no cruise for you tomoz jacko?
Cheers,
j
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: All locked up

Post by Ausjacko »

OK, pick the clutch and flywheel up tomorrow. Dropped into Captial Classics through the week and picked up one set of uni joints and the other set from somewhere else- for the grey car.
If anyone is interested.
For the '68 I have 1310 series RUJ-2039 and K5-13xr
For the 67 it was they are 1330 series Precision uni joints numbered 434 and 433.

I feel another sandwich session (between the concrete and the underneath of the car) coming up.
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Ausjacko wrote:
I feel another sandwich session (between the concrete and the underneath of the car) coming up.
You need a hoist! I know where you can get one!! :poke:
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

Well another interesting weekend under the car. Saturday afternoon was a wash-out and the fog only cleared around 11.30am today. But, the flywheel, clutch and gearbox are back on/in.

With the old clutch removed the flywheel was revealed. Fortunately, the bolt did not cause any damage to the teeth or the face of the flywheel proper.

Anticipating that this was going to be a battle I thought I would make it easier and bought a cheapie clutch aligning tool off Evil bay. For $20 can’t go wrong.

Picked the clutch and flywheel up on Friday along with a new set of ARP bolts. The kit from Extreme is KFD26002 for a Ford Falcon XR to XB. The old pressure plate had signs of wear on one half of the first row of rivets. In other words, the hole in the middle of the flywheel was not quite big enough to accommodate the friction plate. We had 3mm machined out of the middle of the flywheel and now the friction plate is a nice snug fit.

While the weather held on Saturday I had time to install the flywheel

Used the clutch aligning tool to fit the friction plate and clutch. I must admit a third hand would have been handy (sorry about that) to hold the clutch, the tool and find that first bolt hole. And yes, I used thread locker and ARP bolts. After the first bolt it was pretty straight forward.

Sunday, foggy Sunday.
Test fitted the bellhousing to the gearbox (so I used the correct bolts in the correct holes) and that’s when I noticed that two of the holes in the bellhousing- holding the gearbox on no less- looked to be ‘threaded’. Well not actually threaded, but the first few mm of the bolt just dropped straight through before finding the thread. ‘Oh heavens’ I said, then remembered the internal hex bolt in one of the suspect holes.
Now, to cut the puzzle short, I think what has happened is the PO has used two bolts in the wrong holes and then realised their mistake; unfortunately a bit late. The two longer bolts had no thread for about 15mm under the head and when inserted into the bellhousing and wound real tight, this virgin part of the bolt has ‘expanded’ the thread in the aluminium housing - that’s what we call a bad thing. Not to worry as I still had two good holes and the proper bolts for now. Through next week I will go a buy two new grade 8 bolts for the job.

My father came around and drove the jack while I man handled this heavy sucker of a gearbox through the thrust bearing and into the friction plate. Fortunately, I had moved the gearbox into gear and inserted the yoke so I could rotate the input shaft. After a surprisingly short time jiggling –the gearbox not me- the sucker slid straight in- gotta love a clutch alignment tool.
And here is the box back in.

Through the week I will buy the two bolts, install the starter- again- and install the two new uni joints and then she will be as good as gold. Until July 2012.
'68 J-code GT Fastback
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Well done mate and a nice writeup
cheers
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

About Bloody time!
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

Nuts, I can control lots of things but not the rain, fog and the 'yeah mate, this one should fit' retailers. I could have left it in the carport I guess and lugged the tools up the bloody drive - nah, forget that idea.

BTW, Canberra Brake and Clutch in Molonglo Mall were really helpful. I actually went and grabbed a couple of tube nuts from them on their first day of trading a few years back so good to see them still around. The guy there used to work for Molonglo Brake and Clutch before it was sold. He decided to go out on his own and the original owenrs of MBC are helping him. Good partnership by the looks of things.
'68 J-code GT Fastback
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Jacko, you're just not adventurous these days.. :shrug:
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

She lives!!!
Right, after a bit of a diversion with the yoke-read had to purchase a newie on EB- old red lives again!
While bits were apart I took the opportunity to change the plugs. After checking leads (I am a point anal on that score) she fired up just like the morning four weeks ago. Clutch is a lot easier and you can really feel the ‘pop’ of the diaphragm releasing.
Now, back to that other car…
'68 J-code GT Fastback
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

About bloody time! :thumbs: Back to the other car I mean!!
MustangMedic
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by MustangMedic »

Yeh, yeh, I'm keen like everybody else, for the next chapter of that car....
Cheers.
Medic
(Always work smarter not harder!!!)
67 C Code coupe
6T9rustang
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by 6T9rustang »

Ausjacko wrote:She lives!!!
Right, after a bit of a diversion with the yoke-read had to purchase a newie on EB- old red lives again!
While bits were apart I took the opportunity to change the plugs. After checking leads (I am a point anal on that score) she fired up just like the morning four weeks ago. Clutch is a lot easier and you can really feel the ‘pop’ of the diaphragm releasing.
Now, back to that other car…
Good to hear mate. hows the vibration probs you had? all gone i'll bet!
mmmm....mustangs.....
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

Hi Rusty
Car is silky smooth. As I mentioned to a few, I think the clutch was on the way out since I had it. I put it down to my unco changes and a clutch pedal that saw my left leg double in size with the work-out that was top-start traffic.

All good now, and with Medic's help yesterday, I/we found the source of my stutter around 60-70mph- the vacuum can arm was not on the distributor plate properly (the circlip had come off). In other wrods she was not advancing as smooth as she should.
New leads and a bit of rebending of the arm and she is smooth as must be Medics 'guard side' manner.
Jacko
'68 J-code GT Fastback
MustangMedic
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by MustangMedic »

Hey Ian,
you should become a novelist, you have such a way with words. You need to be careful though, I rekon some bloke will turn for you one day..
Medic
Cheers.
Medic
(Always work smarter not harder!!!)
67 C Code coupe
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

I'm a bit worried about you two sharing a garage! :poke: