Information on importing your car or parts

Moderator: Moderators

GMG
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Parts for a 65 Coupe

Post by GMG »

Hi all,

New to the forum, and hoping to shortly join the ranks of Mustang owners. I have paperwork submitted for Import approval and am hoping to get the green light any day now. The Mustang in question is a 65 Wimbledon White coupe in excellent condition that I have inspected and driven in the USA.

My plans are to have the mustang as my every day car and so onto my questions for the knowledgeable folks of the forum.

1. Are there any particular parts I should purchase in the US to have them shipped with the car? (Due to cost or availability)

2. I am currently considering upgrading/changing/improving the following:

Brakes (has drums)
Suspension (currently standard)
Steering (manual-power)
Air con (none)
Seating (thinking flo fit)
Centre console (none atm).

Any recommendations for kits for the above or solutions that others have used/purchased?

3. What other parts or aspects are recommended to update or have problems and I should be aware of?

I expect over time to replace/repair or otherwise improve all the non cosmetic parts to make sure my mustang is in the best condition, just looking for advice to avoid the common mistakes made.

Regards

GMG

PS. Photo Attached
My Ride is White Noise
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Parts for a 65 Coupe

Post by Nuts »

Is it a 6 (T code) or V8? This makes a heap of dufference to the suggestions we can give you. And welcome to The Forum GMG, lots of friendlies here..
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

Welcome GMG,nice looking car,lot's of knowledge available here and blokes only to happy to share it........
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

The main bit I would get from over there is a kit for the air con to ship with the car. Depends on how much you want to spend in one hit on parts I suppose. There is some very good parts vendors in Australia as well, so it would be only big ticket items I would bother with personaly.

As Nuts said T code or one of the various V8 codes will make a difference to a lot of the parts you will need.

Dont rely on what engine is actually fitted, you need to check the vin number. It will read something like this

5F07C123456

The first digit 5 means its a 1965 model

The F means it was built in Dearborn MI, it could also be T for Metuchen NJ or R for San Jose CA.

The 07 means its a hardtop, which yours will be looking at the pic 08 is a Convertible & 09 is a Fastback.

The next letter is the engine code, if it is a V its is a 170 6cyl
T is a 200 6 cyl
F is a 260 V8
C is a 289 2V V8
D is a 289 4V V8 (also means its a 64.5 car)
A is a later 65 289 4V V8
K is a 289 Hipo V8.
The next 6 numbers are the vehicle specific ID number.
Basicly a V or a T code is less desirable unless you want a 6 banger, in which case it is collectable as they werent as common. A C code car is your garden variety V8 & the most common. Your D & A code are a bit more desirable & rare & the K code is the holy grail in a coupe. The V8 codes only really matter on a car that has most of its original parts, once you modify them the engine code doesnt really matter that much. On a 6 banger it is important as the drivetrain & brakes etc are not interchangable without changing pretty much all of it.
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

For 1966 some engine codes (V,F & D) arent available but the other codes are the same. The first number always designates the model year so a 1966 car would start with a 6.

From 67 the body codes changed to 01 for a Coupe 02 for a Fastback & 03 for a Vert. Also more engines are added & subtracted over the years.
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

Sweet ride man! Welcome.

I'd also (agree with Steve about the A/C kit) look at getting the centre console , some how purchased & thrown in the trunk ,to save a good quid.
CJ Pony parts over in US is really well priced on most gear. A few here use them & like the service/parts etc etc.
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
GMG
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by GMG »

Thanks guys, I will check into the Code but not sure it will help as it was a 6cyl thats had the 289 v8 transplanted, but I can definitely do some research as to its Vin and what other bits and pieces have been changed.

I will look into the AC and the centre console as a start point.

Looking forward to more recommendations!

Regards

GMG
My Ride is White Noise
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Does it have 4 or five stud wheels all around? This will determine if you have a 6 cyl or V8 suspension system.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Seems like we will need another Duggo BBQ to get all the new people out here for "The Talk"..... :poke:
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
IGALOP
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by IGALOP »

Ahh, GMG, another nice Wimbledon white pony is about to be unleashed..................bliss.
Selling the Mustang story to all those who will listen!
There are many listening in Gippsland.
MustangMedic
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by MustangMedic »

Welcome, GMG,
Yeah, ya gotta love them white ones...
Cheers,
Medic
Cheers.
Medic
(Always work smarter not harder!!!)
67 C Code coupe
Gus
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by Gus »

Hi GMG,
we distribute Street or Track Mustang performance Brake and Suspension products in Aus. if you have time and some spare cash on your side you may be able to save shipping costs and load your boot up. Check out our range of gear at www.64enterprises.com, or www.streetortrack.com. Regards Paul
GMG
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by GMG »

@Nuts: It has been converted to 5 stud, and I know there has been some minor changes to the suspension, partly to remove the pony tail sag.

@Gus: Thanks will check out the website.

At this stage I am still waiting for paperwork to be completed, once its here in Aus I look forward to catching up with everyone.

Regards

GMG
My Ride is White Noise
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Suspension improvements read here first....

http://www.mustangtech.com.au/Content/p ... cid=4.html

All in the "Tech Shop" listed on the right hand side of this page.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
GMG
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by GMG »

Oz: thanks for that, I took a look at each post.

General question what are the limits rim/tyre size for a 65? Not looking for anything bling or huge, just considering what brake package to put on.

Regards

GMG
My Ride is White Noise