The ADR's - converting the reversing lights into indicators?

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

The ADR's - converting the reversing lights into indicators?

Post by Edz66Vert »

Found this on Bookface, posted by NSW engineer Athol Mullen from Mullen Automotive Engineering.

I thought this was worth posting as I've seen a number of posts from people who want to covert their lower reversing lights into indicators.

This is the legal viewpoint (in NSW but it's also part of the ASR's).

From Athol's post - 'Another question I've been asked a few times.
"I have an [American vehicle]. The rear indicators use the brake lights. Can I convert the reversing lights into indicators, and when I do, can I still use them as reversing lights as well?"
Not all reversing lights can be used as indicators. They have to be close enough to the side of the vehicle and high enough off the ground to be legal. For vehicles before October 1991, the maximum distance from the centre of the indicator to the edge of the vehicle is 500mm and the minimum height from the centre of the light to the ground is 400mm.'

So worth checking the height on yours (mine measured 370).
Checkout my car builds - edzv8s.com
66 Convertible Bench Seat AODE 3.5 9"
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The ADR's - converting the reversing lights into indicators?

Post by ozbilt »

Mrsozbilt's 69 Mach has been engineered in NSW since 1992 and the rear flashers are in that report as being in the reversing lights.

That being said, while I am repainting and generally freshening up the car, I am putting the turn signals back in the tail light's. Reason is the car will be returning to the USA with us and I never felt that the reversing lights position was visible enough in the daytime.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet