import approval

Information on importing your car or parts

Moderator: Moderators

68pony
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Re: import approval

Post by 68pony »

Hey kerry right place at the right time, the guy is a car nutter he is building a 1950 pontiac its going to have all the air ride stuff , he is selling the olds to go towards his dream car which is a 1939 oldsmobile,the car was pretty cheap as he wanted a quick sale to buy his 39 he is even going to personaly drive it to my shipper so this will be a great daily drive for me for just under $13,000au landed in my driveway plus rego on top.
jusTANG
PatCH the Platypus
PatCH the Platypus

Post by jusTANG »

68pony wrote:Hey kerry right place at the right time, the guy is a car nutter he is building a 1950 pontiac its going to have all the air ride stuff , he is selling the olds to go towards his dream car which is a 1939 oldsmobile,the car was pretty cheap as he wanted a quick sale to buy his 39 he is even going to personaly drive it to my shipper so this will be a great daily drive for me for just under $13,000au landed in my driveway plus rego on top.
8O great pick up Chris, love it :thumbs: and at that price OMG :dance2:
Cheers,
j
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

looks awesome!! i love old cars...

slight hijack from the original post but .. what exactly is the "title" of a car? is it a piece of paper with your name on it saying you own the car? is it an ownership paper? .. reason why i ask .. is i have someonebody importing my car for me .. so does that mean the title will be in HIS name? how do i get it in MY name? or does it go in my name when i register it? I just want to make sure being that i paid for it etc.. that the car is in my name when it gets here..

anyone can clarify for me? sorry to hijack ..i just thought it was similar to the original importing query
'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid

'You can never have too many gauges' -
Boofhead
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

gbx78 wrote:looks awesome!! i love old cars...

slight hijack from the original post but .. what exactly is the "title" of a car? is it a piece of paper with your name on it saying you own the car? is it an ownership paper? .. reason why i ask .. is i have someonebody importing my car for me .. so does that mean the title will be in HIS name? how do i get it in MY name? or does it go in my name when i register it? I just want to make sure being that i paid for it etc.. that the car is in my name when it gets here..

anyone can clarify for me? sorry to hijack ..i just thought it was similar to the original importing query
That tem "Title" applies in the USA. Basically it goes like this...

You buy a new car, the Title is in your name but has the lien holder (Bank or car company that lent you the money) on it. Once you have paid in full, the lien holder is removed & only your name is on the paper.

If the car is ever wrecked & totaled, it then gets a "salvage title" & even if repaired & returned to the road, that "salvage title" remains with it. There are ways of making it "clean" again, but none are legal.

You need a title when exporting from the US as the Dept of Homeland Security needs to verify the car is OK (not stolen for example) before export. The title can be in anyone's name as long as you have the Bill of Sale in your name & import approval you are fine.

In Australia your rego papers double as a Title (of sorts). Not really great as you never know what is owing etc on a car you buy. In both countries the system is not perfect, but both have their good points.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

ozbilt wrote:
gbx78 wrote:looks awesome!! i love old cars...

That tem "Title" applies in the USA. Basically it goes like this...

You buy a new car, the Title is in your name but has the lien holder (Bank or car company that lent you the money) on it. Once you have paid in full, the lien holder is removed & only your name is on the paper.

If the car is ever wrecked & totaled, it then gets a "salvage title" & even if repaired & returned to the road, that "salvage title" remains with it. There are ways of making it "clean" again, but none are legal.

You need a title when exporting from the US as the Dept of Homeland Security needs to verify the car is OK (not stolen for example) before export. The title can be in anyone's name as long as you have the Bill of Sale in your name & import approval you are fine.

In Australia your rego papers double as a Title (of sorts). Not really great as you never know what is owing etc on a car you buy. In both countries the system is not perfect, but both have their good points.
thanks kerry !! i have a memory like a siv but after reading that i think you may have explained that to me before :D