This will make things a bit more difficult

Information on importing your car or parts

Moderator: Moderators

Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: This will make things a bit more difficult

Post by Dwayne »

There's also currently a review on removing dumping duties on Chinese made alloy wheels.

This could see prices drop when bringing the wheels into Australia from the US.
ACTstanglover
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by ACTstanglover »

This appears to give some tips on getting round the rip off

https://www.news.com.au/finance/busines ... 4551e463df
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

smh00n wrote:Hybrid that's correct. Australia has a free trade agreement (FTA) with the US. Anything USA made and costing under USD$2,500 does not attract duty. I spoke with Summit and was told they knew nothing about how to declare to the shippers its under a FTA.

Maybe you got the decent guy and I didn't
It's not up to them mate, it's customs. As long as it says made in USA you should be fine. My charger was well over $2k and didn't cop duty. $2k would not go far in a business transaction.
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

If you look at your Summit paperwork, you'll see country of origin is what drives duty calls.
smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

Dwayne is right; unless the shipper and the carrier are both aware that the item is made in US, and the shippers duty department know what TCO to apply (or the paperwork has the right TCO) then you will just get charged duty.

If ShaunP stuff was all US made then no duty would be applicable but GST would be.

I spoke with both Summit and their carrier over here and both referred me to each other.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Maybe I sent it to my shipping forwarder. Can't remember.
steve851
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by steve851 »

Whist on this subject I recently got an Email from NPD stating that come Jul 1 they will no longer process and ship order of less than 1000AUD also saying that they have no desire to become tax collectors for the Australia government. Orders $1000 will be process but the buyer will subject to any import duties etc on arrival in Australia. I'm wondering companies like CJ pony et al stance on this and orders under the 1000 bucks mark will be.
A cautionary note now when putting in a large order from Summit. when it comes to shipping options, Dont go the el cheapo route and pick ship to the nearest airport. I did that and on arrival the order was taken to the DB schenker kdepot. When I went to pick it up I was asked who is the import broker, So $385 plus customs fees later i am able to pick up my parts. I was told by the lady at the counter that lots of unwary Summit customers get caught out like this and it actually works out alot cheaper being shipped to your door. A lesson learned there.
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

Received an email from Comgateway, my US address provider and forwarder, stating it will no longer send bits under $1k. There is no compulsion on any of these foreign companies to do the tax collecting but they are doing to maintain access to our market.
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Weird - I got an email from them the other day too, but I'm sure it didn't mention not posting parts under $1k
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

hybrid wrote:Weird - I got an email from them the other day too, but I'm sure it didn't mention not posting parts under $1k
Have you ever placed an order for under $1K?
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

my bad, comgateway will collet gst on items valued at $1k of less:

This change will mean that effective 1 July 2018, comGateway will be required to collect GST from you on shipments to Australia with goods valued at AU$1,000 or less and pay that GST to the Australian Tax Office (ATO). The rate of GST is 10% of the goods' value. The existing processes to collect GST on imports with values above AU$1,000 will remain the same.
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

Bad news is - I got stung with GST by ebay yesterday for things I ordered from China.

Good news is, NPD will again accept orders again from Aussies below $1000.

Got this email today:

'To all of National Parts Depot’s valued Australian Customers:

We are happy to announce that, effective immediately, NPD will resume accepting orders totaling $1,000 AUD or less.

Through further research and fruitful discussion with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO), we have been able to devise a workable and acceptable system to collect and remit Australian Goods and Services Tax (GST) on orders less than $1,000 AUD.

Should your order qualify (less than $1,000 AUD in merchandise), the 10% GST will be applied to both the total value of the merchandise and the shipping fee. For orders over $1,000 AUD, GST will be collected as usual by Australian Customs.

We regret this interruption in service, and look forward to continuing to earn your business.
Sincerely,
Rick Schmidt
National Parts Depot

NPD update
Checkout my car builds - edzv8s.com
66 Convertible Bench Seat AODE 3.5 9"