Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 13994
Hits New Yesterday: 20108

Server Time
20 November 2017 15:15:06 AEDT (GMT +11)
Other > Other Projects > Jacko's Project > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

View posts since last visitView posts last 24 hoursView unanswered posts
Forum Index > Other Projects

Jacko's Project Reply to topic

Go to page Previous 1, 2, 37, 8, 956, 57, 58 Next
Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

15 June The heater

The heater on these is mounted in the engine bay inside a heater box. A bit more accessible than the mustang but a lot less visually appealing in the engine bay. The box is made out of some form of fibrous bakerlite/come fibreglass. As mine has a few cracks and holes, my fibre glassing skills would get a work out.

Drained the coolant (that I added to replace the water) from the radiator and motor. Saved most of it with the other two litres being soaked into my shoes.

Removed the heater hoses and routed one back to the water pump- just in case I want to start it. Used the hose pliers, that push the hose away from the tube and got to say I love them. They saved a heap of twisting, tugging and grief.

With the heater hoses disconnected and the brown power wire free, I undid the four phillips head screws along the top of the heater box. The metre long screw driver from the mustang dash rebuild came in quiet handy here. Then realised I needed to jump inside the car and disconnect the heater distribution unit that is attached to the four long bolts from the heater unit through the firewall. Nuts off and the heater box pulled away easily.

Here is the space it frees up. I have seen in some earlier cars there is a blanking plate where the heater box goes.

cars

And the unit freed

Great to find a white inspection stamp on the base of the heater box for 26 Jul 1969. A closer look at the heater box reveals a bit of damage but the core looks fine. I sense some quality fibre glassing time approaching.

To completely remove the plastic air distribution unit out from under the dash, I pulled off the air vent hoses but she still would not come free. Then located a sly screw on the drivers side end of the unit that was keeping it in place. Undid this and disconnected the wire control cable and she was out. This looks to be in really great condition.

As I was underish the dash- argh, my not so favourite place- I took a few snaps of the wire connections and other assorted bits I as yet do not realise I have, or need to remove.

Inside the workshop, removed the badges from the grill (the lion and GTS). The lion surround appears to be blue but is pretty faded. What was a red GTS is now just a pot metal silver.

'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'

Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

16 June
Not a big day but managed to take apart the heater box. The flap actuators are a press fit and I managed to support them and use a small drift and hammer to separate them. Spent the rest of the time scraping out the old chaulking from the grooves around the meeting faces of the two sides.

I am sure Big Mc has a similar ‘jig’ in his workshop for this very task-NOT

'68 J-code GT Fastback

Nuts
Mustang King

Location: Can someone send me some of that "Clean" coal for my furnace. My wood has frozen..

0 👍 / 0 👎

I'd be replacing the core anyway. The green radiator shit they used to use is actually corrosive.

My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic

Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Hey Nuts, don't jump ahead ;-)

'68 J-code GT Fastback

Nuts
Mustang King

Location: Can someone send me some of that "Clean" coal for my furnace. My wood has frozen..

0 👍 / 0 👎

Ausjacko wrote
Hey Nuts, don't jump ahead ;-)

Sorry Mate, just trying to make you spend zillions on that POS non Mustang! 😈

MustangMedic
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Hey Jacko,
Wanna buy a brand new GPS tracker still in the box....never fitted it to my car.
Cheers,
Ash

Cheers.
Medic
(Always work smarter not harder!!!)
67 C Code coupe
97 SN-95 Convertible

Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Hey Ash
I think we have some of the newer 3G ones underway, thanks all the same.
Cheers
Jacko

'68 J-code GT Fastback

Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

17 June 2015
Fibre glassing time again
With the heater box cleaned externally, it was time to tackle the hole and splits in the heater box. As this must be the original box, I would like to refit it to the car if that is viable. If not, I have a spare waiting in the wings from the PO.

Disposable gloves donned, after the mess from last time, and I was away. Cleaned the surrounding surfaces with grease and wax remover, cut the glass fibre and mixed the ‘stuff’. This time I avoided spurting the whole bottle of hardener into the mixing tin.

I used g-clamps to bring the broken parts of the case together. I will do the outside curve first and as it is soooo cold, will reinforce the inner curve tomorrow; if it hardens over-night.

Fixed up the other half of the case where the core goes; a much easier fix.

I took the under dash air distribution unit apart by removing the nine spring clips that clamp the sides together. Again, secured the underside of the actuator and ‘drifted’ the shaft out.

It was raining and the wheel-barrow that we use to collect rain water was filled for the fourth time. I used this to clean the dirt/dust out of the plastic vents.

The 150mm bench grinder and wire wheel is becoming my favourite device. I spent some quality time cleaning the fasteners, flaps and clips from the heater and air unit; came up a treat. Then I started on the fan motor

This is where it got interesting. I cleaned the body easily enough and found the cooling tube (that takes air from the impellor and directs it back to cool the motor windings) pulls out fairly easily with the aid of a small screw driver.

Taking the impellor off is another matter. Try as I might, I can’t seem to get the plastic impellor off. Have searched the interweb and seems a few others have asked the same question in the past with no useful response as yet.

'68 J-code GT Fastback

Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

18 June Heater day 27 (well it feels that way)

Picked up the clutch slave cylinder, ratcheting open ended spanners and foam for the heater box. Steve from Steve’s Upholstery did not recollect the car but said he may if he saw it. He gave me the foam for the heater box and carpet/felt for the under dash unit. I gave him $5 which I thought was pretty good as he was going to give it to me in the first place.

Yep, it was raining and has been for a couple of days. What better time to see if I can liberate the ‘squirrel wheel’ from the heater motor. Searching the interweb suggested it was just a press fit but there is mention of a ‘staple’ holding it on as well. Had a close look over the wheel and could not see any sign of a staple. After a couple of tries just pulling at the thing and hoping it did not break, I had a break and rethink. Issue is pulling the thing from the perimeter potentially places too much stress in the base and it will crack. If you can get the force acting closest to the area/region of resistance then you will have more luck. As the base is concave (up away from the motor) getting close to the drive shaft is tricky. I used pieces of flat bar and while holding the motor gently in the vice, used the flat bar in a twisting motion to effectively push the wheel up the shaft- and it worked. Wheel freed.

Previously I mentioned the staple that apparently secures the motor shaft to the squirrel cage? Nope they don’t. They actually stop the cage sliding further down the shaft as shown here. Caution: this is the only photo of the fan motor shaft staples known to exist - view carefully!

You might just make out the slit in the cage that locates the stables. In this sense, they act like a woodruff key

I tested both motors and the one on the car (from the busted heater box) works but the one in the good box does not. I used the busted one as a test to take it apart. Nothing obviously wrong with it internally it just does not work. Will have a closer look at it over the next week.

Pulled the working one apart and cleaned up the internals. Brushes look fine (confirmed by a friend). Cleaned it up and painted it satin black- my second painted part.

Remember it was raining, well more interwebbing. I think I have said before that the car was dealer fitted with a Britax Webasto sunroof as shown here:

In my photoing, I noticed the black plastic surround around the handle was broken, with the rounded part missing altogether.

My web skills had found that these sun roofs were fitted to MG’s, jags and other exotics in Europe during the 1970’s and 80’s. I sent a few emails off to the companies in the UK and they all replied that they had no spare parts. Today I found that Webasto is still operating in Australia, still making sunroofs. Called them and they referred me to Custom Sunroofs in Victoria. I spoke to Peter, a real character who installed these roofs in their day, and he is to have a look for any spares that he may still have.

'68 J-code GT Fastback

Nuts
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Still trying to figure out why this post is here. It is not mustang related! However, after much consideration and many glasses of whine. I have conclused (typo but like that word), that the HK to G was probably the bestest holdon built. Unfortunately for restorers it has many unique parts made from unobtainium. Hold on tight Jacko, it's going to be a rough ride, but it should be fun! 😂 😳 😩

Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Nuts, am now referring to the car as a Holdon Fastback. Hoping this will ease some pain ;-)

'68 J-code GT Fastback

Shaunp
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Are you going to keep the Webasto roof? or weld it up. Ive worked on few Jags with them, in fact its a very desirable option on a 50s-60's compact Jags like a MK11 or S type. I almost purchased a 3.8 S type in pieces once purely because it had a Webasto roof from new and it was a factory 4 speed overdirve car.

ants
Junior Mustang

0 👍 / 0 👎

vimeo.com/113257000

Something interesting if that Munro needs 1/4 panels..

Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Hi Shaun
Definitely keeping the roof. It will need the roof lining changed to match the sandalwood but I have extra 'material' to do this. Any advice/suggestions on what I should use to refurb the exterior black vinyl surface?

'68 J-code GT Fastback

Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Hey Ants, have seen that vid before- pretty impressive. Big Mc's skills are right up there as well.

'68 J-code GT Fastback

All times are Australia/Sydney
Go to page Previous 1, 2, 37, 8, 956, 57, 58 Next

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
   gbx78 

Shaunp 

nassi 

boofhead 

Nuts