Posting photos with GPS data attached (Prevention tutorial)

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

Foresight
Zebras for hire
Zebras for hire

Posting photos with GPS data attached (Prevention tutorial)

Post by Foresight »

I have notice that members may not be aware that photos taken on smart phones and GPS enabled cameras will still have their GPS data attached to them when they are posted on the forum. These photos are showing the exact coordinates of where our members pride and joy is stored as well as their home locations etc. This is bad enough but when members share when they will be absent etc it could become a serious security threat.

If this tutorial saves a single person from having something bad happen then it was worth writing

There are 2 ways to make sure this doesn't happen:
1. Disable GPScamera features on smart phones so that the GPS data is not attached to the photo in the first place.
2. Modify your photobucket account to strip the GPS location when an image is uploaded

Method 1: Disable gps camera features on smart phones
Smart phone instructions courtesy of http://icanstalku.com/how.php

iPhone (iOS 4.x)

Apple greatly simplified the way to turn off location services on a per-application basis. To see your settings, go to Settings, General, then Location Services. From there you can set which applications can access your GPS coordinates or disable it entirely.

---------------------------------------------------------

iPhone (iOS 3.x)

With the iOS 3.x there are two ways to disable Geotagging of photos. The first involves disabling of all location based services. To disable this feature, Go to Settings, General then set Location Services to off.

Image Image

Be warned: This will turn off ALL location based services for ALL applications. Of course we may actually have need to use location based services for other applications (such as maps and driving directions, or getting robbed via Foursquare), but just not for our pictures.

There is no easy way to disable location based services for just one application. However, we can make the iPhone prompt us at first use for each application. Once reset, the first time we enter the application we can enable or disable location based services for the application. To do so we need to go to Settings, General, Reset.

Image Image

Be careful here! We want to select Reset Location Warnings, and then Reset Warnings. This restores all of our Location based warnings for each application to the default, which in most cases is "Ask on first use".

Image Image

From here, once we enter into the default Camera app on the iPhone, we can select Don't Allow. This will prevent the Camera app from geotagging our photos.

Palm WebOS

Palm has made it fairly easy to disable applications from accessing the GPS without your explicit permission. If you bring up the "Location Services" configuration screen, there should be three options: Auto Locate, Geotag Photos, and Background Data Collection. Ideally, all three should be turned off.

To disable geotagging photos, simply turn the "Geotag Photos" option off. If "Auto Locate" is off, the "Geotag Photos" option will not be displayed as the Pre will not geotag photos with "Auto Locate" off. Once the "Geotag Photos" is turned off, the camera application will no longer geo tag photos. As a side note, if "Auto Locate" is off, the Pre will prompt you anytime an application requests your location from the GPS. This allows you to know who's asking to find out where you are.

Google Android (Verizon Droid Phones, this is you! :))

Like the iPhone, there are two ways to turn off geotagging. To completely disable GPS location finding for all applications, we will need to do the following:

Press the Menu Key and then Settings

Then press Location and security

By default, GPS is on. Uncheck it to turn it off

Image Image

Like disabling the GPS in the iPhone, this will break location based information for all applications, including legitimate uses.

In order to disable for just the camera application, start the Camera app to make sure that you are not saving your location. This is the menu on the left side of the camera application; it slides out from left to right.

Select "Store Location" and make sure it is set to off.

Once this is disabled, the camera app will no longer add geotags to your images.

BlackBerry Devices

There are multiple ways to disable the geo-tags on Blackberry. We details three ways here:

(Via Bug_Bear)

Select Options, Advanced Options, GPS, press Menu key, Select Disable GPS and select Yes to confirm. This will disable all GPS capabilities on the phone.

(Via Bug_Bear)

Select Options, Security, Applications Permissions, menu select Edit on the application (default is Prompt for BB Core), Expand Connections, Change Location (GPS) to "Deny", or you can disable within the application. Most apps i.e. Google Maps, Ubertwitter, etc... will just default everything to "allow" for app perms regardless of app settings chosen during setup.

(Via an anonymous contributor... Thanks!)

Go into picture-taking mode (via HomeScreen, click icon "Camera"), press the Menu button and choose "Options". Set the "Geotagging" setting to be "Disabled". Finally, save the updated settings.

Method 2: Modify your photobucket account to strip the GPS location

Login to photobucket, click your user name (1) and select your account settings (2)

Select the privacy tab (1), activate remove information checkbox (2) and then click save (3)

Your photos will now be stripped of location information when they are uploaded.

Please note: You may need to re-upload images that you previously uploaded to your account with the location information as I don’t believe checking this option erases data from existing images within your account.
Cheers,
Lee & Q
69 428 mach 1 - Guess who...it's Q!
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Posting photos with GPS data attached (Prevention tutorial)

Post by mikes68 »

Great catch there Lee... thanks for posting
Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

i just noticed that the pics i have uploaded recently from my phone have the location i uploaded them from attached to them and not the location of the actual photo... so even if you wanted the location you took the photo stored, it won't work...

i hope the gps on our camera we just bought does save the location its taken so we can say we saw a lion right there, when we get back from africa, and not have it say i saw a lion right here in perth...
Dreaming the dream... Living the reality...
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

There's a Cougar about to walk into my shop - maybe photo worthy - unsure as yet......
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Nice one Lee.
I'll make this a sticky.

BTW, as a moderator, you should be able to do that too I think :)
Foresight
Zebras for hire
Zebras for hire

Post by Foresight »

Hybrid, I just thought it was safer to let the kingpin decided :rotfl:

Tim that may be an issthawing your setup but in general the photos ive tested and the ones other members have uploaded all have the location of where the photo was taken.
Cheers,
Lee & Q
Foresight
Zebras for hire
Zebras for hire

Post by Foresight »

Cheers,
Lee & Q
mwizz
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by mwizz »

Thanks Lee, appreciate that
Foresight
Zebras for hire
Zebras for hire

Post by Foresight »

I know its a sticky but I thought I'd bump this because if you are anything like me you only ever click on the 'todays posts' link.
Cheers,
Lee & Q
jusTANG
PatCH the Platypus
PatCH the Platypus

Post by jusTANG »

thanks Lee, had done phone but had forgot to update photobucket
Cheers,
j
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Cheers Lee, luckily mine was already off but my wife's was not. Nice one mate.
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

I know this is an old post, but I thought I'd post an update as I wrote this for Facebook recently.

Security and posting your personal info online.

Did you realise that if you take photos on your phone, it defaults to show your location info which is not good if you're away from home or even at home as it shows where you are/live?

See pic attached that I took at school when I turned location data back on.

iPhone : To turn it off, on an iPhone go to settings - privacy and security - location services - camera. If you want you can just turn location services off.

Android: you can turn geotagging off by doing the following: start camera application – tap the settings button – find the gps tagging option and turn it off.
1. Disable Geotagging On Android Phone Using Camera App
On stock Android phones it is really easy to disable geotagging for Photos using the Camera App.

Or do one of the following:
1. Open the Camera app on your Android Phone or Tablet.
2. Tap on the gear icon located at the top-right corner of your screen
Camera App Settings Icon on Android Phone
3. On the next screen, scroll down and move the toggle next to Save Location to OFF position.
Disable Location Information on Android Camera App
Note: On some devices this option may be named as Geotag or Location tag.
2. Disable Geotagging on Android Phone Using Settings
Another way to disable geotagging on Android Phone is to use the Settings App
1. Open Settings > scroll down and tap on Apps.
App Tab on Android Settings Screen
3. On the Apps screen, scroll down and tap on Camera.
Camera App on Android Settings Screen
4. On the next screen, tap on Permissions.
Camera App Persmission tab on Android Phone
5. On the App permissions screen, move the toggle next to Location to OFF position.
Disable Location Data for Android Camera App
After this, the Camara App on your iPhone won’t be able to access your location information.
3. Remove Geo Tags from Existing Photos

If you already have a bunch of Photos on your Android Phone with geotag data, it is also possible to remove Geotags from those Photos.
To remove Geotag data, you can make use of Apps like GeoBye-Bye on your Android Phone or transfer Photos to computer and make use of a PC utility tool called ExifCleaner.

While the GeoBye-Bye App is easy to use, it can only remove geotags from one photo at a time and not from all Photos or multiple Photos at a time.

In comparison, the ExifCleaner supports batch mode and it can remove geotags from both single and multiple photos.
4. Completely Disable Location Tracking
In case you have a reason, it is possible to completely turn OFF Location tracking for all Apps and services on your Android Phone.
1. Open Settings > scroll down and tap on Location.
Location Tab on Android Settings Screen
2. On the next screen, move the the toggle for Location to OFF position.
Completely Turn OFF Location Tracking on Android Phone
3. You will see a warning pop-up, tap on OK to confirm.
This will turn OFF location tracking for all the Apps and services on your Android Phone.
Note: This can prevent Google Maps and other Apps that use your location data from functioning properly on your device.
Checkout my car builds - edzv8s.com
66 Convertible Bench Seat AODE 3.5 9"