Scarlet

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Scarlet

Post by gbx78 »

:dance2:

Hi all

Ok.. complete mustang noob .. but always wanted a 67 fastback and took the plunge and got me a project car.. it aint pretty to look at but its got some bonus's. I havent received in my posession yet its still on its way.. i have some pics but ill need to scan them in .. the only electronic one i have is of the engine bay. the engine is a late model roller cam 5l engine with AOD tranny. Has as brushed aluminium dash. I "was" going to restore it as RHD but then i found out this has power Rack and Pinion steering .. so that decision has been made for me for now .. ill keep it LHD.. the new dash is lhd and steering etc is lhd so why spend money on something thats already done and new.. right? i aint rich and dont have alot of money (actually borrowed money to get this far but i dont care.. only live life once) ..

ok soo .. it has original floors which are rust free and as good as new.. californian car C code ( i wanted a big block S code but nevermind .. fastbacks in decent condition where it counts are getting harder to find). undercarriage is detailed (not show quality but neat and clean). Glass is all good. cant remember if its 8" or 9" .. im leaning twards 8" but not really an issue at this stage.. .. umm new dual exhaust.

i first thought to go all out and restore exactly how i wanted .. but ill blow my budget .. instead knowing what things it already has .. ill just use (like engine and tranny, lhd steering etc.. etc..) and later even after the full restore i can always change the running gear IF need be.. until then why waste money..

Body is patchy and looks like a grandmothers knitted patch quilt (all different colors) .. but at least they are strong and not rusted out. Once i get it blasted to baremetal and etch primed ill know really what im up for .. but even soo .. if there is anything really bad like a panel needing to be replaced .. it will be replaced free for me.

Ummm no carpet, no roofliner.. which i woulda replaced new anyway

Ive stopped worrying about what it now looks like as the base is solid.. if it was restored and i paid more for it .. it would be a waste because i would have stripped it down anyway and replaced interior and engine etc.. and repainted the color, how i wanted.

Ok so the plan .. now dont cringe, dont thro tomatoes at me, but i intend on putting the eleanor body kit on there because well i think it really really compliments the fastback shape.. it fills it out and gives it an aggressive look.. as does the shelby kit but a little different. I dont intend on doing a replica eleanor persay .. the only thing that will be similar is the body kit .. the color etc will be different.. and well everything else standard.. back interior (new front seats more modern bucket ones for comfort not racing).. the rest just new standard stuff..

now as i type this .. i read a post on here that to register a car in adelaide i think LHD etc.. has to be "stock!" .. i hope thats not the same in NSW.. otherwise id be wasting my money

does anyone know about NSW etc.?? ive seen heaps of mustangs done up and a few with body kits etc.. and they sure as hell didnt come from factory like that.. so it must be ok ..

but ive been reading the mustang workshop manual (67 and 68) pdfs... which have been very helpful. Alot of it is standard mechanical stuff u see on falcons etc.. but i was more interested in how the dash, interior and wiring is removed and installed.

not much but heres an engine bay pic:
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: 67 fastback noob x100

Post by gbx78 »

i took a photo with my phone OF the printed photo haha .. i wont get time to scan so this will doo .. sorry about the lighting but you get the point. I think bad lighting makes it look not so bad hahaha

so here is the interior

here is the outside.. the front i missed off the front is basically like the door. my friend who found the car for me tells me that the rear quarters are original and very solid.
Last edited by gbx78 on Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

is it lame if i get a kick out of saying "so yeah i have a 67 fastback" hahaha i feel like a kid again. its exciting!
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

cool ! so is it in the US or here in Oz? XD
mwizz
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by mwizz »

Welcome to the forum and keep us informed as the project progresses. Lots of pics.
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

its not lame mate, you own a Mustang!

Congrats! pretty sure it'll be fine in NSW.

you can get basic restoration guides from most mustang places. you will find out they are pretty easy cars to pull apart. its remembering where things go back when the time comes that is the hardest part!

i'm not up to that yet on my project... Welcome to the club!

Cheers from WA
Dreaming the dream... Living the reality...
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

As you (gbx78) are in Sydney, talk to me or Steve (soc123_au) about the Eleanor conversion. To say we have "experience" would be a slight understatement.... :poke: :rotfl:

No folks, :f: I am not about to talk him out of it, but both of us could help avoid some pitfalls.....
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

ozbilt and steve are definately the guys to talk to about body work.

if you want to see some of ozbilts magic, look for a thread for a car named "Q"

Cheers
Dreaming the dream... Living the reality...
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Gbx78 you have something that most non mustang owners can only dream about. Enjoy the ride Buddy!
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
MustangMedic
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by MustangMedic »

67's are good cars enjoy your experience, got questions then ask, every day is a school day and this is a good place to learn it from.
Cheers.
Medic
(Always work smarter not harder!!!)
67 C Code coupe
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

Thanks guys. !!
'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid

'You can never have too many gauges' -
Boofhead
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

Doing an Eleanor type build is a great way to tear up the cash. I have done a list up of what needs doing & rough pricing. It is on a forum somewhere, I will see if I can find it & repost here.

Its best to have a realistic idea of what it will cost before you head down that path. No point getting part way through & changing tack.

If you have the means to go that way then it is a worthwile way to go.
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

ozbilt wrote:As you (gbx78) are in Sydney, talk to me or Steve (soc123_au) about the Eleanor conversion. To say we have "experience" would be a slight understatement.... :poke: :rotfl:

No folks, :f: I am not about to talk him out of it, but both of us could help avoid some pitfalls.....
Thanks mate, i hve a friend who gets the kits replicated (from the kit he had on his own) by a fibreglass guy in QLD. Apparently they fit well and doeant take too much labour or adjusting to get them right. He also has a guy he knows somewhere north of parramatta that just restores body/paint of mustangs as a business.. Whos suppose to be also.

But saying that im open to help suggestions etc as the kit,fitting and body paint work is goin to be my largest expense and while i obviously want a cheap cost i dont want cheap quality. Its really the only thing ill pay someone to do.

No names but ive been quoted 15k labour JUST to fit the body kit plus 7k for the kit. Im sorry thats ridiculous. Spoken to some othet mustNg and custom body shop places and some have said they last fitted one for a few grand and it looked good aswell. So far theres a few places in aust that make them here and avg around the 4-5k mark. Still investigating..

But yes maybe ill give u call or happy to discuss on here so others can benefit from the discussion.

First ill get the thing blasted and etch primed before continuing.

But damm u showing thar s code :( if i got that id be stuck with 2 project cats and no money to restore so i can drive it hahaha altho ive seen cheap convertibles complete in the US from 10-15k . Thinking thatd be nice for summer cruising :D
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

soc123_au wrote:Doing an Eleanor type build is a great way to tear up the cash. I have done a list up of what needs doing & rough pricing. It is on a forum somewhere, I will see if I can find it & repost here.

Its best to have a realistic idea of what it will cost before you head down that path. No point getting part way through & changing tack.

If you have the means to go that way then it is a worthwile way to go.
Hey, yes im finding that out even tho im just doin the bodykit and grills and fuel cap and lights i can see the cash disappear. But i want it sooooooo bad. Its been years churning in my head
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

Found it :dance2: Obviously the costings are related to the car this guy was looking at building. Some of the boxes on yours may already be ticked.

Honestly, saying you want a cheap price but top quality is ridiculous. It doesnt work that way. Everyone deserves a fair price but I am not aware of too many panel shops that work for free. Dont take my word for it, do a a search on this forum & http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/ & check what happens when a project of this magnitude gets done on the cheap. After doing that make your own decision & by all means if you manage to do it on the cheap with a good result come & give me a big "I told you so" That challenge has been thrown out there before & I am still waiting for anyone to pull it off.

I am not trying to put you off or sound like an ass, but I have had this discussion more times than I care to count. Also if you do go ahead & need any advice etc I am more than happy to help.

Basic cost break down.

Decent Fastback to start with (in your case 35k)

Quality E body kit allow 6.5k

Panel bond to glue E kit $800.00 (you can do it cheaper with Eurathane but I personaly wouldnt)

E light kit with 67 shelby tailamps 2k add for LED globes etc

Fabricate brackets for light kit about 6 hours (x that by the hourly rate of whoever does it) The light bars that come with the kit do the big lower spotlamps only. You make the rest yourself.

Mach 1 fuel filler & accesories $400ish add about 4 hours to fit the recess in the qtr panel & modify the inner bracing to make it work. add for custom filler neck (the ebay ones are rubbish)

Fit E fibreglass kit 60-80 hours

fix any other issues in the body - could be anything

Paint 20k for anything decent

dissassemble & reassemble the car, time will vary depending on a number of factors but allow 80-100 hours & up

New rubbers, weatherstripping & miscelanious crap 10k (you would be surprised how quick this stuff adds up)

Engine & Transmission - depends on how nuts you want to go

Suspension/Brakes - see engine/trans

Diff - again depends what you start with & what you want

New tailshaft & universals $800.00

Wheels/Tyres- whatever floats your boat

Wiring 3k

Exhaust 2k & up

Steering 1k & up

Seats & retrim 10k for anything decent (we are talking an E car not a standard trim job)

Deluxe alloy dash facias & bezels, Trick guages etc 2k & up

That is just a basic rundown & it really depends what you want out of it. If you start with a car that is already mechanicaly sound & fits what you want then you can save a packet. also the better the body is the cheaper it will be. It will need a repaint regardless by the time you do the E kit but if its already straight & rust free it is much more straight forward.

There will be other expenses as well, new glass & things like that as well. They are pretty much a very hungry money eating monster.

Link to to complete thread http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/viewthr ... #pid148326