Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

CraigZ
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

66 Mustang front rotor diameter

Post by CraigZ »

Hi Everyone,
I have question about the front rotors on my 66 Mustang Coupe. I had decided to change the rotors and pads (which i had never done before), my mechanic bought some rotors initially which turned out to be 287mm in diameter. Once we removed the wheel, the current rotor only measured 270mm. Can anyone shine any light on why this size was used and if you can buy any in this size? Haven’t had much luck trying to source any, they all seem to be 287mm. They are 5 stud pattern.
Cheers
Thanks, CraigZ
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: 66 Mustang front rotor diameter

Post by Nuts »

287mm they should be. However, what calipers are fitted. Maybe you have non standard brakes?? Can you post a pic of your brakes to give us a better idea? Cheers Darryl
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
CraigZ
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by CraigZ »

Hi Darryl, thanks for the reply. I’m at work atm, I’ll take a pic this arvo. I do recall some type of branding on the brakes.
Thanks, CraigZ
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

If they are standard, they should be Kelsey Hayes and look something like this:

CraigZ
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by CraigZ »

Thanks, CraigZ
CraigZ
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by CraigZ »

Darryl and Hybrid, hope these photos can shed any light
Thanks, CraigZ
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Hi Craig, they are definitely not standard Mustang Kelsey Hayes brakes. although its difficult to tell exactly because the wheel hides the mounting bracket but they appear to be PBR Falcon or Holden brake calipers. If Falcon, they will have Falcon or later spindles that may alter the steering geometry. If Holden, they use the Mustangs of Melbourne adapter brackets. If so the steering geometry will be original. Hope this helps

CraigZ
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by CraigZ »

Ok, sorry I didn’t get the bracket in the photo, might try later for interests sake. Looks like I’ll just do a full conversion kit to upgrade to the larger / standard rotor size. I’m in NSW and have checked Sydney Mustang Parts for some kits. My car is pretty much a Sunday driver so I don’t need anything too extravagant, but I was wondering if most of these kits need to have a brake booster? (which I don’t have)

Thanks for your info Darryl & Hybrid
Thanks, CraigZ
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Originally, disc brake cars didn't have a booster. They had a hard pedal but the 4 piston calipers pulls the car up fine. Your existing brakes may be absolutely fine for your use. Why not replace the rotors with the same ones or get them machined and replace the pads. Is it just originality you seek?

Cheers Darryl

CraigZ
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by CraigZ »

I live in a mountainous area and get quite a bit of brake shudder down the bottom of certain quite steep hills. Was going to do as you said, machine rotors and change pads, but thought we’d upgrade instead, hence finding out that the rotors weren’t standard size. Originality not a particular issue, i suppose just need to decide which way to go. I’ve added a couple of photos again, hopefully clear enough…..appreciate the time you’ve put in, I’m learning things as i go along!

Cheers Craig

Thanks, CraigZ
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Hi Craig, the spindles are 69 to 70 falcon or 68 to 70 Mustang. The calipers must be of Ford origin as they bolt up to the Ford spindles however, I have never seen them before. What is unusual is that they each have 4 nuts securing the two halves which I have never seen before. When you pull a pad out it should have a part number which may help you identify what they are off. My concern would be that if you need parts for the caliprs down the track, you will have problems.

You could bolt on 68 to 70 mustang or falcon calipers and rotors straight up to those spindles if you're happy with the way it steers. Or source a complete front spindle and 4 piston brake kit.

i'm in Canberra, and you're welcome to drop in and discuss further. i'm really curious about those calipers tho. I can also help you source original complete brake components which I may be persuaded to part with.

Cheers Darryl

CraigZ
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by CraigZ »

Hi Darryl, I’m up in the Blur Mountains, thanks for the offer of dropping in, I may just do that one day in a long Sunday drive!
I’ll probably go with the calipers and rotors as you suggested. I have sourced some in the meantime and I’ll let you know how I get on.
Thanks again for all your advice, it has been invaluable!

Cheers Craig
Thanks, CraigZ
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Hi Craig, I am home at Douglas Park (near Camden and Picton) if you need any help or advice.

I will my mobile number
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet