Oil Leak in the back of a 351 Cleveland

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

GregC
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Oil Leak in the back of a 351 Cleveland

Post by GregC »

Hi I am wanting some general advice in relation to what members may believe the cost would be to repair an oil leak from the back of the block. I am told it is quite common however the only way to complete the repair is to remove the engine. I have noticed of late that there is more oil pooled on the garage floor.
Greg

Living the Dream
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Oil Leak in the back of a 351 Cleveland

Post by boofhead »

Very sexy. Nice.

To change the rear seal does not require the engine to come out though it is easier if it does. You need to drop the pan, hence cross member needs to come out. Once the pan is out the read main needs to be removed then new seals added and the reverse put back together again. Now sometimes it does not go as easy it appears as getting the old seal out and sliding the new one in around the crank can be problematic but do able.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

I pulled my engine out stripped it good chance to refresh it anyway and sent it in and got the rear main milled out to take a one piece seal cost 160 bucks havnt looked back
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

123abc wrote:I pulled my engine out stripped it good chance to refresh it anyway and sent it in and got the rear main milled out to take a one piece seal cost 160 bucks havnt looked back
This is a good mod! :like:
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
shaun071
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shaun071 »

Hi Greg, just check that it actually is the main seal leaking. I've owned a few clevelands over the years and had the rear seal on the intake manifold leak down the back of the block. Also had the oil pressure sender spring a leak once as well. Its located at the back of the block. If you're lucky it might be either of these issues which are a lot easier and cheaper to fix!
Cheers Shaun
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

shaun071 wrote: I've owned a few clevelands over the years and had the rear seal on the intake manifold leak down the back of the block. Also had the oil pressure sender spring a leak once as well. Its located at the back of the block. If you're lucky it might be either of these issues which are a lot easier and cheaper to fix!
Cheers Shaun
And this is why Silastic ( yes know it's brand name smart ass,.. talkin to you johnny resto )was invented dunno how they were ever built without it..
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm