NSW Registration of imported vehicles

Information on importing your car or parts

Moderator: Moderators

Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: NSW Registration of imported vehicles

Post by Shaunp »

Astro was your car registered in NSW before? if so and you know the old number it will likely be ok, it had a 351 before, I think there is a rule in NSW that you as an owner can swap an engine to 15 % bigger without an inspection. I know up here once they have been on the road they normally just go though. It's pretty generic swap even if you need an inspection it won't be an issue.
Astro
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by Astro »

I am - that is if Shaun hasn't used my block in that effie :lol:

No it hadn't been registered in Oz

I'm sure the inspection will be fine - if I have to get a certificate I'm sure it will be sweet.

I have total confidence in your mechanical abilities ;)

Cheers

J
I love big birds - I cannot lie...
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

No the Effie is 460 big block, stroked to around 500.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

The 351 is a 22% increase though I would expect no issue getting it through with the cert. You will have the front disks which are essentially the same as later models with the 351 and the car is lighter. I would argue that you would need the torque boxes installed though I doubt rego would require them.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Astro, if your car is modified from standard in any way (larger engine, conversion or brake upgrades for example) it needs an engineers cert.

Contact Sean (BossKraft) if you have not got a decent guy up you way.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

boofhead wrote:The 351 is a 22% increase though I would expect no issue getting it through with the cert. You will have the front disks which are essentially the same as later models with the 351 and the car is lighter. I would argue that you would need the torque boxes installed though I doubt rego would require them.
I'm going to fit torque boxes to it Boof, will be fine, think it has Granda brakes so will to have John do some magic with them.
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

I am assuming that most of the guys out there with 347 or 363 in their cars just say they are a 302 for registration?
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

OK, time for a reality check.

You can fudge getting a car registered with or without an engineers sign off. Having a modified car on the road is no issue for any state rego dept UNTIL you have the accident. Still no big deal & you may or may not cop a fine.

Now the big drama is the insurance payout. If you have not disclosed the mods (say a 347 that you said was a 302, maybe a brake upgrade that is not signed off, body mods etc), now the insurance company has an "out" & will take it. You get sued by the other party even if you were in the "right" as they can prove you were not supposed to be on the road. If it is a death or permanent disability or just someone with a good legal team, you loose whatever property/assets you have & probably the stress wipes out any relationship you are in.

Worth it? I think not.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

I am 100% with ozbilt here.

:like:

xp: I would imaging the majority would do exactly that as the blocks are the same size (though a 363 can be identified easily by the block being after market). Strictly speaking both the 347 and the 363 are over the NSW threshold for increase engine size for a 65/66 mustang (289 largest engine) so both require an engineers report. In the case of a 67 and above the does not apply given the introduction of the 390 in 67. Having said that it is safe to say most people do not build a factory stock engine (just with the larger capacity internals) so the size rule is mute as the an over riding rule covers requirements if a significant increase in HP is present. Engine size does not play a part. So a 66 200hp engine now rated to 450hp would technically require an engineers certificate. It is not hard to get 400hp out of a 302. Just throwing in a factory EFI mustang HO engine with a 300hp rating would be a 50% or more increase from factory stock hence would arguably need an engineers certificate.

Do most people have one specific to engine? Not unless they have other items listed - even then I would assume not likely. Its a risk most owners take (especially early car owners).
I will someday think of something clever to say.
Hawko
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Hawko »

The 347 in a 65 nearly makes it. Only out by 0.2.
However I'm sure that the hp would be greater than the 20% from original so therefore needs certification.
chopmgw
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by chopmgw »

Am I the only one who thinks these big engines in these cruisers is overkill ?
Whats wrong with the good old 302 ?
Got more than enough power for a bit of spirited driving.
Its not like u can use the big engine around the burbs.
Not with the radars and cameras about nowdays.
Nothing against fast cars but a 40 year old steering and brake design is not the best platform for high speed either.
I smell oranges !

Michael
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

chopmgw wrote:Am I the only one who thinks these big engines in these cruisers is overkill ?
Nothing against fast cars but a 40 year old steering and brake design is not the best platform for high speed either.
Nah! im with you, im not interested in a worked motor, just a cruiser for me.
Astro
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by Astro »

Shaunp wrote:
boofhead wrote:The 351 is a 22% increase though I would expect no issue getting it through with the cert. You will have the front disks which are essentially the same as later models with the 351 and the car is lighter. I would argue that you would need the torque boxes installed though I doubt rego would require them.
I'm going to fit torque boxes to it Boof, will be fine, think it has Granda brakes so will to have John do some magic with them.
Yep - I've got the torque boxes for it.

Kerry - agree with you 100%
I'll have a fair amount invested in this by the time we're done and if it costs a bit more to get it certified then it's worth it.

Cheers

J
I love big birds - I cannot lie...
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

chopmgw wrote:Am I the only one who thinks these big engines in these cruisers is overkill ?
+1, I'm all too happy with a cruiser these days. If you want something really fast then go and buy any newish car and take it to the track, it will generally be faster than you rodded or hotted up Mustang, handle better and cost a lot less to get to that point.
BUT if you have a different opinion........... I guess your not old like me :lol:
Just be realistic about what you want from the car, too many of us get caught up in the numbers wank and probably are not sure how these numbers stack up in the real world. Bigger is not always better IMO.
Probably had too many of these :drink:
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

So how hard is it to get an engineers certificate for a 363 in an early stang and what should it cost?
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"