Important information before purchasing an unsighted vehicle

Information on importing your car or parts

Moderator: Moderators

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Important information before purchasing an unsighted vehicle

Post by hybrid »

Based on recent events, I think it's a good idea to leave this sticky thread on the website.
Whether this is an interstate vehicle, or overseas vehicle, you need to be careful.

Consider these things before you send any money.

1) Consider having the vehicle inspected by a trusted source if you can't get there yourself. That could be another forum member, an NRMA inspector, a local mechanic, or other trusted vehicle inspector.
2) If the seller "is offshore working" in some form or other, it's probably a scam
3) If the seller wants to use western union or some other kind of unorthodox funds transfer method, don't do it. It's practically impossible to get your money back if something goes wrong.
4) Confirm any transfer details by phone and attempt to verify the person on the phone if you can - do not rely just on email as email can easily be fraudulent. If you can't verify by phone, you can use something like WhatsApp or WeChat if you can verify the source.

If anyone has any other tips to add to this list, let me know and I will add them.
Edit: Added Kerrys suggestions
Last edited by hybrid on Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Important information before purchasing an unsighted vehicle

Post by ozbilt »

A good suggestion that came out of that thread was also using WeChat or WhatsApp as a secondary method of communicating with the "confirmed" seller. I use both & they are both independent of any email chain etc. So a good way to confirm banking details that have been received.

Also we have some great forum members here that are either based overseas or travel there often. Use local knowledge.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet