NSW Registration of imported vehicles

Information on importing your car or parts

Moderator: Moderators

robsilveri
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

NSW Registration of imported vehicles

Post by robsilveri »

Apologies first if this has already been covered, I tried searching the forum but could not find anything.

It seems VIS 4 (Vehicle Standards Information No.4) issued by the NSW RTA for Registration of Imported Vehicles has changed back on May 24th 2011.

Big change which has been pointed out to me is now you require an engineers certificate to register your pre-1989 import regardless of whether it is modified or not.
:rtfm:
Thankfully my Mach 1 was imported and registered back in Feb 2011 but I have a friend looking at an additional bill of about $800 to get his bog standard 65 Impala "engineered".

Check out section B and the table at the back - requirements for rego.
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... y_2011.pdf

Apologies if this is common knowledge
1969 Mustang Mach 1
351-4V, 4-Speed
Candy Apple Red
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: NSW Registration of imported vehicles

Post by boofhead »

That is basically what is required in QLD as we need to have the lights and Australian ADR seats belts for all seats and also add baby restraints. The engineer needs to make sure this is all done and completed correctly. The engineer will provide the paperwork and a modification plate for the car.

It is not the end as you also need to get the safety road worthy certificate. Overall, I would rather it this way than have the SA regulations (as my LHD mustang would not by-any-means pass their requirements).
I will someday think of something clever to say.
robsilveri
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by robsilveri »

I found a copy of the old VSI 4 which this new one has replaced. (link below). There is an obvious difference to section B and the table at the end indicating the requirements for registration.
http://journal.mtansw.com.au/10/oct/fil ... pt2010.pdf
1969 Mustang Mach 1
351-4V, 4-Speed
Candy Apple Red
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Ok I have read both copies and as is the case it is up to someone interpretation so my option means squat. Having said that

1) You loose the requirement of having to have Kph speedo - which is good.

2) You must have the engineering inspection - which in my view you needed anyway as you still require seat belts in all positions.

Appears fair enough to me and a not an issue. Its almost the same as QLD - you don't have the need for child restraints which again would require an engineering to approve the mounting points.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Just off the phone to my rego guy (ex RTA inspector that now has his own shop). Nothing has changed.

Anything built prior to 71 when ADR's came in you do not need an engineers report unless it is modified (conversion, engine mods brakes etc).

So to clarify, all standard left hand drive cars built before 71 do not need an engineers report in NSW.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

The doc seems to refer to cars back as far as 65 with respect to having lap/sash in the front kerry, maybe they are just not policing it.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Shaunp wrote:The doc seems to refer to cars back as far as 65 with respect to having lap/sash in the front kerry, maybe they are just not policing it.
Seat belts prior to 71 are the rego inspectors issue, not an engineer (unless it is a modification). We use a guy that is used to looking at classic cars.

His words were "STANDARD cars BEFORE 1971 (when ADRs were introduced) are not subject to engineer reports"
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
S[_]SPECT
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by S[_]SPECT »

In WA, 69 seems to be the magic number..
Later cars needing an engineer cert even for seat belts.. go figure.
Cheers,
Birchy...
Dodgy Bros. Customs

Suspect 67 - http://www.mustangtech.com.au/Forums/vi ... /t=52.html
robsilveri
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by robsilveri »

When reading these documents, for most of us in NSW, section B applies for the pre-1989 scheme cars, unless it is a Personal Import (car must be owned overseas for at least 12 months) then Section A.

Under Section B, page 5, third paragraph says;

"An engineering certificate issued by a person registered as an engineering signatory on the RTA’s Engineering Certificate System is required, certifying that the vehicle meets the vehicle standards (including ADRs where necessary) and requirements of the Regulation and, if applicable, covers a left-hand drive to right-hand drive steering conversion".

But then, to contradict somewhat, under "Documents required for registration" page 8

"An engineering certificate if the vehicle has been modified, or if the AUVIS/HVAIS examiner has determined that one is required, or if the vehicle is a bus that has been privately imported and is intended for business use".

This could be the saving clause but will depend on who you get to do your blue slip. Get the wrong inspector and he might just tell you to get an enginnering cert.

To confuse matters further refer to the table on page 8, "Summary of requirements...."
Looking at "Pre '89 vehicles" it has a tick under "Engineering certificate". And the tick has no exception, that is, no number next to it referring to footnotes below. Now, given the statement above "...if the vehicle has been modified or if the AUVIS/HVAIS examiner has determined that one is required..." I would expect an exception next to the tick, but it's not there which may indicate there is no exception on the requirement for an Engineering Certificate for a pre-1989 vehicle?

IMO this document is unclear and somewhat contradictory.

My friend is aiming to get his Impala registered later this week or early next week. He is going to an inspector who handles old cars who has told him he doesnt need and engineering certificate, so we are hopeful. The moment of truth will be when he presents all his documents to the RTA......I'll let you know what happens.
1969 Mustang Mach 1
351-4V, 4-Speed
Candy Apple Red
Bumblebee
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Bumblebee »

I had the Cali Special imported from the US to Sydney for rego around may and registered around June and never needed an engineers certificate.
Cheers Bee

Image Image ImageImageImageImage
robsilveri
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by robsilveri »

UPDATE - my friend's Impala got rego yesterday....without Engineers Cert....it seems the Inspector decides if it is needed or not. He did use a guy who inspects old stuff all the time so that probably helped.

So it would appear the wording;
"An engineering certificate if the vehicle has been modified, or if the AUVIS/HVAIS examiner has determined that one is required..." has applied in this case. Lets hope it stays that way and stock cars remain exempt....although VSI4 is somewhat contradictory.
1969 Mustang Mach 1
351-4V, 4-Speed
Candy Apple Red
bages
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by bages »

good news :)
Bosskraft
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Bosskraft »

I can assure you that the guy that does my blue slips (who is the same guy ozbilt refers to) would not be letting things slide by without policing it. The RTA ride these guys like horses, policing them like the Highway Patrol. He runs a sensible, but tight ship. Good bloke.
Sean McDonagh
www.bosskraft.com
MCA Gold Card Judge
Astro
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by Astro »

ozbilt wrote:Just off the phone to my rego guy (ex RTA inspector that now has his own shop). Nothing has changed.

Anything built prior to 71 when ADR's came in you do not need an engineers report unless it is modified (conversion, engine mods brakes etc).

So to clarify, all standard left hand drive cars built before 71 do not need an engineers report in NSW.
I understand that the rules surrounding registration of modified cars has changed again in NSW.

I'm just trying to make sure that the plans I have for my build don't end up in tears at rego time.

Is it still the case that pre 1971 cars don't require an engineers report?

Cheers
John
I love big birds - I cannot lie...
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

I assume your still going down the 351 Windsor route so I would expect (though your likely not to be noticed) that an engineers certificate would be necessary since the car was available only with a 289 from the factory.