hybrids 1966 Coupe Project

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: hybrids 1966 Coupe Project

Post by hybrid »

Quick update.

Two runs last night - 11.7 and then 11.6
It was a very busy night because the Workshop Wars was on, so it was a lonnnng wait between runs.
Just before my third run my cooling fan stopped working - turns out I blew the ECU output. Not 100% sure why, but the engine overheated and I had to abort.

I'm happy with the time, although I was losing boost up top. Went from about 8psi at 5000 down to 5psi by 6000, where it should be more like 10-12psi.
Again not exactly sure why, but I think it's probably belt slip.

The gearbox held 3rd gear though, and now that I'm in the 11's I'm done.
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

hybrid wrote:Quick update.

It was a very busy night because the Workshop Wars was on, so it was a lonnnng wait between runs.
Just before my third run my cooling fan stopped working - turns out I blew the ECU output. Not 100% sure why, but the engine overheated and I had to abort.

I'm happy with the time, although I was losing boost up top. Went from about 8psi at 5000 down to 5psi by 6000, where it should be more like 10-12psi.

So prior gearbox issues fully sorted now with your new setup?
krisr
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by krisr »

jbb
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by jbb »

krisr wrote:Image

Should be able to bring cars up from Canberra for that one :bananadance: :popcorn:
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

what MPH ?
LEEH69
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by LEEH69 »

11.6 got to be happy with that Hybrid
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Dwayne wrote:
hybrid wrote:Quick update.

So prior gearbox issues fully sorted now with your new setup?
Yes, although it still flared a bit after the second gear change, so need to ask Silverfox about that one. Could be a accumulator or something causing that.
But 3rd gear held all the way. It was down on power though with the boost being lower.

Shaunp wrote: what MPH ?
118, which is actually lower than I have run previously. Again down to boost I think.
60' was 1.7 which isn't great, but still a lot better than my previous 2.0 and above efforts. The track was pretty grippy because of the workshop wars that night.

You can see the boost in the pic below. After 5200 it just tapers off, which is the opposite of what a centrifugal should do. The belt seemed tight enough and it didn't have that issue on the dyno. Both HP and Torque were both still climbing on the dyno when the gearbox started slipping at 5500 (over 10lbs boost).

Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Belt has to be slipping on the blower, or you have a weak blow off valve coming in too early. It will go quicker yet for sure. Its not uncommon to get an NA 347 in 65 into the 11's so I reckon you can push this to sub 11.5 once the stars align a bit more.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Yeah except I'm done. 11's was the goal after I originally ran 12.1 and was so close.
The only reason I would go back would be to check whether it's fixed, but I could probably see that in street logs even.

We did think about a boost leak somewhere, but after some discussion, I don't think the boost would keep dropping like that with a leak. You'd think it would remain pretty steady considering the supercharger would be pushing more and more air as RPM went up.

So it's almost like the supercharger has stopped spinning faster due to belt slip, and because the engine is demanding more air as RPM increases, the boost is dropping.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Unless the boost leak was near the map sensor? Then the car is boosting but reading incorrectly.

I don't know, it's a funny one. You have so much wrap around your pulley, I'd be surprised if it's slipping at only 5200.

So here's the deal. If i beat your time in the future will you come back?
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Husky65 wrote: So here's the deal. If i beat your time in the future will you come back?
No way... your setup is so much nicer. It's only a matter of time - although I think it will be tough with manual. I can't afford to compete!
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

Nice work both of you.

Hybrid, 11.5 is such a nicer number. Hell, even JBB's missus ran around that in the pink car but he will tell you it was under his instruction...

Cheers
Jacko
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
jbb
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by jbb »

Jacko
that's a nasty rumour that she started because I haven't let her drive the Mustangs yet. After all how could I let her.... The Fastback is still being run in and the pink one is always driven by me. :impatient:

And it wasn't 11.5 it was 11.52. :poke:

I told her we could build her a mustang of her own. :snigger: but she hasn't agreed yet.

cheers
jbb

Ausjacko wrote:Nice work both of you.

Hybrid, 11.5 is such a nicer number. Hell, even JBB's missus ran around that in the pink car but he will tell you it was under his instruction...

Cheers
Jacko
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Krisr found this photo for me. Absolutely love that photo. Might have to buy a copy.

Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Yeah sick photo!