Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 14221
Hits New Yesterday: 20108

Server Time
20 November 2017 15:25:39 AEDT (GMT +11)
Mustang Technical Discussion > Mustang Projects > Husky's 65 Restomod > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

View posts since last visitView posts last 24 hoursView unanswered posts
Forum Index > Mustang Projects

Husky's 65 Restomod Reply to topic

Go to page Previous 1, 2, 321, 22, 23 24 25, 26, 27 Next
nassi
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

hybrid wrote
Works well.. they look pretty bright.

Nassi Laughing

Hmmm a bit worried about you guy's. That is brighter than the usual Mustang tail light.

Husky65
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

I've been away with work so not much happening, but I tried heating up the novi impeller to remove it. Didn't budge, so I will get a press on the shaft.

Kerry, if you read this, I have tried pm'ing you but they won't go through, just stays in my outbox. If you are around the next few weeks and don't mind helping press the shaft out, it would be much appreciated.
Thumbs Up

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 👍 / 0 👎

PM sent

Kerry

It is easier to get older than it it is to get wiser

Husky65
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Thanks for the pm Kerry.

I ended up buying a small 10tonne press for a good price. Takes up stuff all space so I easily justified it.
Pressed the shaft out of the impeller no dramas. There was a bit of oil on the outside of the seal but not much. Looked to be in pretty good nick.
The new seal I received looks nothing like the old one. Also, stupid question, but do you think the spring loaded side goes towards the bearings/oil side, or towards the impeller/dry side?

hybrid
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

The lip (and spring) usually goes to the side being contained. So it should go to the oil side in this case.

Husky65
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Yeah I assumed that, I just second guessed myself as the shaft is pretty hard to get through the lip/spring side. I can see myself damaging the seal on assembly because I'm impatient.

hybrid
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

You might be able to remove the spring to help get it on, but it's risky as you could damage the spring.

Husky65
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Ok, so I think I may go aftermarket ecu again. To help sway my mind, I went and bought the sensors, trigger wheel and ls coil packs. Now just to sway my wife.

So, this is what I was thinking with the mounting of the trigger wheel. Tell me if you think it will work or not.

My balancer has a .950" spacer as part of the balancer. This is because the crank pulley mounting point is recessed, and the spacer stops it hitting the balancer itself. See below

Now, I can get a pro race balancer that doesn't have the spacer as part of the balancer. I can purchase the spacer on it's own for about $30 bucks. So I was thinking that I could mount the trigger wheel inbetween the spacer and the balancer. The trigger wheel is 1/8" thick, so if I milled 1/8" off the back of the spacer, everything should line up hunky dory. Just drill 4 holes through the trigger wheel inline with the spacer holes. See below for pic of balancer and spacer.

The other thing that I'm not sure about is that the balancer is 6.4" in diameter. The trigger wheel inc the teeth is 6.75". Which leaves the teeth .175"(4.5mm) exposed past the balancer. The teeth are .250"(6.4) high.
Are the teeth protruding 4.5mm past the balancer going to be protruding enough to get a decent signal?

Last edited by Husky65 on Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total

hybrid
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Is that the DIY autotune trigger wheel?
If so, it will be fine as that's what I'm using on mine.

4.5mm should be OK - the gap required for most sensors is under 1mm.

Husky65
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Yeah mate it is.
Just to confirm, the gap I am talking about is the gap between the edge of the balancer and the edge of the teeth(ie the valley of the teeth will be 'inside' the balancer diameter by 2mm and the rise of the teeth will extend past the balancer by 4.5mm) I will be able to get the sensor within a mill of the teeth.

Husky65
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

My other option is to find a machinist who can just drill the appropriate size hole in the wheel and press it on to the rear of the balancer.

hybrid
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Yes I know what you mean. 4.5 should be enough distance from the top of the teeth to the balancer that it shouldn't affect the tooth readings.

Husky65
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

So, I have a new set of seals on the way for my novi Poop Hit Fan

Put the shafts through the seals was a real pain the ass. Because they are square on the edges and not tapered, they just hit against the seal and try to invert the seal when it's being pressed. I ended up getting them on, but then took the case off to check something, and not only had the garter spring fallen out, but the seal was a little wonky. So I ended up pulling it apart again and removing both seals.

However, I think I may have found a good way of sliding the shaft through the seal for my next attempt. Similar to piston rings. I too the worm drive off some small clamps, and just used the clamps to stretch the seal open a little. When you slide the shaft through, it hits the clamp and pushes it out, but the seal goes on smoothly. Will make sense when I take photos the next time I do it.

nassi
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Husky65 wrote
So, I have a new set of seals on the way for my novi Poop Hit Fan

Put the shafts through the seals was a real pain the ass. Because they are square on the edges and not tapered, they just hit against the seal and try to invert the seal when it's being pressed. I ended up getting them on, but then took the case off to check something, and not only had the garter spring fallen out, but the seal was a little wonky. So I ended up pulling it apart again and removing both seals.

However, I think I may have found a good way of sliding the shaft through the seal for my next attempt. Similar to piston rings. I too the worm drive off some small clamps, and just used the clamps to stretch the seal open a little. When you slide the shaft through, it hits the clamp and pushes it out, but the seal goes on smoothly. Will make sense when I take photos the next time I do it.

Bloody good idea. Like

Shaunp
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Bit of thin plastic sheet will do, to slide them on, like over head projector stuff

All times are Australia/Sydney
Go to page Previous 1, 2, 321, 22, 23 24 25, 26, 27 Next

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
   Shaunp 

gbx78 

nassi 

boofhead 

Nuts 

Dwayne 

LatestForumPosts
Last 10 Forum Messages