freight costs

Information on importing your car or parts

Moderator: Moderators

steve851
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

freight costs

Post by steve851 »

I'm trying or figure out what the best option is, either importing parts from the US or buying them locally. So,could some of you post some examples of freight costs from companies such as CJ pony and NPD in the USA, thanks.
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: freight costs

Post by mikes68 »

steve851 wrote:I'm trying or figure out what the best option is, either importing parts from the US or buying them locally. So,could some of you post some examples of freight costs from companies such as CJ pony and NPD in the USA, thanks.
Touch base with Lee and Sheriden at Import Perfections (local here in Perth). They may do whatever you can get onto a pallet for a flat fee... may depend on whether or not you have ever shipped with them though.
Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails
Ashley
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by Ashley »

Steve,

I know this might sound simple, but it all depends on how quickly you want to get your parts. Often if you plan ahead you can get them at a better price, be they local or from the states. You also then have a better choice for postage options. As for buying local or overseas, I generally try to support my local mustang parts guy, if he has what I am looking for. I am just as happy to ship from the states if there is a good deal to be had. I generally use a freight importer for larger or heavy parts, it is a lot slower than UPS/FEDEX (or which ever postage company) but normally a lot cheaper. The postage costs direct from the companies in the states can be quite high as the often they just put your parts in the most convienient size box not the smallest, therfor cheaper, box.

As an example I recently ordered a 7" brake booster and wilwood master cylinder from summit, I think it cost me about $340 total including postage of $105. That was still $80 cheaper than Rocket Ind here in Oz, and they did not have the booster in stock. The parts from the US arrived in 6 days from me ordering. So there are pros and cons for eavh dependong on the parts required and how soon you need them. My advice, plan ahead and shop around.

Hope this helps,
Ash
S[_]SPECT
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by S[_]SPECT »

mikes68 wrote: Touch base with Lee and Sheriden at Import Perfections (local here in Perth).
+1 , but it depends on size, value and how soon you need/want the parts.
Freighting larger items is cheaper this way, however you also need to consider that everything will attract GST.. Irrespective if your particular order is under the magic 1K.. its coming in with their shipment.. which will definately be over.. so everything in the container gets GST. You can still bring in items free of duty if covered by FTA.
The only downfall is time.. boat takes a while to get here..

Smaller items can be cheaper to ship direct.. just depends on the carrier used. Just get the quotes before shipping and consider how soon you need / want it.

I've always paid more when buying locally.. but that doesnt stop me shopping locally.. if its here and I need it.. can save a lot of time and effort.
Cheers,
Birchy...
Dodgy Bros. Customs

Suspect 67 - http://www.mustangtech.com.au/Forums/vi ... /t=52.html
chopmgw
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by chopmgw »

I guess it depends on what u want to buy.
Ive been buying parts from NPD.
Found their freight cost pretty reasonable too.
Parts alway here within a week.
I get a bargain on ebay now and again which has the benefit of pick up sometimes.
Bought parts off guys on here at good prices.
Just a matter of keeping ur eyes open and shopping around.
I smell oranges !

Michael
dalex
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by dalex »

40% is a good rule of thumb for Eastern States of Oz.
“Middle Age - When you want to see how long your car will last instead of how fast it will go.” .. unknown
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Another option is Wayne at America west, he can supply parts or freight .
0428 892 312
cheers