Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 13813
Hits New Yesterday: 20108

Server Time
20 November 2017 15:05:26 AEDT (GMT +11)
Other > Other Projects > Jacko's Project > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

View posts since last visitView posts last 24 hoursView unanswered posts
Forum Index > Other Projects

Jacko's Project Reply to topic

Go to page Previous 1, 2, 39, 10, 1156, 57, 58 Next
Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

OK, fast forwarding a few months (nearly six as it turns out) so that I can dove tail with current events.

The car is now a complete gutted rolling shell and ....

Through the week I borrowed the car trailer from a mate and with JBB’s help, lugged the car out of the yard and towed it to Big Mc’s shed. Along the way we had two people stop and talk to us about the car. The first guy was at the traffic lights in Red Hill and the second was in the bakery in Goulburn. Even stripped bare the car attracts attention.

Big Mc, over to you for the rust and bumps updates.

I am grabbing a more comfy seat, beer, erected the 'Do not disturb- Car business underway' sign and am eagerly watching.

Whoops just hit an F button now I have the page code at the bottom of the screen. NP, closed it down.

'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 👍 / 0 👎

So we are now at November 2015 ....... Cheer

I was assured that I was not committing any offence by working on a "future" red coupe. The jury is still out on that one, but it is here in the flesh. Here is my first view of what I had in store .......

Actually looked a lot better than I thought ...... Very Happy

Kerry

It is easier to get older than it it is to get wiser

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 👍 / 0 👎

Turns out it was not a Ford, but as I am a whore & will work on anything, I accepted the challenge ..... Bingo

Unmasked & bolted panels removed ........

Lead removed from the quarter to roof join (so it could be fully welded & plastic filled later) ....

Starting to find lots of plastic filler (80's style repairs were later found) .......

Nice thing was the PO had lead filled the badge holes, that makes it real easy to re drill ....... Like

So then started to dig a little deeper .......

& started to think a little bigger ...... Very Happy

Kerry

Shaunp
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Hey I saw a radio the other day went to look at Mustang for a Mate of Birdmans, the guy had an Aircheif on the bench. The coffin maker bloke at the Sushine coast can remetalise the dash plastics. HYqual is his name.

Shaunp
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Pretty typical Monaro rust, not too bad though. They use to have felt under the rear 1/4 window the stop rattles thats where the rust comes from

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 👍 / 0 👎

Shaunp wrote
Pretty typical Monaro rust, not too bad though. They use to have felt under the rear 1/4 window the stop rattles thats where the rust comes from

Yep. I was cutting rust out of them while they were still under warranty back in the day. They certainly did not like a humid climate.

Kerry

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 👍 / 0 👎

Started making the patch panels ......

& had a look at what was behind (or what was NOT behind). Pictures taken after the felt removal .......

Kerry

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 👍 / 0 👎

Made up some mounts for the rotisserie .......

Then sent it off to be blasted. After getting it back, I still had some whizzing to do as they did not blast the centers of the panels due to fear of buckling from heat distortion ......

Welded some non standard holes in the engine bay before priming ......

Kerry

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 👍 / 0 👎

Shaunp wrote
Hey I saw a radio the other day went to look at Mustang for a Mate of Birdmans, the guy had an Aircheif on the bench. The coffin maker bloke at the Sushine coast can remetalise the dash plastics. HYqual is his name.

www.hyqual.com/service...etallising

Kerry

Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

What Kerry does not say is that his work is first class!

I thought I had circled most of the problems that I could see but there were a few more. The PO told me about the previous repairs but we did not realise the patches on the rear were as extensive. Big Mc found a couple of unseen small areas but, as he says, the car is pretty honest in terms of what I understood I had purchased; happy with that.

Kerry's work is incredible and I wish I could spend a week up there just to watch what and how he does it. For example, the rotisserie. When we were up there last weekend I was on my knees checking out a dodgy subframe bolt. "Why are you doing that" he asks. He then effortlessly uses a handbrake handle to free the car and uses one hand to rotate it so the suspect area is now at waist height. That car was balanced perfectly!

Looks like the car is as delivered, but for the prang on the passenger side that the third owner told me about. Kerry put this down to the seam sealer around the engine bay; Kerry may be able to explain.

Shaun

You can see that felt in one of the photos above. I just can't imagine that they never foresaw the area rusting out- pretty standard on these things. Big Mc has a fix in lieu of it though.

The plastic chroming and funeral home link does not surprise. After you get the bill for this stuff you have a heart attack and die!

What was he doing with the radio? I don't really want it to work, just need it to fill the hole.

Am chasing a set of headers for this thing (350chev into HKTG) if anyone knows of anything let me know.

Cheers
Jacko

'68 J-code GT Fastback

Shaunp
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

The guy with the mustang for sale used to be an autolec, /car stereo guy he imports one of those modern retro type radios.
Get on to Birdman on the other form and get the blokes number, it was a push button Air chief . If they dont work they all have the same fault, the smoke the caps in the output stage, due to another component making the the output transistors draw too much current, any 1/2 decent radio bloke can fix them in 1/2 hour. you can buy the lenses new. The Hyqual guy is not that expensive as long as he has plenty of stuff to do at the same time. He makes most of the coffin handles and crosses in Oz thats why he has a machine. John Greene has used him for year for RHD bezels on mustangs

nassi
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Wow, that really is a decent body. Nice score Jacko.

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 👍 / 0 👎

Nothing special about what I do, Jacko. Plenty of guys know & can do better work than me, it is just old school panelbeating that requires a bit of hand forming knowledge. The years as a TAFE teacher helps that ...... 😄

Kerry

Shaunp
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

[quote="Ausjacko"]What Kerry does not say is that his work is first class!

I thought I had circled most of the problems that I could see but there were a few more. The PO told me about the previous repairs but we did not realise the patches on the rear were as extensive. Big Mc found a couple of unseen small areas but, as he says, the car is pretty honest in terms of what I understood I had purchased; happy with that.

Kerry's work is incredible and I wish I could spend a week up there just to watch what and how he does it. For example, the rotisserie. When we were up there last weekend I was on my knees checking out a dodgy subframe bolt. "Why are you doing that" he asks. He then effortlessly uses a handbrake handle to free the car and uses one hand to rotate it so the suspect area is now at waist height. That car was balanced perfectly!

Looks like the car is as delivered, but for the prang on the passenger side that the third owner told me about. Kerry put this down to the seam sealer around the engine bay; Kerry may be able to explain.

Shaun

You can see that felt in one of the photos above. I just can't imagine that they never foresaw the area rusting out- pretty standard on these things. Big Mc has a fix in lieu of it though.

The plastic chroming and funeral home link does not surprise. After you get the bill for this stuff you have a heart attack and die!

What was he doing with the radio? I don't really want it to work, just need it to fill the hole.

Am chasing a set of headers for this thing (350chev into HKTG) if anyone knows of anything let me know.

Cheers
Jacko [/quote]

Do you know what the headers look like, don,t think they'd be anything special, they were just crate engines. Dave Johnson may have something, or even Superformance at Capalaba , they used to import container loads of SBC engines in the 80-90s they may have stuff laying around still

Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Hey Shaun
Pacemaker do a set for $700+ that many use but there must be alternatives. I took a set off it but they are rusted to buggery- disguised the lifter noise ;-)

'68 J-code GT Fastback

All times are Australia/Sydney
Go to page Previous 1, 2, 39, 10, 1156, 57, 58 Next

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
   gbx78 

Shaunp 

nassi 

boofhead 

ozbilt