Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 1659
Hits New Yesterday: 17225

Server Time
17 December 2017 02:03:57 AEDT (GMT +11)
Mustang Technical Discussion > Pre 1973 > Carpet/Underlay/Dynamat > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

View posts since last visitView posts last 24 hoursView unanswered posts
Forum Index > Pre 1973

Carpet/Underlay/Dynamat Reply to topic

Go to page Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

I used ACC carpets mass back plush. Its basically carpet backed with a rubber like material then underlay. Fitted perfect and I have no heat or excessive noise through the floor of the car.. just my exhaust from outside. Very happy with it. I looked at knox etc and their carpet wasnt the best and thin and flimsy. It was the same as the local places here that sell molded carpet. So I went and got my carpet from the US. Its quite thick so some areas like the scuff plates are a challenge but didnt phase me. Highly recommended if thats an option. Owed me about $400 to my door.

'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid

'You can never have too many gauges' -
Boofhead

ACTstanglover
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

gbx78 wrote
I used ACC carpets mass back plush. Its basically carpet backed with a rubber like material then underlay. Fitted perfect and I have no heat or excessive noise through the floor of the car.. just my exhaust from outside. Very happy with it. I looked at knox etc and their carpet wasnt the best and thin and flimsy. It was the same as the local places here that sell molded carpet. So I went and got my carpet from the US. Its quite thick so some areas like the scuff plates are a challenge but didnt phase me. Highly recommended if thats an option. Owed me about $400 to my door.

Thanks, appreciate that. Where do you get the ACC carpets from? So you basically just have carpet and underlay, no dynamat or alternative at all.

ACTstanglover
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

ozbilt wrote
ACTstanglover wrote
Thanks for the comments so far, appreciate it.

As my car is RHD, I am guessing I will have to get the carpet locally, as it will need the rubber mat at the drivers feet

Order 1970 carpet as they have the rubber mat both sides. Just order the body style you have (hardtop, fastback or convertible).

Is it an exact fit? Thanks for the tip Kerry, I had no idea the floors were same sizes.

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 👍 / 0 👎

ACTstanglover wrote
ozbilt wrote
ACTstanglover wrote
Thanks for the comments so far, appreciate it.

As my car is RHD, I am guessing I will have to get the carpet locally, as it will need the rubber mat at the drivers feet

Order 1970 carpet as they have the rubber mat both sides. Just order the body style you have (hardtop, fastback or convertible).

Is it an exact fit? Thanks for the tip Kerry, I had no idea the floors were same sizes.

Yes, the shape of the floors never changed from 64 1/2 - 70 for each different body style.

The only difference is the 69 - 70 fastback has lower seat risers (because of a lower roof line) but the carpet still fits very nice.

Kerry

It is easier to get older than it it is to get wiser

Last edited by ozbilt on Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total

ACTstanglover
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Thanks Kerry, very informative, as per usual. Would the Mach 1 carpets in the link below be the right one...... just want to make sure.

www.cjponyparts.com/ac.../p/MC22-V/

mark.wright
Junior Mustang

0 👍 / 0 👎

I used fatmat (dynamat copy) then acoustic liner from car builders. The dynamat stuff is good as a sound damper but little else. The acoustic liner though is awesome, gives the carpet a quality feel and really works well.
A heat gun is good for getting it off but yeah...... hard work

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 👍 / 0 👎

ACTstanglover wrote
Would the Mach 1 carpets in the link below be the right one...... just want to make sure.

www.cjponyparts.com/ac.../p/MC22-V/

That would go close, however they do state is is a different type of carpet (40mm thick? ) & I noticed it has the formed section of the 69 -70 seat riser which would make it difficult to fit.

I have always used the common carpet brands (names escape me) but they are the poly backed loop carpet that forms easy on a warm day.

Kerry

LEEH69
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

I did plan to use Dynamat inside mine ....but starting to think again now if there is no gain

soc123_au
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

LEEH69 wrote
I did plan to use Dynamat inside mine ....but starting to think again now if there is no gain

It really depends why you want to use it. It isn't a miracle sound deadener that will cut out all external noise. It will improve the acoustics of the sound system by a good margin, it will stop noise from the floor/panels resonating & it will help with road noise. Heat not so much unless used with dynaliner or an equivalent.

It's not too often I disagree with ozbilt, but to not fit it in case you need to repair the floor later makes me laugh. If you need to repair your floor after a resto then removing the dynamat is the least of your issues. In saying that we are all entitled to our opinions, if we all thought the same the reason for the forum would be negated.

Album Link Below.

s608.photobucket.com/p...s_Prestige

mert
Mustang Maniac

0 👍 / 0 👎

in case you need to repair the floor later makes me laugh

Exactly the mindset of many POs that many of us mention when showing the results of previous short term fix/repair/improvement views... and saying "what were they thinking..."

I'd bet 10 years on there will be the "what idiot slapped Dyanmat everywhere.." posts...

It's a product for those that think it adds value. To each their own.

8R01S
8R03S-GT
8F01X -EXP500 Repli-bute
8R01C-Cal Special

hybrid
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

mert wrote

That's pretty much every product in the world.
If it didn't provide some kind of perceived value, you wouldn't buy it.

soc123_au
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

mert wrote
in case you need to repair the floor later makes me laugh

Exactly the mindset of many POs that many of us mention when showing the results of previous short term fix/repair/improvement views... and saying "what were they thinking..."

I'd bet 10 years on there will be the "what idiot slapped Dyanmat everywhere.." posts...

Fair point I suppose, my impression when I have seen that comment was more short term. We have to remove the oem equivalent all the time, most often repairing boot floors after a rear ender. It's just not that difficult compared to rectifying whatever issue is causing the need for it to be removed.

Album Link Below.

s608.photobucket.com/p...s_Prestige

gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

ACTstanglover wrote
gbx78 wrote

Thanks, appreciate that. Where do you get the ACC carpets from? So you basically just have carpet and underlay, no dynamat or alternative at all.

It would be the dynamat alternative I guess. You can get it from most online places in the US as per your link. I shopped around for cheapest shipping.

The 40mm thats referred to is where the jute plus mass back plus plush thickness which is not under the entire section. If you were in sydney I could show you. But really as most have said personal preference.

Either or I can vouch that something is better than nothing. Acoustics are great for me. Sound system works well.

'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid

'You can never have too many gauges' -
Boofhead

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 👍 / 0 👎

soc123_au wrote

It's not too often I disagree with ozbilt, but to not fit it in case you need to repair the floor later makes me laugh. If you need to repair your floor after a resto then removing the dynamat is the least of your issues.

I never specified floors, what I said was ......

ozbilt wrote
I agree with mert about the Dynamat, or derivatives, for the reasons of repair. That stuff is a bitch to get back off to attempt a repair on any panel that has it applied.

I have seen in pictures here (there is one car at your shop, maybe two .... Poke ) & elsewhere on the net, having that bloody stuff plastered everywhere, including on quarter panels, door skins, front/rear firewalls & even under the roof ........

I had a car in my shop in California that had an early version of that crap inside & rhino lining under it. It took me 3 days & he was charged the 24 hours (at my shop rate then of US$108 per hour) to remove it so it could be re-repaired. The previous shop had put it on to cover up faulty repairs. I could not imagine an insurance company allowing any decent time to remove it if it was an insurance repair.

Kerry

Ronin187
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Well, after taking my car for the first time in 2 years today, I can honestly say that its made a hell of a difference.

Its definitly a lot quieter than it used to be, the cabin is cooler also ( no residual heat coming through the trans tunnel - but I'm attributing this to the DEI liner as well )

I did put two layers on in some spot however - firewall and trans tunnel, also did the roof before I put the single piece headliner in.

Now my body is solid, good floors etc, but I still think that it is going to be a pin in the hoop if I ever have to lift it up...

All times are Australia/Sydney
Go to page Previous 1, 2, 3 Next

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
   Husky65 

ozbilt 

cage 

rkmiller73 

nassi 

scedd 

ComingEvents
Mon Dec 25, 2017