Lets talk diffs

Technical Discussion on Mustangs born between 1973 - 1978

Moderator: Moderators

69candy
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Lets talk diffs

Post by 69candy »

As I am a bit of a knob with them and know SFA about them, Well, little anyhow.
Today my foot slipped of the clutch as my right foot hit the loud pedal. With all that engine noise and stuff going on, I had time to look in the mirror and only saw one black line through the smoke. Must be a crook engine??.
Question is, It has a 3.5 Track lock diff in it. Could the clutch's be worn out??. Was the only thing on the car not rebuilt(the center anyhow)
Should I put one of these in
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/31-SPLINE-TR ... 337eab6c7e
or just get a new clutch pack for it??
Opinions??
Merry Xmas
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Lets talk diffs

Post by hybrid »

Traction lock does not use clutches. If it really is traction lock, something ain't healthy with it.
Limited slip uses clutches.
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

You will be able to put it up on your hoist shortly and have a look:-) are you sure it's a locker & not an LSD?
69candy
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 69candy »

Pretty sure its a track lock as called for in the Marti report. As far as I know it is original to the car, as the diff tag checks out, 31 spline axels, N case.
I thought they had a clutch pack in the track locks?? like 4-5 clutch plates?? But I'm happy to be told different??

Looking forward to getting it. Poured the slab for it last thursday!!!
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Traction-lok is just what Ford calls their limited slip differential. It has clutch packs hence they get old and do not function so well. Really is a bad design if your looking for a locking style differential. You can search the forum - we have had a few good discussions on types of centres - one where Hybrid and I put up exploded views of the various centres.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
69candy
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 69candy »

boofhead wrote:Traction-lok is just what Ford calls their limited slip differential. It has clutch packs hence they get old and do not function so well. Really is a bad design if your looking for a locking style differential. You can search the forum - we have had a few good discussions on types of centres - one where Hybrid and I put up exploded views of the various centres.
Gotch ya. So would the part I have listed above be a good replacment? rather than rebuilding whats there? Mostly a street driven car. with ocasional loud pedal duties??
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

The description sounds as if it would be a better option. Having said that I did not find a lot of information. In any case, I believe it is a design detailed here.

http://members.rennlist.com/951_racerx/ps84gleason.html

I just do not know what it is your actually buying. Hence;

For a nine inch diff you have a lot of options. Based on your description I would consider a Eaton TrueTrac

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtl-9 ... /make/ford

The ebay product might be fine - just need more information as I would not use it unless I was sure it was a quality product.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

69candy
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 69candy »

Doing a bit of research today, and it appears it may be a poo comp part. Think I will leave it there and go the Eaton if I decide to put one in
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

69candy wrote:Doing a bit of research today, and it appears it may be a poo comp part. Think I will leave it there and go the Eaton if I decide to put one in
I'm with you 69.......