Scarlet

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Scarlet

Post by gbx78 »

elec vac pump installed to assist with low vac at idle and it works fantastic. I meant to do a write up but its been soo frkn hot and spending time rehearsing, i was more keen to just install and test it.

Hella elec vac pump as used on modern cars. This thing sucks .. and in a good way!.. its quick and its dead quiet compared to the diaphragm style pumps which arent worth their weight in gold (they are heavy clunky and noisey).

Not a difficult setup - pump, vac canister (was going to use this initially without pump but got carried away) hose, pump mounting, wiring, adjustable vac switch from element14 and check valves. The only pic i have is the location of my vac gauge:

geeez this thing is quick to build up vac. I do have the higher model pump though (UP30 used primarily for brake vac and accessories, UP28 is just a top-up pump for assistance but could be used the same in this application).

Shout out to Charlie (Baer rep for Australia on this forum) who supplied me the pump.

Shout out to Kerry for designing and building the bracket to be mounted where i wanted on the front fender bolts hanging down shielded by the front FGlass from the elements. It works soooo well.

Meth kit installed. Just need to test for leaks and ground the pump and solenoid however have tested the controller and works well when activated.

Ill have to get some pics of the engine bay side but here is the reservoir in the boot. sits nicely. Using a zip-tie for added security where there was no mounting point. Its bolted on the other side.

Because of this ive added some LEDs on the dash cluster. Meth injection activated (brighter than normal Blue), Meth low (red).. and while i was running wiring from boot to front ive added LEDs for fuel pumps. After breaking down on the M5 due to a melted fuse holder, this is extra troubleshooting (from a power perspective) to know if there is power to the pumps. Works really well. The Meth activation light worked well too on the cruise the other night.

Im using the "Brakes" window for the elec vac pump so i can see when its in use and give me an indication if there is a problem or leak and pump is always ON or not working for that matter, wiring was already there so just utilised it (need to hook that one up on the engine bay side

'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid

'You can never have too many gauges' -
Boofhead
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Nice work mate. Meth addiction is spreading quickly on this forum.
What meth controller are you using? Mine doesn't have an output for a meth low trigger. I'm thinking about adding manual switch so I can turn the meth tune off when I see the meth is low(if I don't have any in the boot that is).
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

Husky65 wrote:Nice work mate. Meth addiction is spreading quickly on this forum.
What meth controller are you using? Mine doesn't have an output for a meth low trigger. I'm thinking about adding manual switch so I can turn the meth tune off when I see the meth is low(if I don't have any in the boot that is).
The meth low is just an independent sensor in the resoivour connected to an LED and 12v ign (triggered on gnd). Your kit will have that if it came with a resoivour. .well assuming. If not im sure ebay will have one and just pop it in the side.

Boofhead
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Yeah I have the float, it is connected to my controller(which is the gauge). I thought it was a variable resistance float like a fuel tank float. I guess not.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I got mine from RS Components. Horizontal float switch.
"Cynergy3" is the brand.

But yes.. low level indication only.

What are you doing with regards to tune safety Husky? George and I discussed this last night.

I use a pressure switch in my meth line so I know (as much as possible) that I have meth delivery. I use that switch to switch to aggressive tables in the ECU.
If there's no meth, the tune stays conservative.

IMO if you are using your meth to push your tune (it's a waste of time if you don't really), then you really need some kind of safety in your tune. Otherwise if meth goes missing, your pistons might too.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

So I wired up the Haltech with a switched meth input.
I will now wire up the low level light to that input. I was also going to get the snow performance safe injection, which measures flow/pressure and then sends a 12v signal if the adjustable parameters are met.

So that way with low level and also with flow/pressure problems the Haltech will go back to a safer tune.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I wouldn't turn it off with low level personally, although I guess it depends what they consider "low".
If it's sending a signal when parameters are met, that should be enough.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

hybrid wrote:I wouldn't turn it off with low level personally, although I guess it depends what they consider "low".
If it's sending a signal when parameters are met, that should be enough.
Yeah you have a point. My switch will hit low with about 300ml left I reckon. I have a small 5l container I will keep in the boot anyway.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

My tank is vertically low and horizontally longer.
When my meth is getting low, the sloshing around causes the switch to toggle on/off, so it would be bad to attach any ECU switching to it. I just light an LED... still annoying seeing it go on and off though.

Probably wouldn't be an issue with the proper meth kit tanks as they seem to be deeper than wider.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Yeah I have the same issue. Long tank and low height, couldn't fit the supplied one in.

How quick are you going through your meth?
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Probably topping it up every few weeks or so. My tank is in the engine bay though - I think I lose most of it through evap.

I just bought a delay-on timer I will put in the dash.
I will set it up so that the switch has to be active for a couple of seconds before it will switch the LED on.
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

Yeah thats why i mounted mine facing the way it is so the float doesnt move with forward motion/acceleration. . Would still bounce around but not alot as the float is quite thick. But will see how it goes.

Boofhead
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Where did you mount your pump with the tank in the boot?
Last edited by Husky65 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

Husky65 wrote:Where did you mount your pump with the tank in the boot?
It was going to be.. but no room really and I wanted to keep least amount of joins inside the car. Its under the hood hinge in that angled area..fits.. like. .a glove. Forgot to upload a pic

Last edited by gbx78 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Boofhead
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

I thought the pump had to be gravity fed? Gee I should have put mine in the boot too