Request for help - 68 Fastback rain drip rail corner profile

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Request for help - 68 Fastback rain drip rail corner profile

Post by mungus »

I just noticed that someone has "trimmed" the back corners of both my 68' fastback's drip rails.
Presumably to make fitting the polished stainless moldings easier..

However they have gone a bit overboard IMHO.
Apart from that bit of minor vandalism, the rails themselves are fine, no rust and already prepped. So I just want to restore the profile of the rear corners to something like OEM before I trial fit the moldings and do the paint.

I'd rather not pay hundreds for a pair of new drip rails when all I need to know is the extent of the molding rails around the rear top corner. Photo attached is not my car but it shows you the area I need to know about.

So would anyone have some unfitted new ones, or a car without its polished moldings on, that they would be so kind as to take a couple of happy snaps with a measuring tape behind the corner, so I can see where the vertical parts start and end etc?

Much appreciated if so. Thanks in advance.

Grumpy old git! 68’ S code Fastback
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Request for help - 68 Fastback rain drip rail corner profile

Post by ozbilt »

The moulding was never snapped on in the corners. They are narrower in that area, only just had enough width to hold the corner in place.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: Request for help - 68 Fastback rain drip rail corner profile

Post by mungus »

Thanks Kerry,

Yes I've seen that on other cars and the repop drip rails on line.
However mine have definitely been trimmed down quite a lot compared to the others I've seen.
I'd rather build them back at least some of the way towards OEM before I paint the thing...
It wouldn't be nice to fit the stainless moldings to find they don't curve correctly.
Grumpy old git! 68’ S code Fastback