No staff members are online!
We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 1379
Hits New Yesterday: 18041

Server Time
20 January 2018 02:30:52 AEDT (GMT +11)
Other > Other Projects > Jacko's Project > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

View posts since last visit β€’ View posts last 24 hours β€’ View unanswered posts
Forum Index > Other Projects

Jacko's Project Reply to topic

Go to page Previous 1, 2, 3 … 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 60 61 Next
nassi
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

rkmiller73 wrote
The steering wheel on the wrong side of the car keeps throwing me.

I suppose you think the same of us when I say 100 MPH or 8 inches vs metric crap. 😜

A lot of us are old enough to still use MPH and feet and inches, but the metric system does make life easier.

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

nassi wrote
rkmiller73 wrote

I suppose you think the same of us when I say 100 MPH or 8 inches vs metric crap. 😜

A lot of us are old enough to still use MPH and feet and inches, but the metric system does make life easier.

Many Americans told me they could never understand the metric system. I usually shocked most when I explained they have "metric money" .......... Laughing

When we had our right hand drive Mach over there, many would say " your steering wheel is on the wrong side" (see above Poke ), my reply ..... " no matter how you look at it, the steering wheel is on the 'right' side".

Kerry

It is easier to get older than it it is to get wiser

malscar
Senior Mustang

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

nassi wrote
rkmiller73 wrote

And know how to convert measurements etc on the run. i.e. 2.54cm is 1 inch.

nassi
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

malscar wrote
nassi wrote
rkmiller73 wrote

And know how to convert measurements etc on the run. i.e. 2.54cm is 1 inch.

or 40 thou is 1 mm.

Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

24 December 2017
Not much done this week. I adjusted the centre console so that selecting reverse (left and up) no longer fouls the side of the shifter opening in the console.

H helped me test the clutch and accelerator travel and I wired up the heater motor. Just on the accelerator pedal travel, it is pretty small compared to the Mustang but it does translate to full opening of the butterflies on the carby. After a bit of a noisy start, the heater β€˜fan cage’ spins away quietly; must have been resting for too long.

Here is a shot from last week with the wheels fitted. These will stay on the car for rego but I have a sneaky set in the wings…

Reinstalled the flex fan and top radiator hose that I removed to test fit the thermos fans. Topped up the coolant while I was at it. Had to go and buy more earth cable for the fans and will make the loom for these over the Chrissy break.

Some may recall the rather looooopy (read too long) brake booster vacuum hose. Well, I trimmed it and fitted it to the port on the carby. The Fitech has a booster vacuum port and as the holley does as well, I fitted a plug to the manifold port I was using and switched it to the carby; looks neater.

While admiring the engine and recalling my unfortunate fitting of the bonnet on the grey car (how was I to know the air filter bolt would stick up that far), I grabbed the orange element air filter I picked up at a swap meet for $20 and test fitted it for clearance. As it is a low fitting style (ignoring the Engine Master dyno results for this style of filter) it will provide more clearance than the old sucker I had on there up till now (this was little more than an insect barrier).

So here is how the engine bay looks now

I have just started to make an angled piece that will fit over the positive battery clamp at the battery. I will attach the myriad of relay power feeds to this angled piece as the clamp bolt was not happy. It will work something like a busbar in a building and look much neater. Plagiarised the idea off a car I saw at a show a little while back

Have a safe and merry Christmas
Cheers
Jacko and H.

'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'

rkmiller73
Senior Mustang

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

That is looking fantastic!

I use metric all the time for medical stuff, but don't know if I will ever get used to KPH if we ever switch here in the U.S.

I suppose 15.2 cm sounds better than 6 inches... Poke

hybrid
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

That's 152mm thanks Ryan. Only dressmakers use cm Mr. Green

Edit: bin those wheels Jacko, they're horrible!

Last edited by hybrid on Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Nuts
Mustang King

Location: Can someone send me some of that "Clean" coal for my furnace. My wood has frozen..

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

hybrid wrote
:
bin those wheels Jacko, they're horrible!

The wheels are fine Hybrid. It's the car that's the problem..

My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic

Dwayne
Senior Mustang

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

What are the wheels?

They look like autodrag's

Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Wheels are centrelines I think. I don't mind them but...

'68 J-code GT Fastback

Dwayne
Senior Mustang

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

They're very popular down here in Radelaide, so shouldn't have much trouble selling them if you decide to.

www.facebook.com/group...345170199/

Last edited by Dwayne on Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:45 pm; edited 2 times in total

Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

31 December 2017- 7 January 2018
The last week of the year saw the wipers cleaned up and reinstalled on the car. I fitted new wiper blades that I picked up some time back. The switch I β€˜fixed’ is too fickle to use and I have installed another one I had.

Started the car to check the exhaust and clutch operation. Both seem to work well and the car is a lot quieter- thank god the neighbours said. Reverse switch on the gearbox works. Ran the car up to temp and topped up the coolant that is now running through the heater core.

As I could not figure out how to attach the jerry can under the car to supply fuel, I decided to empty the jerry can into the petrol tank- go figure! I then used the vacuum pump to suck fuel up to the business end. This revealed that I had forgotten to tighten the join in the fuel line. Tightened up and no more leak. I looked at fitting an in line filter and have decided to use one that I had sitting around. I have modified the filter holder that was on the car and will use an existing hole in the guard to mount it. The hose will do a loop down to the pump but who cares really.

Finished my little busbar at the battery and shortened the cable from the alternator by 15cm to make it look neater; factory some would say.

Trial fitted the red spark plug leads but need to figure out how I am to crimp the ends as the pliers I ordered fell through as the supplier had no stock- get that. Anyway, with the leads the correct length it should help keep the leads away from the exhaust.

Mounted the one of the sparkplug lead crimp dies in the vice vertically in the vice and used a hammer to make the crimp on the leads. New leads installed.

The fuel gauge was always reading full; this is bad as it was empty. Worked out that disconnected, the gauge will read full, meaning the sender was not sending. Pulled that sucker from the tank and found two large corks acting as the float. Forgot to take photos which is a bugger as these things were cool. Used the multimeter to determine that the movement of the float arm was having no effect (in changing resistance) and so dismantled the variable resistor case. Gave the odd contact thingy a light bush with steel wool and checked it was not broken. This thingy is mounted to the float arm pivot and moves along the variable resistor as the height of the fuel changes. Put it back together and checked that the resistance was changing as the arm moved; appears to work.

Reinstalled it back into the car and yep, we have a quarter of a tank of fuel.

Mounted the fuel filter on the drivers side guard into an existing hole. This is a pretty fine filter and should keep any crap away from the carby. Gave the car a run just to make sure things were working; and they are. Checked the timing and she is at 8deg BTDC which is fine.

And the big moment: the car is now planted firmly on the wheels on the ground. I must say it looks like a go kart it is so low. This is because I have been accustomed to seeing it half a metre off the ground.

JBB came over and we installed the bonnet/hood. We elongated one rear hole in one of these new hinges to get the windscreen end of the bonnet down in one corner and that worked well. And these new hinges actually keep the bonnet opened, not like the flogged out ones that were on it.

And the big Jacko moment: closing the bonnet carefully so that the air-cleaner bolt does not dent the bonnet. We had a few trial runs and I can happily report we have clearance! Truth be told I chopped about 8mm off the bolt just in case.

Then the bigger moment- drive out of the garage time. In what was a 4 point left run out of the garage, the car finally saw sunlight for the first time assembled- yep she looks bloody fantastic. Steering is heavy, like truck heavy, but we made it.

youtu.be/onDvnc_MoN8

Up the drive we went under self-power- no tow ropes here baby- and right into the street. Now, I had a choice of going around the block, involving going down a short steep hill and up the correspondingly steep hill at the other end of the loop or down the street and up into a cul-de-sac. I chose the cul-de-sac and lucky I did as you will read.

The steering effort had already told me this thing has the turning circle of a small cruising liner. I dared not navigate the cul-de-sac and rolled backwards into the street; bloody thing stalled. Back underway and up the hill we drove spluttering along- stalled once more. Up to the other end and we turned back down the street toward home. The motor was running like a dog and was clearly clinging to life; she gave up 20 metres from home.

JBB did a fine effort to push us home the final 20 metres (it was down hill so don’t go overboard on the pity just yet). The hard bit was pushing the car back up and over the gutter until we reached the slippery slope that is our drive. Back to the shed we went and reversed in with a 13 point shuffle into the shed.

My bet was that we were out of fuel. JBB’s was either that or flooded. Removing the air filter and starting her revealed a momentary appearance of the β€˜fuel fountain’ telling us she was flooded; float reset time.

JBB reset the float on the primary and secondary, we fiddled with the idle screws and she ran much happier. She suffered run on after turning off that showed the dizzy was not firmly bolted down; now fixed. In all, pretty minor things and this short drive showed I need to:

-Get a wheel alignment as we are tracking differently
-Check the jet sizing
-Adjust the clutch as it disengaged too close to the floor.
-Get skinnier tyre for the front as they rubber the guards in two places. No damage but a PITA nonetheless.
-Get her registered

A big thanks to JBB for helping through the morning.

Right, next day: Front up on stands and wheels off. Adjusted the clutch and bleed the brakes- a few bubbles came out of each front caliper with more from the drivers side.

Tightened the dizzy back where she should be and gave it a test start. Fuel spurted out the front bowl breather tube- this is now really shitting me as I have been here too many times! Put a blue and white car cover over the car and left here for the night.

A new day and yet another carby. This one is from Pete, is a 600 vac secondary holley and has apparently had a kit put through it. Popped that sucker on and bugger me (I wrote fuck and deleted it), this one has a small leak out the brass plug/bung at the top of the secondary fuel bowl, at right angles to where the fuel transfer tube enters. Really, I can’t believe this! Off it comes…

Replaced the rear bowl with one of the many I now have accumulated. Back on the car it goes and it does not leak- I am taking this as a win. This one also does not spurt fuel, suggesting the other issues I have had are needle and seat related. If only there was an auto parts shop open (insert frowning modern capital city resident icon).

Fiddle as I may with this carby I can’t get this thing to run happy. It works OK off idle but like a spluttering dog below 1000rpm. Might be cam related but I can’t be sure as I don’t know the cam specs and have not driven it properly or a vacuum leak.

Changed plugs, checked leads and reconfirmed (for the third time I think) that the dizzy and balancer are in agreement regarding engine position.

Removed the cooling fan and will fit the thermos now as I suspect the metal fan was only an arm slicer in the making and had little cooling impact.

Blocked any possible vacuum leak as I suspect this is one possibility of the rough running. Fitted the thermos fan using the all purpose Telstra rope to secure it in place. Dodgied up the fan to run and started her; runs much smoother. Checked and adjusted the float level a smidgin. Checked the timing and it is about 12 or 16 deg BTDC depending on which mark I use and it was as steady as a rock. I am not sure what the issue was but I think I have sorted it now. Thank God for that!

youtu.be/LESLJ5CUjI0

Oh, and I fitted the windscreen squirter nozzle thingy in the bonnet. Brother Steve assisted with advice on wax for the first clean and I ordered a digital controller for one fan as the fitech will control the other.

'68 J-code GT Fastback

Last edited by Ausjacko on Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:56 pm; edited 2 times in total

Shaunp
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

What carby is on it? I'd run a Quadrajet personally, always ran them on my Torana's great carb, when set up right , good power and fuel economy to boot with the spread bore design, and it would be correct for the car.

Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Hey Shaun, you were my next point of call if the vacuum leak and plugs did not work. At present it is a 600 vac sec square bore Holley.

Anyone know how to fix the youtube link thin- Mr Hybrid?

'68 J-code GT Fastback

Shaunp
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Do you have a spread bore intake? Q jets are spread bore, if its got a square bore intake stick a double pumper on it, its a 4 speed it will be fine.

All times are Australia/Sydney
Go to page Previous 1, 2, 3 … 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 60 61 Next

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
   66STNG 

Nuts 

nassi 

Husky65 

Dwayne 

LatestForumPosts
Last 10 Forum Messages

Husky's 65 Restomod