Information on importing your car or parts

Moderator: Moderators

Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: NSW Registration of imported vehicles

Post by Shaunp »

nassi wrote:
chopmgw wrote:Am I the only one who thinks these big engines in these cruisers is overkill ?
Whats wrong with the good old 302 ?
Got more than enough power for a bit of spirited driving.
Its not like u can use the big engine around the burbs.
Not with the radars and cameras about nowdays.
Nothing against fast cars but a 40 year old steering and brake design is not the best platform for high speed either.
+1, I'm all too happy with a cruiser these days. If you want something really fast then go and buy any newish car and take it to the track, it will generally be faster than you rodded or hotted up Mustang, handle better and cost a lot less to get to that point.
BUT if you have a different opinion........... I guess your not old like me :lol:
Just be realistic about what you want from the car, too many of us get caught up in the numbers wank and probably are not sure how these numbers stack up in the real world. Bigger is not always better IMO.
Probably had too many of these :drink:
Kind of agree, but I don't like new cars, no fun they do stuff too easy. I grew up with hot cams and bigger or more carburettors, While these days I would not put up with some of the engines I built as a kid and like AC these days as well, I still want a similar feel of a lumpy idle and snappy throttle response, there is no law about how fast you get to the speed limit as long as you don't turn the tyres.
These cars are about nostalgia to me that is a crunchy 4 speed, lumpy idle, induction roar, and a launch of the line. I won't inject my car, cause I know it won't sound right. If you build them right they will still cruise fine, but its not bad if they can rap your ears behind you head if you nail them as well.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

You echo my thoughts as I have a similar back ground and experiences. [Though I have installed a patched together EFI hardware using megasquirt ECU I have built]. I like to play and experiment a little with my cars - a fully programmable (including the source code) EFI system is a toy I could not resist].
I will someday think of something clever to say.
smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

Dragging up an old thread.

I spoke with a certification engineer today about the mods I want to do, which are:
* Borgeson power steer box
* TKO600 5 speed
* XF calipers/XB master cylinder/adjustable proportioning valve

All of them need certification. The box I thought would be the hardest as it has welded lugs to mount, but he was fairly relaxed with it, saying that as long as the welds look good (they do) and there was some sort of documentation from the supplier on how/what it would be OK.
The gearbox and cross member will need certifying as it's not an option, it's not a Ford box (I have read it's loosely based on a truck box) therefore has to be approved.
Brakes are fine, as they are XF calipers they have approval but to the letter of the law the booster/master/caliper combo needs to be justifed as being compatible.
But reality is he will send it off to an Inspection Station with the Platetronic plate tester and let it decide if the balances and pressures are fine. If it doesn't pass then do more tweaking and try again.
The lump - quite interesting, he basically said don't tell me what size it is. Although a 429 was an option and I am covered up to 20% of that so I might just say it's a 351 and see what happens. Although, a 500cid alloy headed big block would be nice.

So all this will be around $1,100 to do but as Ozbilt has stated, I can tell my insurance company all the bits changed and they cannot dud me when it comes to the crunch (hahah).
Might be worth others looking at whats been done and maybe getting them certified?
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I often wonder how many stock drum brake setups would pass the tests that the engineers put new setups through.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

The Mustang pull under dash handbrake would not pass as it is biased to one side. The nature of the design. You have to go through hoops when you make it better. lol.
smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

Yeah, I was going to ask how many dead stock brakes 'passed'. The handbrake solves one question for me - I am about to replace every cable and lubricate anything as I reckon putting out a handkerchief in the form of a parachute from the side window would slow the car better than the handbrake.
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Argh, engineering,what fun.
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Cage - you offering a service to help others in NSW?
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Sure mate, Jeff and I can help out. I'll add moral support and Jeff can do everything.

By the way, what's a hand brake, is it the P on the shifter?
Last edited by cage on Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Just like R is Race on the shifter.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

cage wrote:
By the way, what's a hand brake, is it the P on the shifter?
Any American, that lives in a state that gets snow, never uses their park brake (they call them "emergency brakes") as if you set it at night, you cannot release it in the morning. The road service carries a propane torch to heat them up if that happens, otherwise you are not going anywhere.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet