C4 Kickdown shaft won't turn

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

C4 Kickdown shaft won't turn

Post by smh00n »

I went to put an aftermarket kickdown cable on as it was missing.

I have the shaft coming through the neutral switch but no OEM lever but the kit has a lever.

However, I cannot get the kickdown shaft to rotate. One way it has a positive stop and the other it just tightens. It can move in and out slightly about 1/8" or a bit more.

Having nil experience in automatics what could be the issue? It is leaking from the shafts and my searching today reveals there are 2 different length kickdown shafts which causes the oring to leak. It's not the original trans to the car and based on the way the whole car has been put together I would not be surprised if it was some hybrid thing put together from parts bin leftovers.

I guess not too much force is needed to move it? I am thinking perhaps whatever plunger it moves may be stuck due to no use?
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: C4 Kickdown shaft won't turn

Post by Nuts »

The C4 kickdown system is pretty simple. The lever sits against a spring loaded plunger and the level will only move one way around 30 degrees from just touching the lever to fully engaged. The other way it should bind on the inside of the case. My advice to you is to remove the sump and have a look. Messy I know but you'll soon work it out. Remember when you install the cable that at full wide open throttle, the KD level is just fully engaged. There should be a fair bit of slack in the cable until fully engaged. Hope that helps. Welcome to call me tomorrow and discuss. My number is in my Bio.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: C4 Kickdown shaft won't turn

Post by smh00n »

Thanks Nuts. I you-tubed it and found an Aussie showed how to change the selector shaft seal. Looks pretty simple.
Also found a post all about it. Seems the KD shaft can be shorter than the selector shaft so the O'ring seats on the 2 flats on the end of the shaft, not the full round shaft. Might be the cause of my leak.