Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 12568
Hits New Yesterday: 17268

Server Time
17 December 2017 18:56:42 AEDT (GMT +11)
Mustang Technical Discussion > Mustang Projects > Husky's 65 Restomod > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

View posts since last visitView posts last 24 hoursView unanswered posts
Forum Index > Mustang Projects

Husky's 65 Restomod Reply to topic

Go to page Previous 1, 2, 325, 26, 27 28 29, 30, 31 Next
Shaunp
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

I think all Pro 1 have cnc chambers now

hybrid
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Shaunp wrote
I think all Pro 1 have cnc chambers now

Mine needed some welding as well. Got them as seconds. There was a flaw in the casting in a couple of the chambers.
So welded and cleaned up all of them.

Husky65
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

hybrid wrote
My PRO1's needed the chambers cleaned up, but I got mine cheap.
GBX has a nice set of heads for sale, but his have the high exhaust ports, so will need headers to suit.

How much boost are you planning to run? I'm sure your heads will be fine for sane amounts of boost.
Not a huge job to change them down the track anyway.

I'm sure my heads will be fine at 8psi, maybe more, but apparently it's a luck thing above 10psi according to various users in regards to heads lifting with the gt40's. I actually don't know if the novi 2000 will allow 8psi with my setup. It might be more, these things do flow a lot. Plus, I know i'll get bored and up the boost a bit.

I can get a new set of trickflow 170's (not the 11r) from the states for bang on 2000g aud, so that's at the top of the list at this stage.

Shaunp
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Put some head studs and some MLS gaskets on it it should fine.

gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Husky65 wrote
hybrid wrote
GBX has a nice set of heads for sale, but his have the high exhaust ports, so will need headers to suit.

How much boost are you planning to run? I'm sure your heads will be fine for sane amounts of boost.

I'm sure my heads will be fine at 8psi, maybe more, but apparently it's a luck thing above 10psi according to various users in regards to heads lifting with the gt40's. I actually don't know if the novi 2000 will allow 8psi with my setup. It might be more, these things do flow a lot. Plus, I know i'll get bored and up the boost a bit.

I can get a new set of trickflow 170's (not the 11r) from the states for bang on 2000g aud, so that's at the top of the list at this stage.

I have the 170s competition heads 7/16 stud with the ultra golds, mls gaskets, tfs cam, forged bottom end.. as i said before.. buy mine! (But earlier next year lol)! . We should go for a drive me thinks. I was in the shire last night. Let me know when your free Smile

But the 195 heads i have for 2.5k would be heaps better if youre only after heads

'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid

'You can never have too many gauges' -
Boofhead

Last edited by gbx78 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Husky65
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Shaunp wrote
Put some head studs and some MLS gaskets on it it should fine.

I have some arp studs and felpro 9333 gaskets. I didn't really want to go mls as i'd like the gasket to blow before my hyper pistons. Also, i know mls gaskets are sensitive to anything other than a true flat surface. My block wasn't machined flat and neither were my heads, so I have that in the back of my mind.

Don't get me wrong, guys in the states with studs and the felpro 9333 seem to go well up to 12 psi, but anything over and you'll find the stories everywhere. I just thought now would be a good time to put different heads on it as everything is stripped. Still undecided.

Husky65
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

gbx78 wrote
Husky65 wrote
hybrid wrote

I have the 170s competition heads 7/16 stud with the ultra golds, mls gaskets, tfs cam, forged bottom end.. as i said before.. buy mine! (But earlier next year lol)! . We should go for a drive me thinks. I was in the shire last night. Let me know when your free Smile

But the 195 heads i have for 2.5k would be heaps better if youre only after heads

I've moved from the shire now....I'm an outcast.
Sound tempting but it will be over my price limit. And who knows, my block might last for a few years the way I drive.

What I like about the TW 170's is they will clear my pistons. I'd have to notch my pistons for the canfield heads. And I don't really want to go down that path, as this was meant to be a quick gasket/stud change before I put the charger on........which has obviously escalated because I hate money

gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Husky65 wrote
gbx78 wrote
Husky65 wrote
hybrid wrote

I've moved from the shire now....I'm an outcast.
Sound tempting but it will be over my price limit. And who knows, my block might last for a few years the way I drive.

What I like about the TW 170's is they will clear my pistons. I'd have to notch my pistons for the canfield heads. And I don't really want to go down that path, as this was meant to be a quick gasket/stud change before I put the charger on........which has obviously escalated because I hate money

Well you will be happy with the 170s. !

'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid

'You can never have too many gauges' -
Boofhead

Husky65
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

So received the replacement engine mount brackets last week, and put them in today. Lets just say without heads, manifolds and the accessories, it is a piece of piss. Did it on my own in about 90min with a bit of fucking around too. They are much sturdier with the 3 bolts as opposed to the 2 bolts that the Ron Morris kit uses. The plates from the RM kit actually look pretty average compared to these ones, even the bolt holes were a bit oblong etc.
Anyway, it lifted the motor by a fair bit, about 1 1/4 inches. Hopefully my exhaust lines up and the drive line angle is still fine. You fix one thing and pray that it doesn't stuff up another Bow Down

So, luckily I had some replacement grade 8 bolts for the brackets, as the ones that I pulled out were grade 5. The large 1/2" bolt that ties the engine mounts together through the bushing was also grade 5, and no shit, the right side was bowed pretty badly. So I have replacement grade 8 bolts coming for those also, will be easy to swap them over. Glad I decided to change them now. That 1/2 center bolt takes a fair bit of load, wouldn't want that bending too much Poop Hit Fan

Last edited by Husky65 on Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:51 pm; edited 4 times in total

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 👍 / 0 👎

Bolts are in double shear. Grade 5 has better shear strength.

Kerry

It is easier to get older than it it is to get wiser

Husky65
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Kerry I did a fair bit of reading and the latest information I can find is that a grade 8 is stronger in shear strength. Not saying you're wrong, just what I've read.
tinelok.com/grade-5-vs...fasteners/

I'm all ears though, new to the fastener side of things.

Husky65
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Unfortunately I have been busy with work so trying to do bits and pieces. Plus some parts from the states are taking forever to get here which is holding up the crank trigger setup.
In the meantime I have just been knocking over the easy jobs and getting the wiring loom sorted.
One of the things I wanted to do was clean the engine bay up a bit, as I wasn't happy with how it looked before(yes I know, first world problems).

So I sent a bunch of parts off to get powdercoated, got a few things replaced in polished aluminium, and sprayed a few things. I found a can spray paint called Spaztix, which is widely used with toy models. So I sprayed the water pump/block in gloss black, then sprayed this over the top. Came out pretty good, as good as you are going to get for a spray can. I also did my pulleys and the power steering reservoir with it. I think it's a fine like between looking corny, so hopefully with all the powdercoating bits and polished alloy bits it blends in well.
This is the chrome spray:

Here are the bits I had powdercoated. They were meant to be chrome powdercoated, but it's more like a bright silver. I think the clear coat they used dulled it down, but oh well, it looks nice and I'm not doing it again.

And here are some of the alloy bits. I had a replacement upper hose made, and also used modified an alloy washer reservoir which will be used as the meth tank. It has a level float on the side which will show up on the gauge inside. Also used an aeroflow fitting and added a breather to one of my valve covers, which will be the fresh air inlet for the pcv system.

I also bought a slightly used Accufab 90mm polished TB to replace the 75mm one I had.

And last but not least chucked the new CVR starter in. Very well built, more so than the one it replaced.

Husky65
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Getting stuck into the wiring. Just labelling everything, removing the wires I don't need, adding things like gauge wires to the loom etc so.....just to make it easier once I am upside down with a torch in my mouth and only being able to use one hand(bloody small mustangs i tell ya!)

hybrid
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Pretty much the same meth tank I used, although I had to put the float switch in myself.

Husky65
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Oh yeah I added mine too, it was in the snow kit I purchased.

All times are Australia/Sydney
Go to page Previous 1, 2, 325, 26, 27 28 29, 30, 31 Next

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
   rkmiller73 

66STNG 

Husky65 

Nuts 

cage 

StephenSLR 

ComingEvents
Mon Dec 25, 2017