care how (rail, sea or air..lol) back to Sydney.

So far I've had no luck with shipping or container companies.

Plenty are willing to help to get it from Perth to Sydney, but I would need to get the car to them first, hence by problem!
I think I'm going to need a few :drink: to get through this one.

Can anyone here help? :bwagon:
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Re: HELP IMPORTING FROM SOUTH HEDLAND (N OF PERTH)

Post by tim_morrison82 »

South hedland.... its a bit of a dodgy area up there, did you get it checked out before buying?

Its gonna cost you bigtime unless you manage to get a backload. I'll see if i can find one for you, my mate has a trucking business and might know people coming back from there.

Goodluck
Dreaming the dream... Living the reality...
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Thats a bit harsh Tim, Its just a busy area and I sure you can find willing freighters looking for a backload to Perth. :like:
S[_]SPECT
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by S[_]SPECT »

BTW, N of Perth is a bit of an understatement..

I've you dont have any luck, let me know.. I know someone in Newcastle that shipped a car from up there..
Cheers,
Birchy...
Dodgy Bros. Customs

Suspect 67 - http://www.mustangtech.com.au/Forums/vi ... /t=52.html
rock66
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by rock66 »

Try Centurion transport in Perth.
gotohellgadafi
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by gotohellgadafi »

I've called just about every shipping/container company in Perth.
All are willing to do either the transport from Perth to Sydney or transport from South Hedland to Perth, but no one will provide the service of:

Supply a 20foot container to the guys address at South Hedland, allow a couple of hours to load the container with the car and parts, take the container to Perth, load it on rail and deliver to Sydney.

You'd think with the amount of people moving interstate, there would be that service, and ofcourse you'll pay for it. But atleast you'll only be dealing with ONE company rather than FOUR ?!
shane427
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shane427 »

Problem is most of the big trucking companies have dibs on either north-south routes for mining and gas, or east west interstate, often not both.
As rock said try Centurion who do north south to get it back to Perth in a 20 footer, with drop off to the rail terminal.
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

does the guy know how to pack a car into a container?

you don't want it getting home 2ft shorter than you last saw it. you would probably be better asking for a container to be dropped off one day and then picked up another day. same day drop off and pick up would be difficult to arrange.
Dreaming the dream... Living the reality...
gotohellgadafi
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by gotohellgadafi »

Arvo joke:

WE ALL KNOW HOW MUCH IT IS TO GET A CAR FROM THE STATES, BUT THIS IS WHAT IT COSTS TO GET ONE FROM ONE SIDE OF THE COUNTRY TO ANOTHER:

The cost of a secondhand container will be 2900 +GST

Delivery Perth to south Hedland 2900 +GST

FROM SOUTH HEDLAND TO PERTH 2500 +GST

PERTH TO SYDNEY RAIL 950 +GST

FROM SYDNEY RAIL TO SYDNEY METRO AREA 620+GST
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

You like doing things the easy way don't you Baz? That's about the distance from Brisbane to Melbourne: poke:
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

gotohellgadafi wrote:I've called just about every shipping/container company in Perth.
All are willing to do either the transport from Perth to Sydney or transport from South Hedland to Perth, but no one will provide the service of:

Supply a 20foot container to the guys address at South Hedland, allow a couple of hours to load the container with the car and parts, take the container to Perth, load it on rail and deliver to Sydney.

You'd think with the amount of people moving interstate, there would be that service, and ofcourse you'll pay for it. But atleast you'll only be dealing with ONE company rather than FOUR ?!
gotohellgadafi wrote:Arvo joke:

WE ALL KNOW HOW MUCH IT IS TO GET A CAR FROM THE STATES, BUT THIS IS WHAT IT COSTS TO GET ONE FROM ONE SIDE OF THE COUNTRY TO ANOTHER:

No offense but, ...... there are a couple of points you raised that show you do not know how things work.

You cannot load a container yourself. You have to be in the business of doing that task. Can you imagine the amount of unbalanced or incorrectly tied down loads running around if it was left to individuals?

Second is security, taking the car to a freight yard & they load it allows the freight forwarder know that the load is not dangerous.

Containers arrive on skels. How do you propose to get the car at least a meter off the ground & into a container? The only way for a ground drop off container is a tilt tray or crane lift. Also who pays for the empty truck to go back to base & return for pickup?

People moving interstate (or across the road) use a mover that arrives, packs everything & delivers same. That is usually for house hold goods, the cars being shipped or driven separate.

Why would you buy a container? What would you do with that once it arrives?

If the car is complete & can go on a truck, send it that way. If it has to go in a container, then get a tilt tray to take it to the closest freight depot for loading. You will have to do the opposite in Sydney.

It is not hard, maybe expensive, but not hard. That is something you add to the perceived cost of the car before buying.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

nassi wrote:Thats a bit harsh Tim, Its just a busy area and I sure you can find willing freighters looking for a backload to Perth. :like:
been up there lately nassi ? I'm with tim..... 8O
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

try karratha car carriers, does perth once a week has tilt trays looks like he does container removals too.... Pete 0427647255.
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Pinto-Pete wrote:
nassi wrote:Thats a bit harsh Tim, Its just a busy area and I sure you can find willing freighters looking for a backload to Perth. :like:
been up there lately nassi ? I'm with tim..... 8O
No, I must admit it has been a few years....... like 15.
gotohellgadafi
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by gotohellgadafi »

ozbilt wrote:
gotohellgadafi wrote:I've called just about every shipping/container company in Perth.

gotohellgadafi wrote:Arvo joke:

No offense but, ...... there are a couple of points you raised that show you do not know how things work.

You cannot load a container yourself. You have to be in the business of doing that task. Can you imagine the amount of unbalanced or incorrectly tied down loads running around if it was left to individuals?

Second is security, taking the car to a freight yard & they load it allows the freight forwarder know that the load is not dangerous.

Containers arrive on skels. How do you propose to get the car at least a meter off the ground & into a container? The only way for a ground drop off container is a tilt tray or crane lift. Also who pays for the empty truck to go back to base & return for pickup?

People moving interstate (or across the road) use a mover that arrives, packs everything & delivers same. That is usually for house hold goods, the cars being shipped or driven separate.

Why would you buy a container? What would you do with that once it arrives?

If the car is complete & can go on a truck, send it that way. If it has to go in a container, then get a tilt tray to take it to the closest freight depot for loading. You will have to do the opposite in Sydney.

It is not hard, maybe expensive, but not hard. That is something you add to the perceived cost of the car before buying.
Hi Kerry, no offense taken.
It's definitely not something I have ever done before, but my comments include quotes and information from shipping/container companies, not just my words, for example, here's the most recent one emailed to me:

1 x 20’ Shipping Container is placed on the ground at your place of residence for you to load.
On completion of loading we will return and relocate the container to your new address where once again it is placed onto the ground for you to unload.
On completion of unloading the container will be removed from your address and returned to our depot.

This is the other reason why I have posted on here to get the experts advise on this as some one on here may have done it before.

I'm just amazed that for quarter of the cost you can ship a car from the states, but it costs almost 10grand to get one from one side to the other of the same country, and yes I do realize how remote the area may be.
Thank you for your input though, always appreciated.