Asbestos issues when importing from USA to Australia

Participate in this forum before you part with your money
Bosskraft
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Asbestos issues when importing from USA to Australia

Post by Bosskraft »

Hi all,

As most would be aware, Bosskraft relocated to the USA last year and with the recent enforcement of long existing asbestos legislation, by ABF in Australia, Bosskraft have jumped through the hoops and become asbestos qualified in the USA, authorised by the US Federal Gov to identify, take samples for testing (if required) and remove it from vehicles. The hope is that we can intercept these issues BEFORE the cars (or anything, actually) leaves the USA, and we'll be able to issue a certificate, clearing the goods of asbestos, which should keep the ABF off the importers tails.

We've been working with our long time customs broker in Australia and he suggests that this asbestos issue, is not something that will go away. It's here to stay. He also suggests that there was currently nobody in the USA, authorised to perform this work, and it left importers open to likely seizures by ABF, of imported vehicles, with fines likely to be issued if caught out (and they're frighteningly high!). That being the case, we've figured that the best way to avoid impound costs, storage costs, ridiculous multiple mechanics 'on scene' costs in Aust, is to deal with the issues in the USA, with US Federal certification to satisfy the Aust Gov, issued when cleared of asbestos.

Anyway, if you need our assistance, touch base with us and since we're banned from the 'other forum' for speaking our minds against the poor management of the club, we'd appreciate someone sharing this info on their page, as it may be useful to people on the page attempting to import.
Sean McDonagh
www.bosskraft.com
MCA Gold Card Judge
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Asbestos issues when importing from USA to Australia

Post by nassi »

Done, now we just have to hope they leave it there.
ACTstanglover
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by ACTstanglover »

check out this story on asbestos in classics cars which is in today's newspaper

http://www.news.com.au/technology/innov ... 3193ea62b1
Charbel
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Charbel »

This is very very sad. A relatively small number of classic cars come through customs and the powers that be decide to throw the book at them. A few years back thousands of BRAND NEW Great Wall's made it into the country with asbestos gaskets and all they did was make them slap some warning stickers on the tappet cover...

Charlie
C&M Engineering
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

So tell me Ken, where do you dispose of your asbestos..?
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

Strange that the mustang in the video was RHD, wonder where that came from?
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

unilec5544 wrote:Strange that the mustang in the video was RHD, wonder where that came from?
I've seen a couple RHD ones come in, that were fully built by reputable builders over in the states. One of them was VERY highly modified. I guess it's who you know when it comes to bringing them in.

I'd definately be going through Sean if I wanted to import an older vehicle now, stuff paying that on top of all the other fees you get stung with.
Last edited by Husky65 on Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

Saw this link in a newsletter and thought some might find it useful:

http://www.border.gov.au/Busi/cargo-sup ... d/asbestos

cheers
Jacko
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'