Air Cond for a 68

Information on importing your car or parts

Moderator: Moderators

steve851
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Air Cond for a 68

Post by steve851 »

During the course of the restoration of my 68 J code I would like to install a perfect fit air conditioning system. Has any body imported one of these kits and about how much was the shipping? I am traveling to the States soon so the other option is bring a kit home with me in my luggage, I'd like to know the approximate weight of these kits to figure out if its viable to bring it home as luggage.

Cheers
Bosskraft
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Re: Air Cond for a 68

Post by Bosskraft »

I use the 'old air' systems and if they're anything like them in weight, you'd be over weight in your bag for sure, if you tried to bring it home yourself. The shipping isn't bad, it's trying to make sure they don't whack you for shipping AND handling, as that's where they smack you.
Sean McDonagh
www.bosskraft.com
MCA Gold Card Judge
steve851
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by steve851 »

Thanks for that Sean Ive checked out Old Airs Product and their system looks nice I got a quote from classic auto air and the quoted me close to 700 bucks pretty expensive I thought. Anyway, my wife tells me that Qantas, for $84 will increase ones baggage allowance by 32kg
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Most importers will charge around $400.00 for a cubic meter. I just imported Old Air system for my 65 and that is how I got it in, having said that the box is a reasonable size and weight your idea of excess luggage I would expect to work well.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

boofhead wrote:Most importers will charge around $400.00 for a cubic meter. I just imported Old Air system for my 65 and that is how I got it in, having said that the box is a reasonable size and weight your idea of excess luggage I would expect to work well.
400 really/?? is that just qld? the 2 different guys ive dealt with for my wheels/tyres and my tcp gear were 250/m3. Must be a qld thing? :D .. ive also ordered an Old Air through BossKraft and REALLY looking fwd to installing it in my 67 fb. Ive heard good things about Old Air, Classic Auto Air and Vintage Air. Ive read 2 out of 3 instructions and they are pretty good.

I went with Old Air based on recommendations and experience from guys here in NSW and Australia in general.

Im pretty sure the "kits" are customisable in a sense you can pull out any parts you dont need, whether it be the complete engine to underdash .. or just the underdash side etc.. etc..

If you were including condensor, dryer, compressor, underdash and all the bits i would imagine this would add up in weight and size so might be difficult to bring via luggage ??

anyway good luck .. i hear these aftermarket systems work really well and are less clutter underdash and rarely have any dramas and are easily serviceable if required and well designed.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

You have done better than me which is excellent. I am always happy to know how to organise prices to be lower especially when considering transport costs - 250 is very low in my experience - I would like to know more.

As far as the old air unit. Looks good it is not very wide but it is rather tall. So a fair volume appears to me (only preliminary locating the unit so far) to be lower then I would like it to be. I have looked for a few pictures on their site and various other photos which confirms my findings. Having said that it looks good, packages well and looks to be good quality complete system. See how it works out at the end though.
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

boofhead wrote:You have done better than me which is excellent. I am always happy to know how to organise prices to be lower especially when considering transport costs - 250 is very low in my experience - I would like to know more.

As far as the old air unit. Looks good it is not very wide but it is rather tall. So a fair volume appears to me (only preliminary locating the unit so far) to be lower then I would like it to be. I have looked for a few pictures on their site and various other photos which confirms my findings. Having said that it looks good, packages well and looks to be good quality complete system. See how it works out at the end though.
both were local mustang parts companies here in syd.

I noticed the old air unit was a bit taller which hung lower but didnt think anything of it. That should be interesting to see asthetically.

Sorry to hijack .. so you havent fitted yours yet boofhead?
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

In the process of installation. Have a plan started to modify it and started to decided where the hole in the firewall is going to be made. Then I can paint the engine bay etc.
steve851
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by steve851 »

Well I just got an estimate of between $700 and $800 from Old Air but he did put me on to an Aussie dealer. Any one heard of Grand touring components in QLD? The kit weighs in at 72 lbs so the excess baggage option is looking more attractive.
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

steve851 wrote:Well I just got an estimate of between $700 and $800 from Old Air but he did put me on to an Aussie dealer. Any one heard of Grand touring components in QLD? The kit weighs in at 72 lbs so the excess baggage option is looking more attractive.
yeah its very expensive to ship direct.

CarCoon in qld gold coast are the australian supplier (brett madden). from memory it was 2250 for the complete electronic kit EXCLUDING compressor and bracket. and i think 2590 which included the compressor and bracket.. apparently its 300 for the bracket alone and 300 or 399 for the comrpessor alone .. so its better to buy the full kit. Obviously these are Aussie prices. The US prices for the comrpessor and bracket is almost half that. Bare in mind that bracket is for a V belt setup although they have several other bracket options.

I ended up getting my aircon system through Sean at BossKraft

EDIT: here is the link.. old air told me this was the australian suppler
http://www.carcoon.com.au/contact/
Brett is the guy who quoted me those prices above
Bosskraft
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Bosskraft »

We're a dealer for them here at Bosskraft. I've been extremely happy with their units and we've fitted about 10 or so of them lately.
Sean McDonagh
www.bosskraft.com
MCA Gold Card Judge