Shorter throw shifter?

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Shorter throw shifter?

Post by hybrid »

I bought one of the consoles that slides over the top of the factory console because it just has no storage to hold phones, garage openers etc.
However after putting it in, it kinda interferes with the shifter and I think it's going to bug me.

Has anyone put a shorter throw shifter on a top loader or modified the stock one successfully?
My searching keeps pointing me to the hurst ones, but even they look super long and some are saying it doesn't shorten the shifts up too much.

The other option is to change out to a T5 kit or something like that, but I'd rather not go down that path.
geoff289
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Re: Shorter throw shifter?

Post by geoff289 »

I'd suggest that the basic structure of an early Mustang limits just how short the arc of the shift knob can be. By design the shift lever has to be relatively long compared to a more modern car to get the knob conveniently enough placed for the driver's hand. Therefore, the arc that the knob moves through in the 1-2 and 3-4 planes is longer than a new car with a short stubby shift lever.

I don't know what' available for top loaders but I have a short shifter from this mob

https://cubespeed.com.au/

on the T5 in my '66 attached to a Hurst lever (I had to make up an adaptor to mate the Hurst to the Cubespeed as the bolt holes were at different centres and I couldn't bring myself to drill the beautiful bit of Hurst chrome even though it would be hidden by the boot)

This definitely shortened up the shift arc, i.e. it is an improvement over the original T5 shifter, but because of the long lever it's still longer than a modern car. I have an aftermarket Scott Drake console in mine but no factory console under it. There's no interference.
Last edited by geoff289 on Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I've sat in and tested and I don't think a shorter shifter would impact my ability to drive the vehicle at all.
Here's my current problem:

The console is already way back on the original console to the point where the rear ashtray is unusable (which is not really an issue as my 6 and 9 year olds don't smoke any more).

My hand whacks the console every time I use 2nd and 4th.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Sorted! Put it in my press and straightened it out a bit.

Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

I was going to suggest using a Big Hammer but your way, although a bit too sofisticated for most of us, seemed to work well!! :snigger:
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

I am so happy your kids have given up smoking. Well done Jeff, good parenting :bowdown:
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

ozbilt wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:51 am I am so happy your kids have given up smoking. Well done Jeff, good parenting :bowdown:
:snigger: