When do they calculate GST?????

Information on importing your car or parts

Moderator: Moderators

mjb0015
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

When do they calculate GST?????

Post by mjb0015 »

Hey everyone, been a while since last on the forums, got a question, when do they calculate the GST charges? is it when the car leaves port or when on the day the job is invoiced?

mjb
Hanging around... and around
ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Re: When do they calculate GST?????

Post by ponyride »

I think it's calculated when it arrives here, the exchange rate at that time which sucks if you have something arriving about now. :(
Rick.

Old things amuse all minds.
S[_]SPECT
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by S[_]SPECT »

It REALLY depends on the interpretation made by the person doing it..
However it is supposed to be calculated on the exchange rate @ time of export... which is commonly taken from the date of loading on the paper work..
Irrespective of exchange rate when it was bought, or when it lands.. it 'should' be calculated at this rate.. however, this is one of those 'how do you read this'.. things.
Cheers,
Birchy...
Dodgy Bros. Customs

Suspect 67 - http://www.mustangtech.com.au/Forums/vi ... /t=52.html
Pedro
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Pedro »

mjb0015 wrote:Hey everyone, been a while since last on the forums, got a question, when do they calculate the GST charges? is it when the car leaves port or when on the day the job is invoiced?

mjb

Its supposed to be on the day the ship leaves the port.
And don't forget that you pay GST on "what you paid" for the car in the USA. Canberra's asking for bill of sale.
mjb0015
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mjb0015 »

well the broker that is doing a car I am picking up in Adelaide is charging the GST rate when the car is invoiced by them, this is the first I have heard of this, I always believed is was calculated when the car leaves port!!!!! This is really crappy as the dollar rate was $1.08 to the US compared with now 92 frickin cents.....

mjb
Hanging around... and around
dalex
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by dalex »

You are supposed to pay GST on shipping and insurance as well.

I have a guide from Customs called “Guide to the importation of privately owned motor vehicles or motorcycles”. A couple of excerpts from this, Customs Duty does not apply for cars older than 30 years.

For Vehicles Purchased on or after 2 March 1998
Customs value is calculated in the following manner:
First, take your purchase price in the foreign currency and add to that the cost of any modification or improvement work done on the vehicle. Do not add the cost of routine maintenance or repairs for normal wear and tear.
Next, the purchase price is converted to Australian dollars using the official rate of exchange on the date of export of the vehicle from the place of export.

DETERMINING THE VALUE OF THE TAXABLE IMPORTATION (VoTI)
The VoTI is the sum of:
the customs value; and
the customs duty; and
the amount paid or payable:
- for the international transport of the vehicle; and
- to insure the vehicle for transport (to the extent that the amount is not included in the customs value).
“Middle Age - When you want to see how long your car will last instead of how fast it will go.” .. unknown