Nicks 68 Fastback Restomod

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Nick68
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Nicks 68 Fastback Restomod

Post by Nick68 »

Hi guys. I have started a new project and I thought I would share it with the forum. I have a 68 fastback that I am doing a restomod on.

The vision is to build a very nice car with a very modern drive train. It will be converted to RHD and use a the RRS conversion and suspension. I want to use a completely modern drive train. A 5.0 coyote crate engine is my first choice - however here are a lot of fitment hurdles to overcome, I may make some compromises and use a local 5.4 XR8 motor.

The plan is to fit all the mode cons, air / steer / power windows / key less entry / central locking etc...

When I originally purchased the car the plan was to do an eleanor style car, however I still keep flip flopping to do more of a gt500 style hybrid. The plans change in this area almost daily, but I will need to make a final decission real soon.

The plan is that I will do the deconstruction (as sen in the photos) and then hopefully in the next week or two hand it over to Steve and St Mary's prestige to put in a full floor and install the RHD panel. Once the chassis is in good order - I am going to have a go at the body work, modifications and mock up myself. Once this is complete I will return it to Steve for paint. I will then do final assemble myself.

I thought the floor was in good condition when I bought it - but on close inspection it was far from OK - and the plan is to replace the whole unit on the car-o-liner. It would appear that the floor was repaired in the US at sometime, and rather than actually cut the rust out - they just welded in new floor pans and leave the semi rusted ones in there :argh: . The upshot is it is not upto standard on the underside - so with the help of steve we will make it right.

I have my budget arranged and have met with the engineer and got the OK's on all the fine details.

I will keep posting updates as they come in. In the fullness of time I think I will have lots of questions for you guys so I hope you can help.

Nick
Last edited by Nick68 on Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Nicks 68 Fastback Restomod

Post by cage »

Welcome aboard Nick. Your in good hands mate, Steve does very nice work.
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
Nick68
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Nick68 »

I thought I would include some photos of the problem areas of the car.

Left Rear chassis rail

Underside of transition / shock mount

Nick
Last edited by Nick68 on Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick68
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Nick68 »

cage wrote:Welcome aboard Nick. Your in good hands mate, Steve does very nice work.
Thanks - I have been following your project with interest. I beleive your car was in the work shop when I went around to discuss the project with him a few months ago.
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Nick68 wrote:
cage wrote:Welcome aboard Nick. Your in good hands mate, Steve does very nice work.
Thanks - I have been following your project with interest. I beleive your car was in the work shop when I went around to discuss the project with him a few months ago.
Correct. It has been there for a long time as it was a serious basket case but it is all good now. Looking forward to seeing yours over there. Steve was just telling me he wasn't taking anymore work on for a while but I guess he can't help himself.
mwizz
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by mwizz »

Looking good Nick, keep the pics coming
jusTANG
PatCH the Platypus
PatCH the Platypus

Post by jusTANG »

Right..... it all makes sense now, I have seen your floor pan, actually man handled your new floor pan. :thumbs:
I wondered what helleanor was up to then we all thought cage had changed his mind yet again..... :poke:
Cheers,
j
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

cage wrote:
Nick68 wrote:
Correct. It has been there for a long time as it was a serious basket case but it is all good now. Looking forward to seeing yours over there. Steve was just telling me he wasn't taking anymore work on for a while but I guess he can't help himself.
loooks good Nick im excited to see how you go with it.. i too only just this week have done a 180deg about my "eleanor" kit plan .. i saw some first hand mustangs today out your way actually and in person they have soo much more character even stock body and was surprised how a 302 worked engine sounded beastly .. so its change my perception of "whats required" now .. but still in process in my head .. :D

id love to give painting a go myself to see how i go after i got someone to make sure all the body was straight etc.. i cant remember whos project but someone ended up rubbing back many times haha to get it right etc.. but thats part of the fun and learning.

ahhh cage .. famous cage.. i was chatting to my friend about my 'stang project and he was telling me his brother (or brother in law) does paint panel out at st marys .. and i quirked an eyebrow .. and he goes "yeah they fixing up this red and white mustang and it looks a beast" and i quirked again .. i said is his name "steve" he said it was {insert name here cause now i cant remember .. tony? maybe?.. young guy i think in his 30s maybe.. anyway we finally realised we are talking about the same place haha and same car.. was very funny how its such a small world! My friends like "ill have a chat to him to about your project" but i mentioned how steve said he alot on his plate and id be looking around feb next year .. but just the same i mentioned how ive been chatting to them on this forum and to yourself .. hehe small world
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Looks like a nice project, and best of all you have a plan :) , now for the hard part... can you stick to it :-D
cheers
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

Probable a good idea to get the whole car soda blasted, that way you will see more clearly the rust issues.
You are lucky you can get panels for the RHD conversion, I wish they had them for the 65/66 :argh:
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

unilec5544 wrote:Probable a good idea to get the whole car soda blasted, that way you will see more clearly the rust issues.
You are lucky you can get panels for the RHD conversion, I wish they had them for the 65/66 :argh:
Please, no soda, that stuff is bad with a capital B.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

ozbilt wrote:
unilec5544 wrote:Probable a good idea to get the whole car soda blasted, that way you will see more clearly the rust issues.
why ?
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
Dynamic
Living the Mustang Dream
Living the Mustang Dream

Post by Dynamic »

Pinto-Pete wrote:
ozbilt wrote:
why ?
isn't it the same as sand? can never remove all the contents and will absorb water over time leaving you with rust? under the paint etc
Pete
Mustang Project:
http://dynamicstang.blogspot.com
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

jusTANG wrote:Right..... it all makes sense now, I have seen your floor pan, actually man handled your new floor pan. :thumbs:
I wondered what helleanor was up to then we all thought cage had changed his mind yet again..... :poke:
Very funny justang. You got me. :rotfl:
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

nassi wrote: , now for the hard part... can you stick to it :-D
cheers
Impossible if you ask me. But that is half the fun :argh: :argh: :argh: